Customer Service 866.965.0400

First job

Opeth

Well its not really a job, but more of a first test on a car other than my own. I have not seen it yet, but apparently my uncle used the abrasive side of a kitchen sponge to remove bird crap from his Acura TL. It obiviously did not go too well and I am going over there on Thursday to try and fix it. I will have pictures put up on thursday. I'm super excited so I figured I'd go ahead and start a thread for it :D.

Those are gonna be some DEEEP scratches. Be patient and work the hell out of the polish in that area. I'd recommend employing a little of the Junkmans slow cut strategy by reactivating the SHR after the first pass with some DS and go back at it... let the pad do some of the cutting.

Be sure to take before and after pics!!

Those are gonna be some DEEEP scratches. Be patient and work the hell out of the polish in that area. I'd recommend employing a little of the Junkmans slow cut strategy by reactivating the SHR after the first pass with some DS and go back at it... let the pad do some of the cutting.

Be sure to take before and after pics!!

Thanks for the tips!

There will be pics.

I'll admit that I'm guilty of using one of those sponges to clean the alloy wheels on my Audi a few years ago. Seemed like a good idea at the time. :willy:

Anyway, once the wheels were rinsed and dried it was scratch-city. But some quality time with a mother's powerball (the small size) and some Adam's SHR got ALL the scratches out -- and left the wheels looking nearly new (they had 80K on them at the time).

So don't worry too much; with time, patience and the right approach you should be fine. :thumbsup:

Very nice work Bill!

My uncle is powerfully anal retentive about his car being clean and goes to , pardon my french, Frank's Car Wash twice a week. Hopefully, I can get the bad scratches out, thereby really wowing him, and therefore paying me to detail his whole car. I doubt he's ever seen his car swirl free, I bet he'd flip out. He doesn't know that paint can be corrected quite easily.

Question: How important is pressure on the PC for this application? I've watched the slow-cut videos, is this the best method to start with? Little to no pressure with numerous passes?

You can't go wrong using AJ's slow-cut process:2thumbs:

Question: How important is pressure on the PC for this application? I've watched the slow-cut videos, is this the best method to start with? Little to no pressure with numerous passes?

The advantage of the slow cut process is that the polisher does all the work. You can go for hours and not get tired. However, you will find with different clear coats, different techniques are called for. This comes with time and experience with a bunch of different cars, repeatedly. You'll eventually get to a point where your experience will lend a hand in determining which process is best for the car you're looking at.

If you do one spot using the slow cut, a spot next to it using 9-14 pounds of pressure and then another spot using max pressure (as Adam does), you can determine for yourself which technique is best for the car you're working on. Then you have to determine who's going to do the work; you or the polisher.

Here is what using a dry paper towel to do that will cause.

Not to thread jack - but I was at a car show about a month ago. A guy had a new GT500 Mustang, black paint....was running a dry paper towel across the paint to "clean" it...also used it to scrub the bird crap off..:(

It makes you want to scream :willy::willy::willy::willy:

Unless there are trophies to be had at the show, then you run and get them more paper towels :D:D:D

Not to thread jack - but I was at a car show about a month ago. A guy had a new GT500 Mustang, black paint....was running a dry paper towel across the paint to "clean" it...also used it to scrub the bird crap off..:(