Customer Service 866.965.0400

Microfiber Towel Care

Junkman2008

Question

This question comes up often and I always have to go search for my post on the matter. Thus, I decided to create a thread just in case someone is searching for this information. :thumbsup:

How to Wash Microfiber Towels

First off, you only want to wash them in COLD water. DO NOT use a lot of soap. My towels never get very dirty or greasy because they are only used to wipe polish or wax from the car, thus I can use a gentle detergent like Woolite. You don't want to use the hash detergents like the stuff you use on your regular clothing. If your towels are a little dirtier than normal, let them soak in the washing machine overnight. Simply add the proper amount of Woolite to the washer, add the towels and fill the washer to the proper level. Use the gentle cycle to wash these towels. Allow the wash cycle to begin for 1 minute so that the Woolite has a chance to mix with the towels and then shut the washer down. Let it sit for as long as necessary (overnight if that's what you need, shorter times for towels not as bad), and then start the washer back up later.

DO NOT use any fabric softener of any kind! Do not use too much Woolite! Read the bottle, a little goes a long way. If 1x is good, 2x is worse in this case. Also NEVER. EVER, EVER wash these towels with any other article of clothing, especially bath towels and wash clothes. That will ruin them too.

After the wash, DO NOT DRY THEM IN A DRYER USING HIGH HEAT!!! (if you do, you may as well use them to check the oil because they are useless at that point). I don't use a dryer at all. I allow them to air dry. String up a clothes line in your garage or outside somewhere and buy some clothes pins (if you can find some, that's some old school equipment right there!). If fabric sheets are used with these towels, it will destroy them. That will cause them to start scratching the crap out of your car. Drying them in the dryer with too much heat will do the same thing, that why I tell guys never to machine dry them.

If you follow these rules, your towels will keep the consistency and softness that they had from day one. If you allow your wives or girlfriends to do this, trust me, they will screw them up unless they have read this. Don't assume that they know how to do this and don't let them tell you that they know what they are doing when it comes to microfiber. They do not own, nor have they probably ever owned a piece of material like this so they will not be aware of these requirements. Test them before you hand them over and see if they get it right. I guarantee they won't.

I just had a funny thought. I would love to see the look on some of your wives faces when you ask for some Woolite. lol.gif

• Answers 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

So I have a question, (new member to the forums). I got all set up with my adams gear and gave my car it's first detail this last weekend. Wow it looks awesome. But I used the Super Machine Wax (SMW) because my car sits outside when I have to go into the office so protecting the finish was priority. Now I used the trick in the video for using the porter cable + MF towel to buff off some of the residue. After I was done I hosed the sucker down with APC and sprayed it out with a hose, twice. It's still carrying the color of the SMW but feels soft. Would it just be color staining from the SMW, or do I need to hit it again with APC, and any other hints to remove the staining? Thanks in advance for the help! :)

You can try boiling them as well but it's normal to stain them, which is why I hate white towels. If you use a bit less MSW on the pad it'll be easier to remove. Also spritzing the MF with some WW or DS will make removing it easier.

APC will remove all the bad stuff so it shouldn't be an issue. Also putting them in a bucket of hot water with Dawn mixed in will cut the stuff. I will do that from time to time.

Chris

Just to add a little to the excellent advice AJ posted:

If your towels are a little more soiled than usual, lets say you accidentally wiped a panel that had grease or road grime on it and you're not entirely confident your usual MF care routine will work I recommend using a dedicated microfiber detergent. Personally I use MicroRestore for all my MF cleaning... feel free to PM me if you need help finding a place to buy it.

510PG1N0NQL._SL500_AA280_.gif

Also, if your washer has the setting, putting them thru an extra rinse cycle is never a bad idea. Lets face it, these towels are premium... a little extra rinse to make extra sure everything is out of them could never hurt. Not to be contrary to AJ, I do use the dryer, but mine does have an "AIR DRY" setting where it tumbles them with no heat. This gets the majority of the water out of the towel and significantly cuts the time it takes them to dry out once hung up. If you go this route just be SURE that your dryer doesn't heat up on this setting... not all dryers are the same.

I use the same stuff as Dylan. I like it!

So I have a question, (new member to the forums). I got all set up with my adams gear and gave my car it's first detail this last weekend. Wow it looks awesome. But I used the Super Machine Wax (SMW) because my car sits outside when I have to go into the office so protecting the finish was priority. Now I used the trick in the video for using the porter cable + MF towel to buff off some of the residue. After I was done I hosed the sucker down with APC and sprayed it out with a hose, twice. It's still carrying the color of the SMW but feels soft. Would it just be color staining from the SMW, or do I need to hit it again with APC, and any other hints to remove the staining? Thanks in advance for the help! :)

Why not just wash them?

i told my fiance a couple days ago, "when we get married, your not allowed to touch my microfiber towels!" she replied, "then your not allowed to touch me!"

:help:

she doesn't really have a sense of humor like me :jester:

i told my fiance a couple days ago, "when we get married, your not allowed to touch my microfiber towels!" she replied, "then your not allowed to touch me!"

Make her read my thread on the care for these towels. She'll probably think that it is more hassle than it's worth!

I hate to tell you but you might as well keep her from touching your MF towels. The "your not allowed to touch me!" part comes with marriage anyway. :jester:

Not as bad as everyone makes it out to be as long as you are marrying the right one! I have only been married a little over a year and half but it is just as great as the day I meet her 7 or so years ago! She will tell you that she doesn't mess with anything in the garage! She has the house and I have the garage!:jester:

Not as bad as everyone makes it out to be as long as you are marrying the right one! I have only been married a little over a year and half but it is just as great as the day I meet her 7 or so years ago! She will tell you that she doesn't mess with anything in the garage! She has the house and I have the garage!:jester:

Diddo! I haven't been married even a year now but we lived in sin for over a year and IMO it's all about finding the right one. I treat her right and she treats me right. Oh and we COMMUNICATE! :thumbsup:

i know Dylan posted what he uses for his MF towels but i was wondering if Adam ever thought about getting into having his own? im sure we would all buy it

Let's just say he isn't against it... ;)

Funny that you guys talk about finding the right woman who will understand your love of cars. I am having the same problems with my man. I find the best way to avoid the issues about spending money on cars is to just not tell him what I bought that day. As long as he doesn't see the bill, he doesn't care.

Also, I've gotten quite a few marriage proposals from guys who keep saying that it's rare to find a woman who is into cars, home theater, and computers. I just wish my husband valued those traits! Oh well, it's not so bad. At least he doesn't mind if I have my toys.

Funny that you guys talk about finding the right woman who will understand your love of cars. I am having the same problems with my man. I find the best way to avoid the issues about spending money on cars is to just not tell him what I bought that day. As long as he doesn't see the bill, he doesn't care.

Also, I've gotten quite a few marriage proposals from guys who keep saying that it's rare to find a woman who is into cars, home theater, and computers. I just wish my husband valued those traits! Oh well, it's not so bad. At least he doesn't mind if I have my toys.

My wife may on occasion tease me about my obsession, but as soon as I do her vehicle (like tonight) then here come the compliments! :rockon:

She is responsible for this obsession though. She told me years ago I needed a hobby and being the great husband I am I listened to my wife.:thumbsup:

Oh BTW, she refers to my MF towels as "your precious babies."

I put mine in the washing machine on the handwash cycle, only about 25 minutes of time. Then I hang dry them.

Only use soap that doesn't contain fabric softener. Sometimes I will put vinegar into the bleach part so that the vinegar will come out during the rinsing progress and help bring back some of the life of the MF.

Did you get him from Adam's? If you did, you could have sent him back for 110% of your money back! :lol:

Sounds like he's broke. I'd send him back to where you got him if I were you. Then order you your very on Junkman. He is totally in to your hobby! :banana::D

Now let me go find out who's been pushing up on my Terri. I got dibs daggonit! :mad: