Customer Service 866.965.0400

50:50 Water/Alcohol mix?

Superdutytd

Question

I just wanted to make sure that I am supposed to use half distilled water and half Isopropyl alcohol to clean the surface after I'm done polishing it? I just wanted to make sure this was the correct alcohol to use.

On edit* I just found out is is isopropyl alcohol. Sorry about the lame post! Mods feel free to delete it.

Edited by Superdutytd

14 answers to this question

I just wanted to make sure that I am supposed to use half distilled water and half Isopropyl alcohol to clean the surface after I'm done polishing it? I just wanted to make sure this was the correct alcohol to use.

On edit* I just found out is is isopropyl alcohol. Sorry about the lame post! Mods feel free to delete it.

Definitely Isopropyl. Stock up on the distilled water too if you plan on grabbing the Adam's carnuba wax: Apply a thin layer of wax, buff, lightly spray it with ice cold distilled water, and then buff dry:2thumbs:

Edited by Baron_Von_Awesome

Definitely Isopropyl. Stock up on the distilled water too if you plan on grabbing the Adam's carnuba wax: Apply a thin layer of wax, buff, lightly spray it with ice cold distilled water, and then buff dry:2thumbs:

Wait now what? Mist cold water on the wax and then buff off? What does this do?

I can't find the thread anymore but there was one talking about using alcohol/water mixture to remove the polish after buffing to see what your paint really looks like, leaving it clean to put your first coat of wax or sealant on. More info on how this works would be great too. :thumbsup:

Some polishes, waxes and especially glazes have fillers in them. Fillers will, as the name implies, fill in the small scratches and make the paint look better than it really is. While this is good for short term gain (car shows and such), the fillers wear off quickly and you are left with a scratched up finish in a week or two. The alcohol will remove the fillers and you can see what your paint REALLY looks like. This is not for the faint of heart. It will make more work for you, but if you want perfect paint, it's the best way to go.

Some polishes, waxes and especially glazes have fillers in them. Fillers will, as the name implies, fill in the small scratches and make the paint look better than it really is. While this is good for short term gain (car shows and such), the fillers wear off quickly and you are left with a scratched up finish in a week or two. The alcohol will remove the fillers and you can see what your paint REALLY looks like. This is not for the faint of heart. It will make more work for you, but if you want perfect paint, it's the best way to go.

Thanks Robert.

I think this thread along with using chilled distilled water to apply carnauba wax should be moved into the tips and tricks portion of the forums. If these aren't tricks then I don't know what are. :thumbsup: