Customer Service 866.965.0400

swirl marks

scott mc

Question

Do you ever really get all the swirls out? My car looks great and I receive alot of compliments but in the light of say the grocery store parking lot I can see swirls in the paint but you can't see then in the natural light. Thanks for your input on this. I recently did my neighbors car (white) with clay and fmp with the white pad and americana to protect. It looks great as well but I can see the swirls with the correct light? They are very fine scratches and the white and or orange pad will not corect them.

22 answers to this question

These should come out using SHR on the orange pad. This combo will knock out 3000 grit sanding marks so it should work on your swirls.

Do you have halogen lights? A set of those are great for showing the areas that need correction.

These should come out using SHR on the orange pad. This combo will knock out 3000 grit sanding marks so it should work on your swirls.

Do you have halogen lights? A set of those are great for showing the areas that need correction.

+1

I have wetsanded the whole side of my truck lightly just to scuff the surface alittle bit, and remove a few bad areas and I use the SHR & Orange pad to bring it back out. Then the wife pad with revive and black pad with buttery... MMM MM GOOD!

Okay, the question was, do you ever get all the swirls out? The answer is YES. You just have to want to do the work.

If you have been destroying your paint for years, then you may have a lot of work to do depending on how hard or soft your clear coat is. It took me about 3 months of practice before I was actually able to start removing swirls with consistency. Mind you, I was going for TOTAL swirl removal, not just a "good enough for government work" type of result.

It can be done but you have to set yourself up for success by working with PLENTY of light (I prefer halogens because no swirl can hide from it), developing a successful technique and taking your time and tackling the car 1 foot at a time. Like I said, it may not be easy but if you are born swirl killer, you'll get them out eventually. You may be left with scratches everywhere that must be removed with more a more aggressive measure, but the swirls will be gone.

Speaking of more aggressive measures, I see talk of wet sanding. Let me say this. If you use 3000 grit or higher, you will be able to get rid of that sanding damage with SHR and the PC. If you drop down to 2500, you will have some work on your hand with the PC and SHR. Anything lower than 2500 IS NOT going to come out using the PC and SHR. You have now stepped into some serious work in order to clean up that damage. Don't even think about using 2000 grit unless you are a professional at paint correction and have all the necessary tools, compounds and equipment.

Now for some swirl free paint. I have been working on my car the entire weekend because I don't want to show up in Bowling Green next week with swirls in my paint. I had been wiping it down and had inputted a nice collection of spider web streak scratches. Those had to go. In these pictures, they are not only gone, they are history. These pictures show my paint with nothing but SHR applied to it. I still have to hit the entire car with FMP and some Americana. When your paint is swirl free, the actual color of the paint will show up. That is why you can see the pearl so vividly in these pictures.

It's a shame that it won't stay like this because I'll wipe on it again and the whole spider scratching will start appearing again. :willy:

swirl_free1.jpg

swirl_free2.jpg

swirl_free3.jpg

swirl_free4.jpg

swirl_free5.jpg

swirl_free6.jpg

swirl_free7.jpg

It can be done, you just have to want it bad enough.

Edited by Junkman2008

+1

I have wetsanded the whole side of my truck lightly just to scuff the surface alittle bit, and remove a few bad areas and I use the SHR & Orange pad to bring it back out. Then the wife pad with revive and black pad with buttery... MMM MM GOOD!

We need more details on this Ty, how exactly does a WIFE pad work ? Does it nag the swirls out :lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack:

AJ your the best. I love your videos! I like your threads (especially your first Carslile experience) I hope to get to meet you in person someday.Thanks for your help!

I'll be in PA again for the Ford, Chrysler and maybe even the Truck Nationals next year (not to mention the Corvettes again!). Be sure and drop by the Adam's tent and see me whenever you're free. The pleasure will be mine. :thumbsup:

Sounds good AJ. I wanted to be at Carslile this year but school had just started and my son had a conflict with his new ball team's schedule. He surely did not want to make a bad impression by not showing up at the first practice. He would not want me to go without him. He is a 12 year old car enthusiast.Thanks

Pulled the Vette out of the garage Friday to get ready to leave for the weekend, as she sat in the drive the sun hit it just right and the amount of swirls was unbelievable. I thought that I had them removed. Just goes to show that the correct lighting is vital. So I loaded up all my stuff and took it with me and Sunday I proceeded to work on it in the in-laws garage. Again lighting is vital....which I was very much missing, but worked on it and again thought it was gone (using a handheld spot light my FIL had). Backed it out of the garage and there they were......many were gone, but some were still there. I've got to get me a couple of halogen lights.

:D

So with that being said, yes you can get them all out, if you work at it.

Do you ever really get all the swirls out? My car looks great and I receive alot of compliments but in the light of say the grocery store parking lot I can see swirls in the paint but you can't see then in the natural light. Thanks for your input on this. I recently did my neighbors car (white) with clay and fmp with the white pad and americana to protect. It looks great as well but I can see the swirls with the correct light? They are very fine scratches and the white and or orange pad will not corect them.

On a daily driver I don't think it makes sense to spend 10-12 hours or more removing all the scratches. Remember a lot of people here have garage queens that get driven a couple of times a week and hardly ever and in many cases NEVER in the rain.

As a DD my car is in danm good condition but if I tried to keep the paint corrected constantly I'd not have a life. If I was a professional detailer my car WOULD be perfect.

Chris

Edited by Chewy

On a daily driver I don't think it makes sense to spend 10-12 hours or more removing all the scratches.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

As a DD my car is in **** good condition but if I tried to keep the paint corrected constantly I'd not have a life. If I was a professional detailer my car WOULD be perfect.

Chris

You should see my DD. People here would pass out if they saw that thing going down the street and knew it was mine. I got's NO LOVE for the DD. :lolsmack: