Customer Service 866.965.0400

The Porter-Cable 7424 Operator's Manual

Junkman2008

Question

You can download the PC-7424 owner's manual by clicking this link. It is in the PDF format, thus you must have the free Adobe Reader installed in order to view it. It will open within your browser window after you click the link.

If you actually want to save the manual on your computer, right-click the link and choose "save link as", then choose a location on your computer to save it.

Most folks looking for the manual are looking for information on what size extension cord to use with the PC-7424. I made this chart which describes the recommended extension cord specifications, based on data found in the operator's manual.

The manual specifically states that an undersized (extension) cord will cause a drop in line voltage resulting in loss of power and overheating! Remember, gauge and ampere are both equally important so you must ensure that your extension cord meets both specifications! Also, you must ensure that you are supplying the PC with enough current source. If you have 8 generators, 5 halogen stands and a boom box plugged into the same outlet, you are probably starving the PC of current even though your extension cord is of the correct gauge. Keep that in mind when you choose a power outlet.

pc_extension_recommend.jpg

If you are experiencing a problem with your uint getting hot or turning off for some unknown reason, this is most likely the problem. Ensure that the extension cable you use meets both the gauge and ampere that is recommended by the manufacturer! :thumbsup:

The Junkman

Edited by Junkman2008

Is it common for the PC7424 to vibrate alot when working? Or is that a sign of shortage on power from the extension cord? I used an orange extension cord around the house and it seems like the same thickness of the cord on the PC.

The size of the insulation (jacket) has NOTHING to so with the size of the wire inside. Look on the jacket for some numbers imprinted on it. Should be 14AGW for 50 feet or less, and 12AWG for 100 feet of cable.

Edited by Krzdimond

Should be imprinted, or molded into the cord itself, about every 12 to 18 inches. I have some that are easy to read, and others not so much.

The 7424, if I remember, is 6A, so that cord should be fine.

For future reference, Volts times amps = watts; and watts divided by volts = amps. I had a chart somewhere that had amps times feet = AWG, but I can't find it....

I just used it as it came out of the box. I just put on the back plat, and adams pad. Im not sure what the "counter weight" is. If i remember i think its the metal half-circle thing. It says something about using only a 5" pad?

I just used it as it came out of the box. I just put on the back plat, and adams pad. Im not sure what the "counter weight" is. If i remember i think its the metal half-circle thing. It says something about using only a 5" pad?

You must be turning the thing all the way up to 6. I seldom do that for a few reasons. If you insist on working at that speed, purchase a 6" counter weight. Personally, I wouldn't be working with the PC turned up that high.

If you are only going 50 feet, I would stick with what the chart states. Too small of a gauge is bad, that I know. I'm not sure how too large would affect the polisher, although I know there is a point where too large would have adverse affects.

Will do :patriot:

Thanks, you've got a brutha' all blushing over here! Now you will have to attend one of my clinics. :2thumbs:

:patriot: yes sir! I think I to get educated. BTW-I meant the 370Z forum. I remember you putting the halogen light on a car to show the paint-which was perfect . Like you.:cool:

:patriot: yes sir! I think I to get educated. BTW-I meant the 370Z forum. I remember you putting the halogen light on a car to show the paint-which was perfect . Like you.:cool:

Yes, I post over there too. Your Z is almost the same color as my ride so I know how good it can look. The closest that I will be to you is when I run the Dragon, which I plan on doing later on this year. :2thumbs:

Yes, I post over there too. Your Z is almost the same color as my ride so I know how good it can look. The closest that I will be to you is when I run the Dragon, which I plan on doing later on this year. :2thumbs:

what /where is the Dragon? I will go if I can.