Customer Service 866.965.0400

New car = Fine Machine Polish?

DCRANER

Question

I have a new Vette, when I brought it home I clayed it and used Turtle Wax Ice that I had on hand. So, it looks quite nice and is garage kept. I maintain it right now with DS and Adam's wash soap.

But, is there any benefit to polishing it and then waxing & maintaining with DS as I do now?

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

There is a big benifit. All you need to do is put the super machine wax on it as it sealent(If you wanr not needed because it is stored in a Garage). After that apply the Butter wax or paste to give it the shine. The you can apply the ice because it is like the BSG for that extra bing. Then just wipe when neede with the Detail spray.

I recommend polishing it especially since you clayed it, claying can leave some micro scratches. And I don't know if you have a good set of lights but it can be scary to see what your finish really looks like even on a new car! So I would definitely polish and follow up with a good coat of wax, and maintain it with DS, and apply BSG when needed. :thumbsup:

I recommend polishing it especially since you clayed it, claying can leave some micro scratches. And I don't know if you have a good set of lights but it can be scary to see what your finish really looks like even on a new car! So I would definitely polish and follow up with a good coat of wax, and maintain it with DS, and apply BSG when needed. :thumbsup:

I have a ton of floresent lights in my garage, can't hide even the smallest swirl mark. But, right now there is not a swirl mark to be found.

So, is it overkill to start hitting it with polish / buffer?

flourescents are terrible for swirl detection... a set of hallogen spots (like the 500w work lights you can buy at sears for $29.99) will show you the true nature of your paint.

As for polish and buff, I'd say do it... a little fine machine polish on the white pad will do wonders even on a brand new finish, then topped with some Machine Super Wax it'll look 100x better than it does with that Turtle crap... er... I mean turtle wax on there IMO.

flourescents are terrible for swirl detection... a set of hallogen spots (like the 500w work lights you can buy at sears for $29.99) will show you the true nature of your paint.

As for polish and buff, I'd say do it... a little fine machine polish on the white pad will do wonders even on a brand new finish, then topped with some Machine Super Wax it'll look 100x better than it does with that Turtle crap... er... I mean turtle wax on there IMO.

So, you don't like my lights? :( O/k. :glasses:The finish on the Vette is not too bad, and I was tempted to hit it with the #3000 3M pad & buff it out, but I figured leave it alone.

I am tempted to hit it with the polish, and use my buffer & 3M fine foam pad. I know, you probably don't like my 3M pad, but it is real nice and I am very experienced with the buffer.

Thanks. :rockon:

Really I would hit with the FMP and a white pad and then do some fine machine waxing. Of course I hope your paste wax is on the way too!

So, the suggestion is for my new car:

1. Wack off the Turtle ICE

2. Polish with Fine Machine Polish

I'm sure they don't dislike your lights, but a good set of halogens usually tells a different tale. And if your happy with the way it looks thats all that matters, but I would strip off the old stuff and apply Fine Machine Polish with the white pad and follow with the wax of your choice, I'm waiting for the new paste.

So, the suggestion is for my new car:

1. Wack off the Turtle ICE

2. Polish with Fine Machine Polish

Correct. Wash your car with liquid dish soap to remove all the wax, then, personally, depending on the length of time it has been since you clayed, you might want to reclay again. I would hit it with FMP after that, then SMW, then BSG (or, if you purchased the new Americana, do a coat or two over the SMW).

His car is brand new and I beleive he just clayed it. He also almost forget the most important step though, which is taking pictures for all of us. :D

I took a video last night, and just opened a YouTube a/c, so I will try to post that tonight. Too bad it is raining in N.J. as the Cyber Gray looks, well, like just dark gray in my garage.

So, I guess you guys are going to blast my GM MasterCard on more Adam's stuff.

The plan is:

1. Dawn washing of the car.

2. Since clay bar a few weeks ago, that should give me a clean base.

3. Fine Machine Polish (with my 3M foam pad, I know, I know.)

4. Order Americana Wax, and wax it.

5. Follow & maintain with DS.

Is that o/k? My video also shows my Harley and a 58 Fuelie Vette being restored in my garage. That is done down to #3000 3M pad, looks real nice so far.

Thanks all.

So, you don't like my lights? :( O/k. :glasses:The finish on the Vette is not too bad, and I was tempted to hit it with the #3000 3M pad & buff it out, but I figured leave it alone.

I am tempted to hit it with the polish, and use my buffer & 3M fine foam pad. I know, you probably don't like my 3M pad, but it is real nice and I am very experienced with the buffer.

Thanks. :rockon:

Nothing personal against your lights, its just that florescents don't usually show you the true extent of your swirling as compared to a hallogen spot. I personally have no first hand experience w/ 3M pads so if thats what you use who am I to tell you differently. We may all be fans of Adams products here, but far from blinded by loyalty. The thing about detailing is there is no one truly perfect/right approach or product... just opinions and experience. Stick with what works for you. :thumbsup:

The plan is:

If it were me, this is the way I'd go:

1) strip wash (dawn)

2) Fine machine polish (optionally followed w/ revive polish)

3) Your choice of wax, Buttery or Americana both being excellent choices.

4) Follow w/ Brilliant Spray Glaze

5) Use DS for ongoing cleanup between washes, for light dusting, etc.

Edited by Dylan06SS

That is a good plan Doug, Any thought of adding BSG over the wax ?

You can really see the Blue in it outside, at the dealers it looks ok but you get it outside and it is just amazing !!!!

I took a video last night, and just opened a YouTube a/c, so I will try to post that tonight. Too bad it is raining in N.J. as the Cyber Gray looks, well, like just dark gray in my garage.

So, I guess you guys are going to blast my GM MasterCard on more Adam's stuff.

The plan is:

Is that o/k? My video also shows my Harley and a 58 Fuelie Vette being restored in my garage. That is done down to #3000 3M pad, looks real nice so far.

Thanks all.

If your car stays in the garage you most likely won't need to clay again for at least another 6 months depending on how often you take it out. I clayed the vette last september and it still passes the plastic bag test

other than that, your plan looks spot on

Nothing personal against your lights, its just that florescents don't usually show you the true extent of your swirling as compared to a hallogen spot. I personally have no first hand experience w/ 3M pads so if thats what you use who am I to tell you differently. We may all be fans of Adams products here, but far from blinded by loyalty. The thing about detailing is there is no one truly perfect/right approach or product... just opinions and experience. Stick with what works for you. :thumbsup:

If it were me, this is the way I'd go:

1) strip wash (dawn)

2) Fine machine polish (optionally followed w/ revive polish)

3) Your choice of wax, Buttery or Americana both being excellent choices.

4) Follow w/ Brilliant Spray Glaze

5) Use DS for ongoing cleanup between washes, for light dusting, etc.

O/k, I appreciate your thoughts, I'll get a plan together.

Not trying to be cheap, but the 3M pads and polishes were quite expensive and are of high quality. I have these for the wet sanding / polishing of the 58 Vette I am restoring.

I'll probably see if the Adam's pads fit my buffer sticky pad base.

Thanks again.

O/k, I appreciate your thoughts, I'll get a plan together.

Not trying to be cheap, but the 3M pads and polishes were quite expensive and are of high quality. I have these for the wet sanding / polishing of the 58 Vette I am restoring.

I'll probably see if the Adam's pads fit my buffer sticky pad base.

Thanks again.

You should absolutely use those Doug, they are excellent products :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pics, we want pics!

O/k. Wife's camara died, so got a new one and took some pics last Sunday, will try to post tonight after work.

This will be before the Adam's plan. Right now I maintain it with DS, looks good I think. Is the BSG really a nicer finish than the DS?