Customer Service 866.965.0400

Microfiber Towel Care

Junkman2008

Question

This question comes up often and I always have to go search for my post on the matter. Thus, I decided to create a thread just in case someone is searching for this information. :thumbsup:

How to Wash Microfiber Towels

First off, you only want to wash them in COLD water. DO NOT use a lot of soap. My towels never get very dirty or greasy because they are only used to wipe polish or wax from the car, thus I can use a gentle detergent like Woolite. You don't want to use the hash detergents like the stuff you use on your regular clothing. If your towels are a little dirtier than normal, let them soak in the washing machine overnight. Simply add the proper amount of Woolite to the washer, add the towels and fill the washer to the proper level. Use the gentle cycle to wash these towels. Allow the wash cycle to begin for 1 minute so that the Woolite has a chance to mix with the towels and then shut the washer down. Let it sit for as long as necessary (overnight if that's what you need, shorter times for towels not as bad), and then start the washer back up later.

DO NOT use any fabric softener of any kind! Do not use too much Woolite! Read the bottle, a little goes a long way. If 1x is good, 2x is worse in this case. Also NEVER. EVER, EVER wash these towels with any other article of clothing, especially bath towels and wash clothes. That will ruin them too.

After the wash, DO NOT DRY THEM IN A DRYER USING HIGH HEAT!!! (if you do, you may as well use them to check the oil because they are useless at that point). I don't use a dryer at all. I allow them to air dry. String up a clothes line in your garage or outside somewhere and buy some clothes pins (if you can find some, that's some old school equipment right there!). If fabric sheets are used with these towels, it will destroy them. That will cause them to start scratching the crap out of your car. Drying them in the dryer with too much heat will do the same thing, that why I tell guys never to machine dry them.

If you follow these rules, your towels will keep the consistency and softness that they had from day one. If you allow your wives or girlfriends to do this, trust me, they will screw them up unless they have read this. Don't assume that they know how to do this and don't let them tell you that they know what they are doing when it comes to microfiber. They do not own, nor have they probably ever owned a piece of material like this so they will not be aware of these requirements. Test them before you hand them over and see if they get it right. I guarantee they won't.

I just had a funny thought. I would love to see the look on some of your wives faces when you ask for some Woolite. lol.gif

• Answers 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Do any of you guys experience dirty stains in your white drying towel? How do you guys get rid of them completely?

If you have put them in the dryer already, forget it. They're set it stone (another reason I don't dry mine in the dryer). If not, I use APC directly on any stains BEFORE I wash them. The secret is to not get them THAT dirty in the first place. How, you ask? If you are wiping on your paint and they are getting black stains on them, then the car needed washing with soap and water, not Waterless Wash. The dust you remove should first be removed with a California Duster as I did in my last video series. If that dust or dirt is matted to the car, then it will leave those black stains on your towels. That's why I use my towels as I do in my Waterless Wash video series.

a small splash of bleach mixed into the water you are going to soak your towels in will help with the stains. My white drying towel gets giant pink spots after use, and that tiny bit of bleach in the water makes all the difference. when I use bleach, i wash the drying towel seperately from the plush ones

Junkman,

You said in earlier video's that if the MF towels had a label sewed in them that they are good for changing oil, not cleaning your car, but someone mentioned earlier that the TAG said wash in cold water. Do these towels have sewn in labels? Thanks

Thanks for the info, I have just ordered my stuff but haven't received it yet, just wanted to make sure, Appreciate the help. John

The towels you are going to receive will feel nothing like anything that you've bought in stores. Once you feel these, the auto store towels will feel like sandpaper.

Well, looks like the microfibers I have now are devoted to undercarriage and wheel cleaning now. >.< I'll deffinitley get some new microfibers in time for summer and some woolite too haha.

thats why i keep a couple packages of costco microfiber towels around when im cleaning under the hood or the door jambs or wheel wells and even the wheels they are nowhere near as nice.

werd.gif

Costco MF towels are great on heavily soiled areas. I also use them to clean the interior as the interior can get pretty gunky. I only use the good MF on the plastic surfaces.

Wow very interesting read for sure. Seems as if I now have a large amount of wheel/door jam etc.... towels. Just purchased every towel offered and will be making sure to take extra good care of them.

So I have a question, (new member to the forums). I got all set up with my adams gear and gave my car it's first detail this last weekend. Wow it looks awesome. But I used the Super Machine Wax (SMW) because my car sits outside when I have to go into the office so protecting the finish was priority. Now I used the trick in the video for using the porter cable + MF towel to buff off some of the residue. After I was done I hosed the sucker down with APC and sprayed it out with a hose, twice. It's still carrying the color of the SMW but feels soft. Would it just be color staining from the SMW, or do I need to hit it again with APC, and any other hints to remove the staining? Thanks in advance for the help! :)