Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cold start up in viper..Help me pls?

6spdg37s

HI everyone,

I have an 06 SRT-10 Convt; The car has about 2600 miles on it, when i aquired it in January it had about 1792. The car sits in the garage all week and is only driven on weekends. When i start the car after it has been sitting for a few days, its idle is really off until it warms up...it sounds as if the fuel is not getting to the engine. It has even stalled once or twice and then has to crank a bit to turn over. once the car is running its fine. i can turn it off it starts again instantly. what is going on? is this normal? I would think its a fuel pump issue? HELP ME PLEASE? im concerned i also believe i still have the balance of the factory warrenty remaining but i would like to know what is going on. Thank You in Advance guys !!

John

now ive been told by a few people ive known who have had vipers that u need to let it warm up for about 20 mins in winter and like 10 in spring/summer/fall before driving it. but it sounds like something is possibly up with the fuel pump maybe sludge from lack of bein drivin in the past? or faulty fuel pump?

<!-- / message -->

^ thanks i mean its not a real real issue..its just more of an annoyance..the stock idle of a viper is similar to a cammed car..really rough. but the fuel pump sounds like the walboro my buddy has on his EVO which confuses me cause im pretty sure ur not supposed to hear a stock fuel pump like that... making me wonder if its malfunctioning

^ thanks i mean its not a real real issue..its just more of an annoyance..the stock idle of a viper is similar to a cammed car..really rough. but the fuel pump sounds like the walboro my buddy has on his EVO which confuses me cause im pretty sure ur not supposed to hear a stock fuel pump like that... making me wonder if its malfunctioning

Don't you have somewhere you can take it to for them to put a scope on it for Free??

Do you have a deductible on your warranty?? If its not very much you might want to bring it to the dealership and have everything gone over while they have it. It might be cheaper depending on how much parts cost.

i have the balance of a factory warrenty left.. so there should not be a deductable. i spoke to someone on a viper forum..its a strong possibility it is the battery based on what i have seen. 8.3 liter v-10 = HUGE fuel pump...weak battery would mean it has a hard time powering the fuel pump and other itemsn on cold startup right

My ZO6 sits all week waiting on the weekends also. I have an Optima redtop battery in it, in my opinion, the best battery out there.

I also keep her plugged in with a battery tender all week just to keep the charge good. You may want to invest in a batter tender for it.

Good luck, and let us know what you find!

I'd make sure you cold crank it too before actually starting it, to get the oil worked up into the engine first. I forget how to do it, but you basically have the starter kick the engine over a few times without actually starting it...