Customer Service 866.965.0400

Enamel Paint

Devin04

Question

My friend has an old red Ford Maverick. The paint on it looks ok but it needs to be brought back to life. He told me that it's not clear coated, that it has enamel paint. I'm not experienced enough to have dealt with enamel paint before or to even be certain that it is enamel paint. But we used the clay bar and DS on just a small test area of it to see what it would do. After that we tried the swirl and haze remover by hand to see what that does; it turned the pad a little red. I wasn't too worried because I remember seeing in another thread someone detailing an old bright car and the color of the car came off on the pads. I think he said it was oxidized paint. I thought to my self for a second, well if he's getting oxidized paint on his pads then there must not be a clear. Just could use some clearing up and maybe a lesson on enamel paint and spotting it. Also, what's the best way to safely bring the finish back on his red Maverick? Thanks in advance.

10 answers to this question

The Maverick definitely does not have a clear coat: Do a test area with FMP on the white pad - if the finish does not improve or is not corrected after 2 passes, move up to SHR while staying with a white pad. Your pads may get stained because they're shearing against actual paint instead of a clear coat, so make sure you have a fair amount of pads on hand before you start.

Thanks for the info Frank. Is there a method of telling what cars have clears and which ones do not with out taking a buffer to it? Right now I only have one of each pad but I'll defiantly pass the word on to my friend. Today he washed, clayed, and waxed his car. It looks much better than before.

Hi Kurtis, and welcome to the forums. You'll find a lot of useful info here. Here are some of the pics you sent me.

thanks Devin,

I've been browsing through the forums looks like alot of neat stuff on here, definitely will be checkin it out and buying more stuff lol

edit:

BTW the rear bumper as the Adams Metal Polish on it, I wish i had before and after pics, cause it removed a lot of imperfections that were on the bumper

Edited by kdawg532