Customer Service 866.965.0400

Black single stage paint

SKMARTIN6

Question

Hi, new to the forum. I have a 1966 GTO that is a black single stage paint. Any suggestions and don'ts in waxing and removing light swirl marks? The car is covered at all times, which leaves small scratches at the edges of the top and around the fenders. Thanks

7 answers to this question

I searched "single stage paint" and came up with this...http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3604&highlight=single+stage+paint

I'm not to familiar with it but I do know that some of the color will come on to the pad. Also I would be very careful around corners and edges as paint is thinner.

On our show car for many years it was single stage black . After the initial paint we wet sanded down to 2000 grit and the polished with a rotary. Then we hand polished . All that was Pre Adam's days. If the paint is in pretty good condition now , I would use a PC and fine polish to bring out the best of the shine. Then the Americana wax should give you the pop and shine you are looking for. An ocassional wipe down with Detail Spray will keep your paint looking great .

For more info and videos of the best work on how to make your black paint look the best , look at Junkman's videos.

Edited by ss-truck
add info

Check out this thread. That car was single stage paint. I used the exact same technique that you can see in my videos. Yes, some of the paint will come off on the pad because you are shaving the paint down (just like you would do if there was clear on top of that paint). The car has probably been painted before so it will have more paint on it than a new car.

The question I have for you is why do you keep using that car cover if you know it is scratching up the car??? :confused:

Junkman, sorry it took so long to repliy, this is my work computer. The paint is pretty new, the car was just finished in May of this year, the reason I still cover it is I live in the country and I store the car in may pole barn and I have squirrel problem. The cover is a good quality dust cover. The scratches aren't major, mostly on the edges of the roof. I was just making sure the Adams products would work good on the single stage paints as it does on the base/clear. I know alot of the new synthetic waxs and polishes are made for the clear coats but don't say alot about the single stage. Thanks for the help.