Customer Service 866.965.0400

Halogen/Other Tripod Worklight Recommendation?

tenorplayer23

Question

A mundane topic, but, what's the latest recommendation for tripod mounted worklights (halogen or other superior technology) and where to procure them?

A search of the site doesn't yield too much in the way of recent posts. I assume the usual Home Depot Husky brand is OK (the only thing I can see is that the higher output/heavier duty sets seem to have a restriction on their ability to tilt "forward").

Anybody have a set that they really like and where did they come from??

Thx.

See ya seeya.gif

23 answers to this question

I just bought 2 dual light units at Lowes for (I think) $39 each. 1200 watts per set. They seem pretty beefy, but like the HD ones you mention they don't tilt forward either. I shopped around a bit and realized that all the places have basically the same thing at about the same price. Probably should have ust bought the first ones I came across and been done with it -- could have been in the garage detailing sooner! :lol:

Hey Bob;

I got the 500W x 2 lights on the tripod several years ago. Over time the lights died, so I picked up the newer versions at $8 each and I'm all set. I also recommend a Brinkman Dualfire Xenon light or a Fenix Ultrafire, about $30 each. Pepboy's occasionally have a $10 off coupon for a $30+ purchase, so you can get the Brinkman for $20.

A caveat - all these lights are 'truth' lights, so only use them if you are ready to see all the work you have ahead!

:iagree:

They are the red pill and you will find out how deep the rabbit hole goes!

I don't think a more appropriate movie quote could be used for this question... ugly things happen when the spots are on... be prepared to be humbled and come to the realization that your "perfect finish" is anything but perfect.

Personally I have a set of craftsmans that are 2 way 500-1000w the tripod is collapsable so it stores easily and the lights themselves have a quick release and a floor stand so you can use them down low as well... handy set and I think I only paid $30 for them at Sears.

I don't think a more appropriate movie quote could be used for this question... ugly things happen when the spots are on... be prepared to be humbled and come to the realization that your "perfect finish" is anything but perfect.

Personally I have a set of craftsmans that are 2 way 500-1000w the tripod is collapsable so it stores easily and the lights themselves have a quick release and a floor stand so you can use them down low as well... handy set and I think I only paid $30 for them at Sears.

I bought that same setup from Sears.

Now if I can only make them tell the truth:lolsmack:

I've been playing with them for a while now over the past 2 days and the paint always looks perfect in the light. I finally gave up and turned them off. I just applied the sample process I used on my sample spot to the rest of the car and am preying that it looks good.

So far the lights have done nothing but heat my paint up. The light in the ceiling shows me more. I found myself almost on the floor trying to get the ceiling light to reflect on the bottom of the door trying to spot scratches.

What is the secret to making them work?

I bought that same setup from Sears.

Now if I can only make them tell the truth:lolsmack:

I've been playing with them for a while now over the past 2 days and the paint always looks perfect in the light. I finally gave up and turned them off. I just applied the sample process I used on my sample spot to the rest of the car and am preying that it looks good.

So far the lights have done nothing but heat my paint up. The light in the ceiling shows me more. I found myself almost on the floor trying to get the ceiling light to reflect on the bottom of the door trying to spot scratches.

What is the secret to making them work?

A quote from the Junkman himself

When using your halogens, turn one of them off and face the other slightly away from your work area to help see the swirls. Also, the overhead incandescent lights are capable of showing swirls too. Just look at the car from different angles, adjusting the lighting as you go.

I looked at HD this past weekend they have three different ones on hand. A dual head 600watt, a dual head 300-600-900-1200watt and a dual head 250-500-750-1500watt. I am leaning toward the big one because the tripod looked more stable. Is there any drawbacks to the higher wattage units? I figure that during the winter it'll had extra heat as well.:)

I looked at HD this past weekend they have three different ones on hand. A dual head 600watt, a dual head 300-600-900-1200watt and a dual head 250-500-750-1500watt. I am leaning toward the big one because the tripod looked more stable. Is there any drawbacks to the higher wattage units? I figure that during the winter it'll had extra heat as well.:)

As long as your power source can handle it you should be fine since the halogens you want have adjustable wattage.

When I put mine together in the house I blew the breaker as I had it on 1000 watts and already had a bunch of things on that power line. Out in the garage it has been fine.

Re: the HD lights. I know the ones you are talking about (green & red). An observation not related to power consumption/amp draw...................make sure that the heads will pivot DOWN towards your work. It appeared to me that the larger lights (and the Husky one size down from it) have a stop built in that limits the lamp head from traveling past the upright position. However, in my local store, the next size down, which is 1000W, is a different mfr./different design that looks like it will pivot down.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong............................:)

See ya. seeya.gif

Re: the HD lights. I know the ones you are talking about (green & red). An observation not related to power consumption/amp draw...................make sure that the heads will pivot DOWN towards your work. It appeared to me that the larger lights (and the Husky one size down from it) have a stop built in that limits the lamp head from traveling past the upright position. However, in my local store, the next size down, which is 1000W, is a different mfr./different design that looks like it will pivot down.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong............................:)

See ya. seeya.gif

That is a nice feature. I have to drop my lights down to the level I'm working at. A little pain in the wazoo but not too bad.