Customer Service 866.965.0400

Exterior Trim problem and VRT

RickP330

Question

Hello All,

I just started using VRT on all the plastic / rubber trim on the outside of my daily driver. I've noticed in several places it is now looking discolored. I though perhaps I applied too much in one place and it discolored the plastic trim? Is this possible? Please take a look at the attached video and let me know what you think I can do.

http://www.youtube.com'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvveiV_T3Qc&hl=en&fs=1'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvveiV_T3Qc&hl=en&fs=1'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvveiV_T3Qc&hl=en&fs=1">

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><EMBED src="<a href=" type="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" target="_blank" href="http://www.youtube.com" http://www.youtube.com http:>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvveiV_T3Qc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></EMBED>

Kind regards,

Rick

Humm, some difficulities.... Please check here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvveiV_T3Qc

24 answers to this question

I can't get your video to play but here is what you could try, discoloration is usually an interaction between the VRT and the last product used on the trim. I would spray down the trim with APC or GWC and give it a good scrub then wash the vehicle. After it is completely dry reapply the VRT :2thumbs:

True, the interaction of a silicone/petroleum product and our water based VRT can cause a funky interaction. Removing the old silicone first typically will do the trick.

Still, if you can try to post photos, we can take a better look.

Thanks, and we'll get this right!:burnout:

You can use GWC on plastic parts to clean?

It's probably overkill, and our APC would be more appropriate. Still, the GWC can be diluted 50% to clean plastic parts. :2thumbs:

I think it was a U-Tube problem, Lets try this?

The embedding doesn't seem to be working for me.

This is a new car, and the VRT has been the only product I have specifically used on the trim. I'll try the APC this weekend; use a microfiber towel to scrub it?

RickP

Edited by Adam
Embedded Video

Yep.....needs to be cleaned:D

Okay, so that should come out? I'll be detailing this weekend (hopefully) I'll let you know how it goes. maybe I'll take out the APC tonight and give it a test run.

Rick

:cheers:

Just embedded the video for you Rick, and I agree, cleaning off the old stuff should net you the desired results!

Thanks,:thumbsup:

Excellent,

Thanks adam. I suppose I should go out there now and give it a shot!!

Rick

Okay,

It is coming off. I did the area around the mirrors and it's clean. The areas under the windshield are more stubborn. Two applications of APC and it cleared up a little, but still discolored. Now that I think about it, I had "another" product that I used before I got the VRT. I guess that's what's going on? Anyway, thanks guys.

Rick

Okay,

It is coming off. I did the area around the mirrors and it's clean. The areas under the windshield are more stubborn. Two applications of APC and it cleared up a little, but still discolored. Now that I think about it, I had "another" product that I used before I got the VRT. I guess that's what's going on? Anyway, thanks guys.

Rick

How are you applying the APC? Spray some, let it sit for a minute or two, then spray bit more and work one small section of stained trim at a time with a polishing pad brush or the stiffest bristled toothbrush you can find.

I too am having some discoloration on my exterior trim after cleaning it off with APC and then applying a small amount of SVRT. I was thinking i used too little SVRT and was going to apply more once i get home. Should i not?

I'll send pics if i can.

Please advise.

Mahalo,

Ryan

Aloha Ryan, and Mahalo for using our products!

Try to apply some additional SVRT, it may just be a bit dry, even on the island. Is the car parked outdoors day/ night? What year is it?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Aloha Ryan, and Mahalo for using our products!

Try to apply some additional SVRT, it may just be a bit dry, even on the island. Is the car parked outdoors day/ night? What year is it?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Wow. Mahalo for replying Adam. My car is parked in my garage at night, but is outdoors in the sun when im at work. My car is a 2010 BMW 3 series. I noticed some white spots on my exterior window trim. I will try to reapply again when i get home.

Mahalo for your advise. I'll send warm sunshine your way :)

How about best practice removing it from paint and glass. I'm not afraid to smear those areas, but It isn't as simple as a wipe with microfiber. Even glass cleaner seems to spread it to a haze. I think detail spray does the job on paint though and I ALWAYS spray some detail spray magic at the end of a detail session. Its my LLSP (last, last step product).

Usually a dry polishing towel will get it off paint and glass. Otherwise DS or GC will get it.

Sent from my iDevice using data nodes and algorithms.

I had a similar problem with the diffuser on my Camaro. A spot or two would turn lighter, almost chalkie. It looked likr something had been applied and ran down it. I touched it up with In and Out spray and it would cover it.

It took me a while to get it cleaned well enough, but SVRT covers it just fine now. So it is a problem with the trim and not the product. Likely something the dealer uses.

Edited by Feets31

Let's see some photos friends! Cars that spend their days outdoors have drier rubber, and need more love. Especially more SPF. Black certainly is the most apt color to absorb heat, and rubber doesn't get the love that paint does.

Please post photos, and for our friends with cars that live outdoors during the day: APC the rubber at least once per month, and use SVRT every single week, at least once! In&Out Spray does not have enough SPF protection to keep rubber protected throughout the week.

:thumbsup:

Let's see some photos friends! Cars that spend their days outdoors have drier rubber, and need more love. Especially more SPF. Black certainly is the most apt color to absorb heat, and rubber doesn't get the love that paint does.

Please post photos, and for our friends with cars that live outdoors during the day: APC the rubber at least once per month, and use SVRT every single week, at least once! In&Out Spray does not have enough SPF protection to keep rubber protected throughout the week.

:thumbsup:

Hopefully you can see it in the picture, but this is what it looks like now after 2 days of SVRT on my exterior window trim of my 2010 BMW 3 series. Before applying, i gave my car a thorough wash and i even cleaned all exterior rubber with APC.

After the I took the picture, I gave it another coat of SVRT, so maybe tomorrow after being in the sun it will stay black. I will let you know the results.

rimz808-albums887-4657.jpg

Let us know, I was thinking of trying it but will wait to see if you get it right before I order.

Thanks for the pics:)

Kevin

Hopefully you can see it in the picture, but this is what it looks like now after 2 days of SVRT on my exterior window trim of my 2010 BMW 3 series. Before applying, i gave my car a thorough wash and i even cleaned all exterior rubber with APC.

After the I took the picture, I gave it another coat of SVRT, so maybe tomorrow after being in the sun it will stay black. I will let you know the results.

rimz808-albums887-4657.jpg

So i applied the SVRT again over the first application. These are the results after 2 days in the sun. Seemed to have worked. My rubber stayed black and didnt discolor after being in the sun. Hopefully it will stay like this for a while.

rimz808-albums887-4700.jpg