Customer Service 866.965.0400

New to the forum

MMMMRice

Question

Whats up guys/girls, I just bought the complete detailing kit and after watching the videos on the website Im feeling pretty confident in my purchase. To make a long story short, my truck is away getting a prototype drop kit from groundforce so Im driving my dads neglected 06 ram while its gone. I decided to clean it up (no detailing experience) by doing a wash/dry, claybar, wash dry, meguiers cleaning wax along with vacuuming the interior etc. Well I stopped by his house to show him how it looked and he started to brag to some co-workers and his boss lol. I thought it was an ok job for what I used and not having any experience but as of now I have 2 detailing jobs already lined up. Since Im going detail his bosses H2 and his bosses friends H2 I figured I should do it right. Is there any helpful tips you guys could share to help get me started? Ill make sure I post before and after pics... Thanks in advance :banana:

15 answers to this question

Whats up guys/girls, I just bought the complete detailing kit and after watching the videos on the website Im feeling pretty confident in my purchase. To make a long story short, my truck is away getting a prototype drop kit from groundforce so Im driving my dads neglected 06 ram while its gone. I decided to clean it up (no detailing experience) by doing a wash/dry, claybar, wash dry, meguiers cleaning wax along with vacuuming the interior etc. Well I stopped by his house to show him how it looked and he started to brag to some co-workers and his boss lol. I thought it was an ok job for what I used and not having any experience but as of now I have 2 detailing jobs already lined up. Since Im going detail his bosses H2 and his bosses friends H2 I figured I should do it right. Is there any helpful tips you guys could share to help get me started? Ill make sure I post before and after pics... Thanks in advance :banana:

#1: Pack a lunch...an H2 is a serious amount of work!

#2: Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance: with a larger vehicle like that, work out a plan in advance so you're not wasting any time.

#3: Don't clay unless you're following up with a machine - especially if it is darker colored paint you're working with.

#4: You said "do it right" - tell us what that means to you. Describe your method

I picked up the h2 today, hopefully my order will ship today also. I think im going to do the hummer in stages lol the wheels are coming off tonight so i can take my time polishing them. I missed my truck as i was driving away from the building, its only 2 months old lol.

I do have a couple questions...

The chrome door handles and other trim pieces on the outside have started to pit, what can I do to reverse that I dont think metal polish will work.

Will the vrt give the plastic bumpers a deep rich black look again?

Do you guys use a variable speed spinning buffer or an osilating(sp?) buffer?

For dirty areas such as the engine bay and the dusty dash do you use something to clean them up before using the vrt?

The chrome door handles and other trim pieces on the outside have started to pit, what can I do to reverse that I dont think metal polish will work.

I don't know much about chrome pitting so I will leave that to others to answer

Absolutely, it will give them a nice natural look like when they were new. Not that shiny/slimy kids stuff just a nice natural look

Look into the Porter Cable 7424, it is a random orbital buffer. Extremely same for the beginner and can do amazing things in the hands of an experienced user :thumbsup:

For dirty areas such as the engine bay and the dusty dash do you use something to clean them up before using the vrt?

For under the hood watch Adam's video for an easy step by step process for making you engine compartment look new again. For the dash dampen a MF towel and give it a good wipe and then let it dry and apply VRT or Leather Conditioner :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bill

If it's actual chrome, there won't be much you can do about it. Chrome is incredibly HARD and it takes special polishing equipment to level it off properly. Since you're new to detailing, I don't recommend doing much more than using metal polish - in the wrong hands, some serious, irreversible damage can be caused while machine polishing chrome surfaces.

For a time, yes. VRT is a water-based dressing and as such will not last very long. But it is still one of the better things to use - silicone or oil based dressings will rot and discolor the plastic. Make sure the customer knows that the look will not last beyond a week - possibly 2 if it's not driven daily.

As a rookie, you'll want to stick with a Porter Cable 7424 RO polisher. It's slow, but the results are good and there's very, very little risk of damaging the paint. I personally use a rotary buffer, but I've had 12 years of practice with it: Graduate to the rotary after you're 100% comfortable with a 7424.

Always clean a surface as thoroughly (and gently) as possible before applying a dressing, otherwise the results will be horrible - you will have created shiny dirt!

Have fun & good luck!!!! Since this is your first big detail, you'll learn VOLUMES from it - be sure to come back and share your experiences with us...or even come back to ask more questions :2thumbs:

Thanks for the info guys, Im going to take pictures before and after for comparison. After looking the truck over again the chrome trim pieces are pretty much shot. Im going to start buffing the wheels tomorrow if it stops raining along with vacuum the interior. I checked the website and it says that the detail kit hasnt shipped yet, but it says all orders ship by 3pm on the same day and I ordered it around 11:30 last night. Does anyone know what the issue may be? And how long do you guys think it will take to ship from adams to delaware by ups ground?