Customer Service 866.965.0400

Claying - How did I mess this up?

MitsukiGT

Question

So I watched the Junkman videos 3 times, felt very confident it what I was about to do.

My car was bought in February and had only been in touch less car washes until today.

This guys story is exactly like mine, except my paint isnt as bad.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3997

First I used the 2 bucket process to clean the car and it looked pretty good afterwards. Nice and clean. I couldn't see hardly any swirls\spiders after cleaning it. Even under the lamp my paint looked surprisingly good.

Next I rinse it off and leave it wet. I get my new claybar out, rip it in half, flatten it out on my clean windshield. Then I have my detail spray read to go.

With the car wet I spray a ton of detail spray down on the area I'm working, I appeared to use as much as junkman. So I used allot of pressure as junkman suggests. Unless I'm blind the clay just wont get dirty. So I rub harder and harder tot he point the hood starts to push in as I move. Clay still wont get dirty. wtf? I am almost constantly spraying DS as I move the clay in the area i'm working.

As the guy in the other thread said, the scratched in the hood are in the exact same direction I worked the area. I even worked another area in a different direction to prove my point. The clay it definitely scratching up the paint, but why? Is it supposed to?

Now my picture doesn't show the scratched as good as the other guy's does in the link I posted, but trust me, it is pretty bad.

I did do the entire hood, but I just got too depressed and stopped. So the damage is just the hood right now. I am afraid to do the rest of the car now.

1. Is clay supposed to scratch the paint? I thought it just removed dirt.

2. Why is my clay not getting dirty? If it isn't showing dirt then how do I know when to rework it?

3. It seems like claying makes forces you to use the PC, thank god I bought that too. How the hell do you clay and not have to use the PC?

I'd like to try and finish the car tomorrow, but not sure how to continue. The clean clay is really stumping me.

As you can see in the picture the top right is in the the up\down direction relative tot he photo and the bottom left is in the left\right direction relative to the photo.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3259&d=1252193224

3890556747_5a51f5d9f3_o.png

Edited by MitsukiGT

• Answers 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Looking really good. I am still learning how to do this as well. This past weekend I saw swirls that I didn't know were there and had to start all over again. But in time my Corvette will look as good (almost) as AJ's.

I have it double tough. When I roll up, people start hunting for swirls on my ride twice as hard!

Well I got the MSW down and wiped off last night :-)

I tried to use Adams glass cleaner while I waited to wipe it off. My windows look like crap (not because of the product). No matter how hard I scrub or let the product sit they windows have crap all over them I just can't remove. When the window is dry you don't see the spots, but they cover the window when wet. I read you can use orange pad + SHR, but wouldn't that leave micro scratches that you could see in direct sunlight?

My headlights\taillights look like crap too.

What can I use to make the honeycomb area and the black plastic in the bumper of the G8 look better? With the paint nice and shiny these areas look out of place.

When I get home I'll wipe the car down again and apply some Americana.

LOL, I started this project last Saturday. I MIGHT be able to do this in 1 week:pc:

Edited by MitsukiGT

What can I use to make the honeycomb area and the black plastic in the bumper of the G8 look better? With the paint nice and shiny these areas look out of place.

Do you have Adam's VRT (Vinyl, Rubber, & Tire dressing)? This works great on black trim. Some have used Q-tips (regular and extra long ones) and foam brushes for any hard-to-reach areas. A blue tire sponge cut up into different shapes is also good for applying VRT.

Well I got the MSW down and wiped off last night :-)

I tried to use Adams glass cleaner while I waited to wipe it off. My windows look like crap (not because of the product). No matter how hard I scrub or let the product sit they windows have crap all over them I just can't remove. When the window is dry you don't see the spots, but they cover the window when wet. I read you can use orange pad + SHR, but wouldn't that leave micro scratches that you could see in direct sunlight?

My headlights\taillights look like crap too.

When I get home I'll wipe the car down again and apply some Americana.

LOL, I started this project last Saturday. I MIGHT be able to do this in 1 week:pc:

have you tried claying the glass to remove the spots?

you can use some shr or revive polish on your headlights and tail lights to improve the clarity

and vrt is great for black trim, but if you apply it to a non-porous material like hard plastic, it helps to wipe off the excess with a towel afterwards to prevent it from running when it gets wet.

have you tried claying the glass to remove the spots?

you can use some shr or revive polish on your headlights and tail lights to improve the clarity

and vrt is great for black trim, but if you apply it to a non-porous material like hard plastic, it helps to wipe off the excess with a towel afterwards to prevent it from running when it gets wet.

There is no marring left over from SHR'ing glass as glass is MUCH MUCH harder than clearcoat.

I JUST got done removing the Americana. So I should be all finished tomorrow.

As for my windows, I did clay them. The crap on them is wierd. They are nice and smooth, but have this really ugly pattern all over them when wet.

Questions:

1. Do I need to go back and wipe the Americana down again like I had to after the MSW?

2. My taillights are pretty scratched up from the PC pads. So if I PC them more they will clear up?

Thanks

Questions:

1. Do I need to go back and wipe the Americana down again like I had to after the MSW?

NOPE :thumbsup:

2. My taillights are pretty scratched up from the PC pads. So if I PC them more they will clear up?

Not sure what the question is ???

I mean the PC pads are what scratced the taillights up, you can easily see where the pad hit and where it didn't. So should I just apply more pressure and work the taillights with the PC? If so, which pad?

You can use the pads on the headlights and taillights. As always, start with the lease aggressive method - FMP on the white pad. If that doesn't clean them up maybe go with the SHR on a white pad, and if they still don't look right, try the most aggressive combo - SHR on orange pads. When you're done hit them with SMW for some protection.

Don't know if you already have the 4" pads, but if not, they work great on headlights and tight areas, definitely worth the price.

The Americana Wax is unlike anything you've used before. When you put it on one section and move to the next section, you should immediately remove it from the first section after you've put it on the second. I wouldn't do it in the sun if you can help it. If you do, put it on, work it in and immediately remove it. If you wait to long you'll need a chisel to get it off. I would love to see those folks who claim that Adam's waxes don't last long. I want to here what they have to say about this stuff!

Americana Rocks!

I'm posting a thread in a bit that covers my Cali experience. Stay tuned!

LOL, just stumbled upon this post. I felt to dumb to ask the question, but was wondering why Americana was SOOOO much harder to remove than MSW.

I was 4 hours removing that stuff and my arm felt like if was going to fall off.

Then in the sun I found a ton more spots I didn't get off.

I guess that is another noob lesson learned. I waxed the whole car, let cure for like an hour while I did windows inside and out.

I never applied wax before so I had no comparison as to how hard they were to take off.

This is why I didn't post all my pictures, I went to get some shots but in the direct sun allot of Americana was still on the car :'(

Edited by MitsukiGT

Americana will harden up ALOT if left on for more than 2-5 minutes. I apply to two panels and then move back to one and so forth.

So I found out:willy:

Glad I know the secret now. As I was taking that stuff off I was telling myself no way in heck I'm using that on my truck:help:

LOL, live and learn:cheers: