Customer Service 866.965.0400

Weekend Challenge

Toms94

Question

This weekend, I think, I will be facing the biggest challenge I have faced yet in my (very young) detailing experience. My daughter, her husband and the grandkids are coming for a visit. They drive a metallic black Honda Odyssey. As with my in-laws, and my other two daughters, I will do a detail job on their vehicle. My biggest issue will be time. I won't have a tremendous amount of time to work on it, so I will do the best I can, in the time I have. It may end up being a "quicky".

This vehicle doesn't get a lot of washing, so I will start with a good thorough washing, then clay, then we'll see how bad the swirls and fine scratches are. I'll try to get pictures of the before and after. Wish me luck and if you have any suggestions/hints/tips please post them up here.

13 answers to this question

Best advice I can give you is write down a plan and stick with it.

Do the wheels,wash and clay then i'd set the plan for one pass with FMP on a white pad, depending on the supplies you have, and a coat of MSW to give it a long lasting shine and protection. The reason I suggest the single pass with FMP on white is it will get you some good correction while still finishing down well enough to apply wax as the next step.

Then VRT on the tires. If you have more time then do the interior.

I always start on the engine bay but it time is a concern you might want to skip it and hit it the next time you have longer with it.

Hope that helps, of course everyone will have different ideas and that is cool, this is just my opinion and i'm sticking to it :lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack:

Thanks Bill, I have SHR, FMP, SMwax. The outside is my main concern. I was just reading another thread where it was talking about Honda's having "softer paint", should this be a concern of mine?

Thanks Bill, I have SHR, FMP, SMwax. The outside is my main concern. I was just reading another thread where it was talking about Honda's having "softer paint", should this be a concern of mine?

I have heard that too but haven't worked on any Honda's I can remember. But do a test section and if you like the results just keep going, you might decide SHR works better on that paint. I'm sure there will be others who have worked on Honda's who will chime in :rockon::rockon::rockon:

Get the son-inlaw to help! You may turn him into a detailer!!

Yea, maybe, I already turned him into an amateur woodworker.:D That's all he needs to fill up his "spare time"...4 kids, all in multiple activities, running in 6 directions. :lolsmack:

Yea, maybe, I already turned him into an amateur woodworker.:D That's all he needs to fill up his "spare time"...4 kids, all in multiple activities, running in 6 directions. :lolsmack:

WOW is he busy!!!!!!

They got here at 7pm. At 7:30 I decided to try and get the car washed and at least clayed. It's dark and I just finished a "quicky" wash and clay. Surprisingly, my clay didn't get real dirty, but it definitely is much smoother. Tomorrow I am going to start the polishing. And in my haste to get going I didn't even think to take any before pictures. I'll get some in the morning before I get started.

OK, only had three hours to do this job, so it's not professional quality, but it is so much better than it was before, the daughter, son-in-law, and my in-laws are pretty impressed.

This first picture was first thing this morning washed and clayed.

Rosiesdresser002.jpg

Rosiesdresser001.jpg

This one is of a scratch on the front fender and the after

Rosiesdresser005.jpg

Rosiesdresser.jpg

Here's one of the side after I was done.

Rosiesdresser009.jpg

Rosiesdresser012.jpg