Customer Service 866.965.0400

50/50 Water-Alcohol mix

Krzdimond

Question

Some polishes, waxes and especially glazes have fillers in them. Fillers will, as the name implies, fill in the small scratches and make the paint look better than it really is. While this is good for short term gain (car shows and such), the fillers wear off quickly and you are left with a scratched up finish in a week or two. The alcohol will remove the fillers and you can see what your paint REALLY looks like. This is not for the faint of heart. It will make more work for you, but if you want perfect paint, it's the best way to go.

6 answers to this question

So it probably doesn't matter, but.. What % isopropyl alcohol do you use? I've seen 50% Alcohol, 70%, and 91%. I got the 70% stuff and a gallon of distilled water today.

EDIT: Can I store the rest of the unused water gallon for use later? Or does it go bad some how?

Edited by Devin04

So it probably doesn't matter, but.. What % isopropyl alcohol do you use? I've seen 50% Alcohol, 70%, and 91%. I got the 70% stuff and a gallon of distilled water today.

EDIT: Can I store the rest of the unused water gallon for use later? Or does it go bad some how?

I use 91%, but 70% is fine. Instead of 50/50, just add a bit more alcohol than water. No biggie there.

The water is fine after you've opened it. If you still have concerns, just use the balance to dilute some APC or something.

Some polishes, waxes and especially glazes have fillers in them. Fillers will, as the name implies, fill in the small scratches and make the paint look better than it really is. While this is good for short term gain (car shows and such), the fillers wear off quickly and you are left with a scratched up finish in a week or two. The alcohol will remove the fillers and you can see what your paint REALLY looks like. This is not for the faint of heart. It will make more work for you, but if you want perfect paint, it's the best way to go.

Great info Robert :rockon: