Customer Service 866.965.0400

Build yourself a detail cart

Team Adam's

Question

I offer this bit of advice to those of you looking to shave time off of your detail routine. If you're like most of us you have one area in the garage you store all of your Adams supplies... as you work you have to keep walking to that cabinet or shelf and getting the right tool for a particular spot, or you realize you missed something and go back for that product again. During the course of a detail you spend a TON of time just walking to and from your supplies. If I've learned anything from working for a manufacturing facility is that efficiency is key... and the key to efficiency is to be prepared.

Why travel to your products when you can easily have them within arms reach?? The time and effort saved will begin to add up and at the end you will have shaved a significant chunk of time from your detail as well as spared your legs a lot of walking.

Below is my cart... pretty simple. A cheap ($30) husky shop cart from home depot, about $15 worth of self adhesive pipe insulators, a basic surge protector/power strip, and some zip ties. This cart allows me to stock up all my supplies and move them to where I'm working so they're in arms reach. The pipe insulation works perfect to gaurd against any accidents. If the cart rolls into a door panel no harm no foul!!

IMG00084-20090906-1623.jpg

IMG00086-20090906-1624.jpg

Lets say I'm going to start on the interior... I put a couple of interior applicators, my VRT, leather conditioner, leather cleaner, glass cleaner, some microfibers, my metrovac, assorted brushes, etc on the cart. I plug the mounted strip into an extension cord and plug that into the wall. Now I have power and all my supplies right with me whereever I move until the job is done. I never have to worry about getting up to pull more slack out of the cord as long as the cart is nearby I have enough to reach, I never have to get up to get the VRT back out b/c I realized I forgot a spot, etc.

Tomorrow I'm planning on pirating a cupholder from an old stroller we have packed away and mounting it on there as well, because as we all know some cold frosty brew is just as important to a quality detail as polish or wax

:lolsmack:

24 answers to this question

I have seen some people actually mount their halogens on carts like this. If you buy some halogens, the top section comes up and you can just set it on a shelf. Keep posting any improvements.

I am working on a "wash cart" that I can put 2 buckets, brushes, etc which is really a wooden cart on casters. I hate bending over to dip the mitt in the bucket or toting the buckets around.

great idea Dylan! i have a set up like that with a computer and printer along with all my diagnostic cables at work. This allows me to be much more efficient as well. When i get back to work tomorrow i will snap a picture and post it up.

Not sure of the material that cart is made of but if it is magnetic material I picked up a can cozie thing at dicks sporting goods with a HD magnet on it that would work great. Like a neoprene foam material and strong enough to hold a full... soda to the front of the fridge.

Great Idea with the detailing cart. I have seen them with a middle shelf so that equals more storage space. It all depends on how much money you want to put into a cart.

You are right just walk back and forth takes time (more time than you think).

I would need to add a stereo system to my detail cart. Gotta have tunes to work. It motivates me. :rockon:

I have an old iMac in my garage. It's loaded with all my music and sounds decent enough. It also comes in handy for quickly looking up parts, how-to articles, etc.