Customer Service 866.965.0400

should i tint my viper

6spdg37s

Well if Jersey cops are anything like Illinois cops you will be fine as long as you have a grown up looking car. Meaning, no loud stereo, big wings, loud exhaust, etc etc. If you drive a sport compact or wildly modded car though you'll be lucky to make it around the block without getting pulled over.

Case in point, my Dad's car has full tents all around, it's a family sedan and he's never been pulled over. My friend got full tints (not nearly as dark as my Dad's) on his eclipse he literally made it two blocks from the shop before he got pulled over for tints.

Just another in a long line of reasons not to like cops.

Then next time someone breaks into your house and tries to steal your things or harm your family call a plumber.

Since everyone else is posting their state's tint laws, I figured I'd look up Maryland's and post it here. :cheers:

1) TINTED WINDOWS -The 35% Window Tint Law in Maryland means that the TOTAL amount of light being transmitted

through the glass of a motor vehicle cannot be less than 35%. In other words, it doesn't make any difference what percentage

the actual window tinting film is rated at, you still cannot exceed 35% total Light Transmittance Value, or LTV for short.

The problem here is that many people purchase a window tint film that is rated at 35% and think it's automatically okay to put it

on their car windows. A 35% window film will guarantee you that your vehicle will be illegal, and here's why:

ALL vehicles come from the factory with a certain percentage of tinting incorporated into the glass. In most cases it blocks out

approximately 20% of the available light, which means that 80% is still passing through.

That is an LTV of 80%, and there's no problem there.

An after market window tint film rated at 35% means that the film allows 35% of the available light to

pass through, and blocks out 65%. (This is known as 35% LTV Film) And again, there's no problem with that.

Here's where the trouble begins. When you place a 35% window tint film over a vehicle window that is already blocking out

20% of the available light, you have now reduced the LTV to 28%, which is ILLEGAL! Why is it now 28%? Because you

started with a piece of glass that was already blocking out 20% of the available light, and you are now placing a

35% tinting material on a piece of glass that only had 80% available light to start with. (.35 x 80 = 28%)

That means you are now blocking out 72% of the available light, leaving only 28% to pass through.

You now have tinted windows with a 28% Light Transmittance Value,

and remember that the State of Maryland requires an LTV of at least 35%.

(Windows that are tinted darker than 35% are very obvious to police officers.)

Source: http://www.berwynheightspd.com/tinted%20windows.htm

If lets say that you were an LEO...wouldn't you want to be able to see into a car to make sure that there isn't a weapon/gun pointed at you??

I know I would.

Yes But the problem is they are the biggest offenders of this as a lot of their private cars are tinted dark. Even look at the unmarked cars they have extremely dark tint .So they break the rules as well. A good apart of my friends and family are on the job.

Yes But the problem is they are the biggest offenders of this as a lot of their private cars are tinted dark. Even look at the unmarked cars they have extremely dark tint .So they break the rules as well. A good apart of my friends and family are on the job.

exactly. I come from a police family (two cousins, and an uncle all state policeman). I find them to be the most hypocritical people I know. They rank right up there with the medcare people not wanting a govt health plan, then saying "but don't touch my medicare". lol

If lets say that you were an LEO...wouldn't you want to be able to see into a car to make sure that there isn't a weapon/gun pointed at you??

I know I would.

I'm not saying tinting should be legal, in fact I'm think it shouldn't for that exact reason, but I'm saying everyone gets a ticket or no one. You don't show favorites and you don't pick on young people just because.

Then next time someone breaks into your house and tries to steal your things or harm your family call a plumber.

the last time someone broke into my office it took the cops 45 minutes to show up and when they did they were there five minutes and said "that sucks, good luck" and that was that. I might as well called the plumber. lol

^ i agree lol. it boils down to the point of idgf bout the legal part of it. the police have their reasons, and if your respectful and not a little (fill in your own profanity here) to them..chances are they wont give u a ticket.....

this was just a strictly should i do it lookwise question. im not gonna do it cause as is im probly droppin the insurance off of it. but im impulsive so who noes

Tinting the windows on your Viper is entirely up to you. I think it would look great!!

I have thought about tinting the windows on my Thunderbird many times. I keep going back to the logic, that I drive it around 1,000 a year and it's not worth it.

The windows on our Charger and Ranger are tinted. Makes a big difference during the hot summers here in Oklahoma. The only drawback is it's hard to see out of at night. But both vehicles do look good with the tinted windows.