Customer Service 866.965.0400

Americana Question

DP77/00Vette

Question

My Americana should be delivered any minute! :xfingers: My question is: What about putting it on new paint? My painter said not to wax or seal for 6 to 12 months. :confused: Polish as much as needed which I have done. I heard others say 30 to 60 days. The car came out of the shop March 9th so it's been approx. 2 1/2 months. What's some of you guru's thought on this?

Would like to hear Adam's take on this, also!

Thanks!

Dan

18 answers to this question

I agree, with the 30-60 days, I have never heard of the 6 to 12 minths, but then again it came from your painter. Did you ask why the long wait? It will be interesting to hear what Adam has to say on this.

90 days max... I've never heard of a paint job taking 12 months to setup.

Is it possible your painter just wanted you to leave the paint unprotected for a year, increasing the chances of damage, thus increasing his chances of repeat business??

No he wouldn't do that. Not that kind of person!

That does seem to long, but he is the painter.

Perhaps you should let him know your intentions of using the Americana as soon as you can. Then he may get more specific with the time frame.

6 to 12 months is such a huge range in time. Maybe ask him how you are to know when it is ok.

How are you supposed to know if 6 months is ok or if you should wait a whole year. There must be a factor to narrow the range of time down to less than 6 months.

Like Dylan said, I have never heard of more than 90 days, but I am no painter.

:cheers:

Wouldn't it be the other way around - don't polish, but wax is ok. I thought it was the clearcoat being soft is why you didn't want to do any "drastic" detailing.

It is actually "out gassing" that can cause the problems of bubbles and paint checking. The new paint needs ventilation for a time or the gasses being released will get trapped and jack up the paint. So sealing the paint with wax or sealant will make paint very sad.

Imagine if you had eaten 10 bean burritos and with no way to release the pressure. That is what your paint would feel like.

Wouldn't it be the other way around - don't polish, but wax is ok. I thought it was the clearcoat being soft is why you didn't want to do any "drastic" detailing.

Well you certainly wouldn't want to polish a fresh paint job anyways as it SHOULD be flawless. I say should b/c you'd think professional painters could buff out paint, but sadly that isn't the case a lot of the time.

The reason for the concern over laying wax down is that the paint isn't fully cured. I'm not up on all the technical jargon, but basically there are still things leaching out from the paint for a period of time that, if covered with wax or sealant, can be trapped.

Baron Von Awesome may be the most qualified to chime in on this question as he has a far better understanding of paint composition than I do. Hopefully he has some knowledge he can drop on us.

Hmmm... wonder why he would say 6-12 months then. Are we dealing with a standard base coat/clear coat job here, not anything specialized? Do you know if the paint was baked at all?

It was Bc/cc, torch red, Spies Hecker, with extra clear. It was shot in a heated booth, not sure how long it baked.

Baron Von Awesome may be the most qualified to chime in on this question as he has a far better understanding of paint composition than I do. Hopefully he has some knowledge he can drop on us.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. No wax; no sealant; polish as much as it takes to make you happy (stay away from heavy cut compounds). Waiting 6 months to wax/seal seems a bit extreme, though.

Steve's explanation about why the paint needs to stay unprotected is spot on.

Couldn't wait!! Tried a spot on the top and DANG!! Slick as owl dookie!:2thumbs:

Would it be better to dampen to pad with detail spray?

I'd listen to the painter and get that wax off just to be safe, I'm sure that paint wasn't cheap :D:D:D

My Americana should be delivered any minute! :xfingers: My question is: What about putting it on new paint? My painter said not to wax or seal for 6 to 12 months. :confused: Polish as much as needed which I have done. I heard others say 30 to 60 days. The car came out of the shop March 9th so it's been approx. 2 1/2 months. What's some of you guru's thought on this?

Would like to hear Adam's take on this, also!

Thanks!

Dan

Just got the go-ahead on the Americana from the body shop owner and the painter.:D I must have misunderstood on the 6+ months. They said since it was baked, 60 to 90 days. Now if the rain and humidity will cooperate, I can get it done. Will try to do some pics also! Get the :glasses:ready!!!!

Thanks!

Dan

Just got finished doing the F & R bumpers, top, halo, hood, and hatch. It's frigging UNREAL! My wife helped by removing the wax and she couldn't believe it. Especially the rear bumper!!

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow at a show we're doing!

Thanks Adam for another GREAT product! :2thumbs:

Dan