Customer Service 866.965.0400

I need some advice

IMADreamer

It's a little strange turning to complete strangers on the net for advice but my family hasn't been real helpful with this situation.

Ok here's the deal, I work in politics (I'll leave it at that), on the side I've been working for my municipal water treatment facility as an engineer in training. I love that job. I used to love the politics too, but the love it gone. Now as you all may remember recently I found out both jobs will end in a year or so.

Well the politics job has been wearing on me, like losing sleep, high blood pressure wearing on me. You see my boss hasn't been to work in 14 weeks. She had a very minor surgery that would keep a normal person out for a week but she's anything but normal because she's a hypochondriac and a drama queen. Let me further explain by saying she only works 10 hours a week and complains she's over worked.

Anyway, today starts the 14th week of her being gone and she was supposed to be here today. She has a ton of work to catch up on so that I can do my job. I don't have access to her computer and I don't know exactly what it is she does anyway, I just know I can't do stuff until she hands it off to me. So in the mean time I've been taking butt chewing after butt chewing from people about work not getting done, work I can't do.... It gets old getting chewed out everyday for things out of your control.

To top all this off last Tuesday was pay day, and I nor my coworkers have been paid because my boss isn't coming to work.

The bottom line is I want to quit. In the short term I can make up the money by helping out on my families farm during corn harvest. After that I don't know. My other job pays enough to pay my bills, put food on my table, etc etc. I'll just have to cut down on buying Adam's products and car parts.

So I don't know what to do and I realize no one can make this decision for me but I'm just looking for some advice here.

To bad you have to quit... It'd be nice to get fired so you can pull unemployment. My take is that if you're not happy then leave. Make sure you have a contingency plan though.

You have to do what YOU think is right. It's YOU and ONLY YOU that matters here. Unless you're married with children.

Good luck!

Chris

If she isn't there to do her job than how can they expect you to have your job complete if you depend on her?? Go to your HR Department and let them know that you are not the one that is slacking.

Do you have the type of relationship with her that you could call her and ask whats up?? Tell her that you haven't been paid!!!!

On another note...is the stress worth it??

I have been totally stressed at work the past month and sometimes I wonder if I would be happier working at somewhere like Outback, Red Lobster or even AJ's assistant :D instead of being the boss/babysitter. I would love a job that stays at work and you don't bring it home.

Good luck.

I agree... see if you can go over her head. Forget about whether or not it's going to make her angry; I imagine everyone there is already familiar with her theatrics anyway. And if you can't talk to someone higher up, approach the guys that are chewing you out and see if there's any way to can deliver something to them without having to go through her. At least you can impress upon them that you WANT to be getting things done and are open to working with them to find a way. Heck, maybe they'll let you do HER job!

As in all things in life, don't be rash and don't burn any bridges; at the end of the day your reputation and how others see/think of/value you is your greatest asset. Decide, too, if riding this out is worth it; maybe get out now and use the time to find other opportunities, start a PT dealing business, teach yourself a new skill, get in shape, travel around a bit or whatever...

Rich

Go help your family get the crops in.

I would be very surprised if last tuesday's missing paycheck doesn't become

a habit.

Where in Illinois are you? I grew up near Bloomington.

Pittsfield, near Quincy if you aren't familiar with the name. I was just in Bloomington last week visiting family.

If she isn't there to do her job than how can they expect you to have your job complete if you depend on her?? Go to your HR Department and let them know that you are not the one that is slacking.

Do you have the type of relationship with her that you could call her and ask whats up?? Tell her that you haven't been paid!!!!

On another note...is the stress worth it??

I have been totally stressed at work the past month and sometimes I wonder if I would be happier working at somewhere like Outback, Red Lobster or even AJ's assistant :D instead of being the boss/babysitter. I would love a job that stays at work and you don't bring it home.

Good luck.

I am the HR department, and public relations, and well just about everything else. lol

As typical with Illinois politics the details are muddy. Above her is no one really. She is the head of the office. Above that are the people who set up this program, who are people I don't exactly have access to. The people chewing me out are people you see on the news every night. Basically I'm as close to the top as I can get, and she's as close to the top as I can complain. She is where she is at because of money and connections. That's the way it works here. She could not come to work for the next year and no one would say anything to her.

I promise this isn't a rash decision, it's been coming for a good while and I honestly think my boss has intentionally held me back from better things because I do put up with her crap and cover her *** really well. All that is weighing heavily on my mind.

Quit covering for her. I recently quit covering for the VP of our company and I make him do his own stuff because I am not getting paid to do 2 jobs and neither are you! I at least get paid every week!!

If I had the chance to bail and go play in the fields without hurting my financial ability to do the things I want to do I'd be gone in a second.

Quit covering for her. I recently quit covering for the VP of our company and I make him do his own stuff because I am not getting paid to do 2 jobs and neither are you! I at least get paid every week!!

If I had the chance to bail and go play in the fields without hurting my financial ability to do the things I want to do I'd be gone in a second.

Yea, stop covering her. Let the cameras train on her and then see how fast she starts giving you the stuff you need. :2thumbs:

Pittsfield, near Quincy if you aren't familiar with the name. I was just in Bloomington last week visiting family.

Closest I've been to Pittsfield was when I dated a girl from Beardstown 25+ yrs. ago. Can't even remember her name.

After harvest is done how about posting a step by step combine detail?

That would be fun.:lolsmack:

Closest I've been to Pittsfield was when I dated a girl from Beardstown 25+ yrs. ago. Can't even remember her name.

After harvest is done how about posting a step by step combine detail?

That would be fun.:lolsmack:

Well fortunately we trade combines every other year and this is the last year for this one.

So that how to will go like this.

load dirty combine on to lowboy trailer

drive semi with lowboy to dealership

come home with shiny clean combine.

lol

I'll have two of these to get shiny again after harvest though.

STXfront.jpg

... I have been totally stressed at work the past month and sometimes I wonder if I would be happier working at somewhere like Outback, Red Lobster or even AJ's assistant :D instead of being the boss/babysitter. I would love a job that stays at work and you don't bring it home.

Good luck.

I provide benefits! All you have to do is wear our company gear. :D

Jason, the best day of my working career was the day I quit a job that had me stressed out. I was very young and did not have a job lined up, but the moment I walked out of that place I learned a very valuable lesson.

The BS ain't worth my health.

I have never worked another job where money was the main motivating factor. Peace of mind and health are priceless.

Jason, the best day of my working career was the day I quit a job that had me stressed out. I was very young and did not have a job lined up, but the moment I walked out of that place I learned a very valuable lesson.

The BS ain't worth my health.

I have never worked another job where money was the main motivating factor. Peace of mind and health are priceless.

Jason, I agree with what Junkman2008 said. I too did the same thing, still can remember that day that I walked out on my prior job and did not even look back when I went out the door (how happy I was when I heard the door close). I did not even have a job when I walked out of that place. At the prior place I hated to go to work each day, not knowing what I would have to hear from my boss (I got to the point that I was speaking my mind and telling her what I thought about the work load and my opinion of her).

It was not many days until it was realized who done most of the work in the department.

Edited by DieselDude

:iagree: I bailed and started my own business....:banana: