Customer Service 866.965.0400

VRT and painted surface

Jim Shearer

Question

I am new to Adams products. I looked through the forum but didn't see what I was looking for.

If I use VRT on rubber trim (nooks and crannies) and get it on the painted surface of my black Corvette, will it hurt the surface? Should I apply VRT before polishing and waxing or after?

Thanks.

13 answers to this question

great question Jim.

VRT is perfectly safe on paint, it won't damage a thing so don't worry if you get a little on there while you're dressing your trim.

As for when to apply VRT, do it after you wash / before you polish and wax. If you get any on the paint don't even bother wiping it off, simply pass over it during your polish routine and it will come right off with the rest of the polish residue.

Welcome to the forum & Adam's products. The VRT will not hurt the paint, wipes right off, same if you get it on the glass.. I apply VRT before waxing. Watch the detailing videos available here for all kinds of tips & tricks.

Bruce

I have wanted a pro to answer this questions as well, but I can speak from my own experience: it is not a problem to get VRT on a painted/finished surface. With a little DS and a microfiber towel, it comes right off. Like any other dressing, its slick and may take a little effort to wipe it off, but it does come off.

I guess I, too, would like the opinion of someone who understands this issue at a more detailed/technical/chemical level...

I just looked at some of the videos. I know "In and Out" has been discontinued. Is VRT pretty much the same except In and Out is aerosol? What do you do to get into the tight spots without an aerosol spray?

Jim, I know that some have created a diluted VRT/water solution and used a spray bottle to apply to certain areas. I dont do this, but I think you can find some threads to this point.

I have used those cheap foam paint brushes to get into some tight spots with VRT and I think its easy and effective.

Jim, I know that some have created a diluted VRT/water solution and used a spray bottle to apply to certain areas. I dont do this, but I think you can find some threads to this point.

I have used those cheap foam paint brushes to get into some tight spots with VRT and I think its easy and effective.

Both excellent solutions. :2thumbs:

:iagree: the foam paint brushes are awesome at applying VRT to hard to reach areas. They're inexpensive as well, and they're made in the USA :patriot:

http://www.jenmfg.com/poly-brushes.htm

Edited by GerryC

VRT is water based, and so is harmless to your paint. Do remember that if you apply it to your trim around your windows, the glass cleaner will remove the VRT from the trim! Give the VRT a couple minutes to treat the plastic, that way if you wipe away a little of it with the glass cleaner, you won't have a dull looking spot where the cleaner touched. :2thumbs: