Customer Service 866.965.0400

Product to remove overspray?

crawfish

Question

I have some overspray (little gray specks) on the hood of my MKZ. I would like to find a product to use to buff them out. I went to Auto Zone and asked the manager for something to remove overspray and he showed me a clay bar. :rolleyes:

I have a PC buffer but do not know what type of compound to use or where to get it.

Ideas?

14 answers to this question

Have you tried clay barring it? My mother drove over a freshly painted road line and had white specs all over her front left wheel and fender, and I didn't know about it until a few weeks afterwards. Clay took it off

take a picture if you can

Edited by GerryC

Have you tried clay barring it? My mother drove over a freshly painted road line and had white specs all over her front left wheel and fender, and I didn't know about it until a few weeks afterwards. Clay took it off

take a picture if you can

I gave it a shot with clay, but it did not seem to be doing aything. i will try it again and post some pictures.

I worked the hood twice yesterday with clay. It seems to be helping some, but there are still a lot of specks. I am going to try again today. I may try using the APC diluted if I am not making progress.

I have never detailed this car, as it is our DD, so I want to get it right before proceeding.

Thanks for all of the help.

Guys,

I finished detailing the Lincoln and I got about *99% of the specks off. It was hard work, but it paid off big time. I will post before and after picture when my daughter brings my camera card back. Thanks for all of the advice. :2thumbs:

* every now and then I find a few tiny spots, which I am still working to remove.

Don,

Do you know where the specks came from?

Is it paint or cement?

It came from a paint and body shop, and I believe it was gray primer. It was very difficult to remove.

What happened was that a nieborhood kid hit a brick mailbox next to my house and sprayed my Lincoln with debris. We took it to be repaired right before I went overseas, and the repair job was excellent. (that was all I looked at :o) A couple months later, I was washing the car and noticed the gray specks of overspray. I thought there might be an easier way to remove them, because the clay did not seem to be doing anything. I ended up spenting about 8 hours on with the clay bar, but the results were very good. Thanks:thumbsup: