Customer Service 866.965.0400

Anyone use a California Duster?

AZGTO

Question

22 answers to this question

A lot of people will tell you "OH GOD NO!! It'll scratch your paint!!" but I have yet to see anyone provide evidence to back that claim.

I use a Cali Duster on my TBSS pretty much every morning to remove LIGHT (thats important) dust from the panels. If used correctly there is no reason not to use one. Being that mine is black and I am about as neurotic about swirls as anyone I'd be the best candidate to tell you I've never seen any issues from using one.

Like most things I think it gets a bad wrap from people who have used it improperly. Lets start with the facts:

The dusters fibers are coated in paraffin wax (thus the reason you wrap a new one in newspaper before use) Its not like you're dragging bare fibers accross your paint, the wax is going to keep that from happening.

Never apply pressure, the tips of the individual strands should barely touch the surface and you should work in long linear strokes from one end of a panel to another.

Never use if the dust contamination is anything more than light. I've seen people at car shows use cali dusters to practically scrub caked on dirt from their fenders. Mine is pretty much limited to the roof, hood, and upper 2/3rds of the door/fenders. Below that, because there is a high risk for large contaminents, I stick with the QD spray and MF.

And always, if in doubt... wash it. If you can't tell if the dusting is too heavy to use a duster it probably is.

Thats my $0.02... take it for what its worth.

Personally, I have one, have yet to test it on something that will reveal if it indeed scratches. Who knows. I don't think I will ever use it on my Shelby though. Detail Spray is so much more safe, despite the added (though minimal) effort compared to just dusting off a car.

A.J. is probably going to have a heart attack when he sees this thread... :willy:

I used to use one on my cars but I do not anymore. I will just use DS and a MF towel. I do however use them on the bike as they tend to be a bit harder to wipe dust off of or out of the crevices and what not.

Make sure you use a good wood handled CF duster. They are A LOT better than either the knock offs or the cheapo CD brand ones.

Chris

Gee, I think we've covered this topic about three times already. The majority of us really hate the things, but there are some here who really like them. All anyone can tell you for sure is to try it. If you start to see swirls and small scratches, ditch the thing. To me it's just dragging dirt across the paint. I don't use them.

This has got to be one of the most love/hate products out there. I personally use one SMARTLY. The fibers are coated in wax and dust basically sucks into the fibers and doesn't get dragged across the surface like some other dusters. And keeping a good amount of protection of your car causes the dust to just come off amazingly smooth. I have also seen Junkman use one in one of his videos, and as everyone has mentioned just as long as your smart about it.

I stated in another post that I wasn't going to use my California duster any longer...well, I lied. The duster works great removing fallout from the moon.

:lol::lol::lol:

Don't use it often, but the last time it left streaks on my black TB SS that I had to DS to remove (not scratches).

To note, it has spent a loong time in its bag in the back of the Z06 and while the Z doesn't sit in the sun much, it has and gets quite hot when it does. Does leaving it in the vehicle cause problems?

I may just be past its useful life, even though it has not been used much.

I'm not sure about the temperature affecting it but the streaks can be common in different weather conditions. It has happened to me twice in a high humidity environment, nothing alittle DS won't remove. It's just the wax on the fibers and wrapping it in a newspaper for a couple days when new helps.

Edited by Loud Pedal

Don't use it often, but the last time it left streaks on my black TB SS that I had to DS to remove (not scratches).

To note, it has spent a loong time in its bag in the back of the Z06 and while the Z doesn't sit in the sun much, it has and gets quite hot when it does. Does leaving it in the vehicle cause problems?

I may just be past its useful life, even though it has not been used much.

Mine left small streaks when I first used it. I blamed it on the parrafin wax that the duster is coated with

... I've only used it on light dust and never apply pressure.

Les

That's the key... light pressure, almost not even touching the car. I own two black cars and have not had any problems.

I think some people use it the same way they sweep off the driveway...

ive had mine over a year now...its pretty black...do you wash these things or just toss em and buy a new one?

pretty much when they're done, dispose of and buy a new one. They can get pretty dirty and still be safe to use. The way to tell if they need to be tossed is to look closely at one of the individual strands... if its got large particles or clumps of dust/dirt then its time to toss it out.

pretty much when they're done, dispose of and buy a new one. They can get pretty dirty and still be safe to use. The way to tell if they need to be tossed is to look closely at one of the individual strands... if its got large particles or clumps of dust/dirt then its time to toss it out.

:iagree:

I have one and use it almost daily, provided all I need to do is take off a light coat of dust. I can dust off my dually with it in about 2 minutes, whereas, using DS takes maybe 15.. If I have a heavy coat of dust, I won't use it though...

I had a CA duster for over a year. Worked well. But it walked away at a car show..

Now I have a Microfiber Duster. Looks like the CA duster, has the same type of handle. But when it gets pretty dusty, I just wash it with some wool light, then Leave it out side to dry in the sun.