Customer Service 866.965.0400

holograms..??

acxdarlene

Question

:help::willy::willy::willy:

I went to the detail clinic on saturday and bought a few products...some of those products were the swirl and haze remover and the machine polish(or whatever its called lol) Anyways im new to adams products and detailed my car sunday...

I did a test spot on the fender and pulled the car out to the sun and it looked good...so i proceeded with the rest of the car. Well yesteday i noticed a light hologram effect all over my car :(

What did i do wrong?? I used to use meguiars products before and never had that problem before

Holograms can be tricky but when using a DA versus a Rotary (which is trickier), that can be avoided. The most common reasons I see for holograms is:

-Finishing with too aggressive of a pad.

-Finishing with too aggressive of a polish

-Working polish too long and polish dries up on you and you are "dry buffing"

-Not working polish long enough so the abrasives do not break down completely

-Using too much polish

-Using too much pressure towards the end of the polishing.

The first two are pretty easy to fix. When looking at pads, if the paint is really soft such as Honda or Infinity paint is, you may need to finish with a finishing pad rather than a polishing pad. In the Adams line up that is the Wax Pad. The least aggresive Adam's brand polish is the Fine Machine Car Polish.

For the third point (working the polish too long that it dries up), you may need to shrink your work section so you are spending less time per application. I often us a 1.5 foot by 1.5 foot section but that may be too large for some polishes, 1 foot by 1 foot may be more appropriate.

For the fourth point (not working the polish long enough), maybe you are not giving the abrasives enough time to break down completely and not allowing them to eliminate the holograms.

The fifth point (using too much polish) is similar to the fourth point in that if you use too much polish, the machine does not have a chance to break down the large abundance of abrasives so when you stop, some of the large, none broken down abrasives are still leaving marks in the paint.

The last point (using too much pressure at the end of polishing a section) can also result in hazing. Before switching over to a rotary, when I used to use my DA, when polishing a section, at first I would use a decent amount of pressure to get more cut out of the polish and pad. However, as I was going, I would be letting off pressure and towards the end I would actually be lifting slightly so less than the weight of the polisher was pressing on the paint. Doing so helps burnish the paint and reduces the likely hood of holograms.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Bert

So would i have to do the steps all over again or how would i go about removing them....

When you say "would i have to do the steps all over again" I assume the steps you are talking about are:

wash -> clay -> swirl remover polish -> fine polish -> wax

You should wash the car again before polishing obviously but you should not need to clay the car again or use the more aggresive swirl remover polish, holograms are typically not very deep and a fine polish with a polishing pad or a fine polish should be able to remove them. Then you should obviously rewax the car.

Without seeing the condition first hand its hard for me to make a really good suggestion.

As for washing, yes... you should definitely wash no matter what before polishing. Depending on the severity of the holograms I'd go with the white pad and FMP and go from there.

I didn't see it mentioned, but what did you do your final treatment with? Machine Superwax? Americana? Buttery?

This may sound like a dumb question, but are you sure they're holograms?? Anyway you could post pics??

Edited by Dylan06SS

I didnt do the final step cause it got too late so i left the car in the garage and was going to do the wax in the morning but when i pulled the car out i noticed the light holograms.....i mean they are really light but they are all over the car.

Hi Darlene, sorry to hear you have holograms! Hmmm, so, where do you work, and can we get together?

It sounds much like not enough pressure was put on the PC and the Orange Pad. Have you watched this video yet?

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1326

If you get the chance tonight, please do a small area, applying more pressure to a hologramed area, going slowly across the finish with the Orange pad at setting 6 with a small amount of Swirl & Haze Remover, and a mist of Detail Spray on the pad.

Follow with the same pad, and this time, use some Fine Machine Polish.

Remove the Orange Pad, and use the White Pad, again with the Fine Machine Polish.

Remove the residue. Good? Great! Not so good?

Call me, and let's get together!

Thanks Darlene, and again, I'm sorry we didn't achieve perfection the first round, and don't lose faith. We'll get it perfect!

Cell: 303-718-9480.

-Adam:thumbsup:

I work for the county...night shift tonight cause of the election BUT im off tomorrow.

I have watched the videos and i used the PC at 5 with the orange pad because at 6 i felt i didnt have enough control...lol im 5'3 at 100lbs lol not very strong haha

Can i possibly stop by the torrance warehouse tomorrow so you guys can take a look at the car??

Thanks one last question.....

i have a pontiac 08....should i wash then repolish with the polishing pad or a wax pad??

You mentioned you have a Pontiac, traditionally GM's have very hard paint some my comment that you may need to use the wax pad is not longer applicable.

Where were you when you finished that night? I am guessing you had used the swirl and haze remover with the Orange pad and then used the Fine Machine Car Polish with the white pad but you hadn't gotten to the wax stage?

I work for the county...night shift tonight cause of the election BUT im off tomorrow.

I have watched the videos and i used the PC at 5 with the orange pad because at 6 i felt i didnt have enough control...lol im 5'3 at 100lbs lol not very strong haha

Can i possibly stop by the torrance warehouse tomorrow so you guys can take a look at the car??

Hi Darlene,

You may stop by the warehouse anytime 8am to 5pm Mon-Fri. If that is no good, give me a call at 303-518-5453 and I will meet you there at a time that works best for you.

:cheers:

Hi Darlene,

You may stop by the warehouse anytime 8am to 5pm Mon-Fri. If that is no good, give me a call at 303-518-5453 and I will meet you there at a time that works best for you.

:cheers:

That is GREAT customer service Steve :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

Cool thanks guys for helping me out. I tried taking pictures earlier but they are very light that the camera didnt pick them up.

I can stop by the warehouse around 11am :)

Steve and Rob will walk you through Darlene, as I've got a meeting from 10-Noon tomorrow. Sorry!

Still, Rob is a pro, as is Steve.

Please let us know how it goes, and thanks for coming out!:2thumbs:

Thanks again. I just went outside and again and the hologram type of effect is showing a bit and the camera was able to pick up a few of them

IMG_1977.jpg

As i walk around the car from about 3ft away i can see more appear....they are very light though.

Im going to try and make it at 11am but that all depends on what time i get out of work tomorrow morning :)

Thanks again. I just went outside and again and the hologram type of effect is showing a bit and the camera was able to pick up a few of them

IMG_1977.jpg

As i walk around the car from about 3ft away i can see more appear....they are very light though.

Im going to try and make it at 11am but that all depends on what time i get out of work tomorrow morning :)

IM the picture is interesting maybe one of the pros can tell you what wrong. I am at a lost for words.

This is what led me to search the Internet for help and eventually found Adams. This is after a mobile detailer got done with my car. Never again will I let him near my car.

Red: Long Scratch.

Green: Holograms.

Blue: Swirl Marks.

DSC01930paint.jpg

This is a great, helpful thread. I have some of the same finish problems on my Vette -- earlier this spring I rushed a machine polish job in the garage and I went too fast and the lighting wasn't good -- so my results suffered. I need to go back and use the advice in this thread to get my car corrected. Thanks all! :cheers:

Rich

Looks like you could easily rectify those few spots with another pass of FMP on the white pad darlene, I'm sure Steve and Rob will take excellent care of you.

In the future you can make things much easier on yourself by using a set of 500w hallogen spot lights. You can get a pair from Sears for $30+/- and they'll show you all the defects in your paint from the comfort of your garage.... often times better than direct sunlight. That way you don't have to rely on the sun to help you find these problems also you'll know right away if you need to redo a panel or not.

I got this set on sale for $19.99 at sears and wouldn't work without them.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03473825000P?mv=rr