Customer Service 866.965.0400

? 4 black car owners that used a PC

MitsukiGT

Question

I did a test spot on my black sierra today witht he PC.

First I started with orange pad + SHR, followed by white + FMP.

Results looked really good except in the sunlight there are lots of tiny scratches from the pads. These scratches I speak of are only seen in the sunlight, can't see them with halogens.

So I'm thinking the scratches might be swirls not removed. So next on the same spot I went with the Yellow pad + SHR, then orange pad + shr, then white + FMP. I didn't see any difference, those tiny scratched are still there.

I remember somone telling me about the PC and black cars, but for the life of me I can't locate that thread.

So what is the trick to making this paint flawless in the sunlight? Work the white pad forever?

Just for reference you can see it remove the swirls\scratches, but leaves tiny scratches that don't match up to where swirls were. In the pictures you can't see the leftovers that I speak of, but they are there in the sunlight.

(orange spots are not on paint, the camera lense is dirty)

before

3932164497_53c8089a3a_b.jpg

after

3932164237_20eaa9aedd_b.jpg

• Answers 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks.

1. obviously the pad was new as I said. I killed the old pad so I guess I'm SOL for doing the slow cut.

2. The answer to your question on pressure is I don't know. I used a scale to see what 14lbs of pressure was and I tried to do that.

3. I might be moving too fast.

4. I really really really wish Adam had that mark on the backplate in his video. To me he is applying ALLOT of pressure in the video, but really no way to know without that mark.

This truck is 3 years old and only 5K on it...so not my DD. Sits in the garage most the time. I'd like to get it 90% perfect. I see no reason I can't. Just got to find out what I'm doing wrong here.

So really, your "pressure" is like using 1 finger to press on the PC? To me that is what 14lbs is like.

Put that mark on your back plate and make that video. I'm waiting. By the way, Adam does use a lot of pressure. That' his technique. But you and I are NOT going to have the same exact results that Adam has using his technique until we practice his technique. This is somewhat knowledge, somewhat art. The knowledge is easy, the art takes practice.

3952068520_da29bcccdb_b.jpg

In this photo the 'swirls' that are left over look pretty deep, almost like rids (random isolated deep scratches) that could have been caused by taking your car through a car wash maybe.

I always think of the Orange Pad/SHR as the first cut and then refine my finish with the white/fmp. I always make sure and work my fmp all the way until it flashes clear.

Well I have to wait until the sun shines to see if the pad mark swirls are there. I'll try the q-tip again in the sun on the sections I worked several days ago so you can hopefully see the swirls I speak of. I have my fingers crossed they are not in this new section. but this is the roof of the truck so I can play a little and really who can tell up there. I'll be happy with 70% for the roof, but I need to get my method on the roof to 90% before I move on. Hopefully I can get some useful video from that camera.

Also I never took my truck in a touch wash. Never took a rag to it. Just touchless washes. I'm wondering what the f they did to this poor truck. I special ordered it, 0 miles when I took delivery. So far I found a dent in the top of the door and a big chunk of paint that is just plaint messed up...need a picture to describe it. And as you can see the paint is in horrible condition.

It is what it is, I'll get it fixed with all your help:pc:

Edited by MitsukiGT

First of all, WOW that paint looks outstanding, maybe it is just the light or the camera won't take bad or something, but that looks real good to me!

I am a first timer, but I read your whole thread and you seem to be complaining about the swirls that your pad makes right? The orange pad and SHR is for removing the big swirls and spider webs and the white pad and FMP revomes the orange pads very light swirls. If the white pad is leaving any swirls still (which from you pictures looks very very light) have you tried using a white pad and RP (revive polish) or even a black pad and RP? Either that or the swirls looks so light because as some have said it is deep in your clear coat. I though RP is the last polish (if you could even call it that it has so fine a cut) before you wax something. SHR>FMP>RP>SMW no?

Pro's please correct me if I am mistaken or misleading/ giving bad advice.

I do have the mark. first thing I did. Not sure about makeing a video. My camera take 20 second clips. It is a PnS camera, not a video camera.

Let me see a 20 second video then. In order to give you significant help, I need a video of you doing a pass in one section. Just work the product one time until it is gone. I want to see how much product you use to, and I want to see that black mark as you see in my videos.

I though RP is the last polish (if you could even call it that it has so fine a cut) before you wax something. SHR>FMP>RP>SMW no?

Correct :banana::banana::banana:

Just one correction, it is MSW not SMW :)

First of all, WOW that paint looks outstanding, maybe it is just the light or the camera won't take bad or something, but that looks real good to me!

I am a first timer, but I read your whole thread and you seem to be complaining about the swirls that your pad makes right? The orange pad and SHR is for removing the big swirls and spider webs and the white pad and FMP revomes the orange pads very light swirls. If the white pad is leaving any swirls still (which from you pictures looks very very light) have you tried using a white pad and RP (revive polish) or even a black pad and RP? Either that or the swirls looks so light because as some have said it is deep in your clear coat. I though RP is the last polish (if you could even call it that it has so fine a cut) before you wax something. SHR>FMP>RP>SMW no?

Black is the hardest color to get perfect. You will see any and every imperfection. And from what I've been told the clear on this truck is pretty hard. That means I have it twice as hard. I am sure my problem at this point is just technique.

My other problem is I just don't know if the damage "should" be taken out with the PC or it is too deep. I might have worked it properly but if they are too deep then they are too deep...PC simply won't remove them. To my eyes they look pretty small. I removed much deeper scratched from my G8.

Junkman, what settings you want me to do the video with? I'll see what I can put together tonight.

Edited by MitsukiGT

Your pictures show really very minimal imperfections so at this point it just seems like you're striving for a level of perfection that is just unrealistic, not to mention on black that level of perfection is going to be very difficult to maintain.

Honestly, are you going to be taking this truck to shows? Is it going to be in some sort of magazine shoot? Seems that you'd REALLY have to be looking for these very minor imperfections from about an inch away to see them, and no one besides you are ever going to look that closely at your paint.

My final advice... set realistic expectations and goals.

Your pictures show really very minimal imperfections so at this point it just seems like you're striving for a level of perfection that is just unrealistic, not to mention on black that level of perfection is going to be very difficult to maintain.

Honestly, are you going to be taking this truck to shows? Is it going to be in some sort of magazine shoot? Seems that you'd REALLY have to be looking for these very minor imperfections from about an inch away to see them, and no one besides you are ever going to look that closely at your paint.

My final advice... set realistic expectations and goals.

Does your finish look like that up close? That fender shot of yours looks flawless.

Really that last picture the results were good. The last few posts were discussing my technique as it seems the product is drying before I complete 1 checkerboard pattern.

Does your finish look like that up close? That fender shot of yours looks flawless.

Really that last picture the results were good. The last few posts were discussing my technique as it seems the product is drying before I complete 1 checkerboard pattern.

When that picture was taken, yes... the paint was 99.9% perfect... that was also many many many miles ago and literally MINUTES after completing a correction that took the better part of 2 and a half days.

Could i get my paint to that point again? Sure... but is it worth it? Not in my opinion. No matter how careful you are, what techniques you use, you are gradually going to have minor imperfections reintroduced to the finish after you wash it... its a fact of life. The only way to be 100% perfect and swirl free is to correct the paint then seal your car up in a bubble and never drive it.

Set a realistic expectation of where your paint should be and what is a realistic level of maintenance should be. You'll drive youself slowly insane trying to get a paint job perfect and then keeping it that way. Also, lets not kid ourselves here, we're talking about a $30-$40k GMC Truck, not a $2,000,000 Enzo.

Just my 2 pennies worth... take it for what it is and proceed accordingly. Anyone who tells you their paint on a car they drive is 100% flawless is either lying or has too much free time on their hands.

I just thought of something that might help.... The wax can hid some of the micro-swirls if they are light. It is kind of a cheat, but if you are the only one that knows the swrils are there and no one can see it untill your wax starts to wear off, it might be an option to get you by for now. Sorry for those that this might be detailing blasphemy lol.

That is what I am going to do, I think I bit off a bit more than I can chew, and I am man enough to admit it. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I just thought of something that might help.... The wax can hid some of the micro-swirls if they are light. It is kind of a cheat, but if you are the only one that knows the swrils are there and no one can see it untill your wax starts to wear off, it might be an option to get you by for now. Sorry for those that this might be detailing blasphemy lol.

That is one of the big reasons people use a glaze :rockon::rockon:

It will hide that stuff even better than wax :2thumbs:

This post is in response to Junkman's request to see me in action (maybe to get a good laugh). I found how to make the camera take videos longer than 20 seconds as well. Anyway, I am NOT complaining here. This is just the information Junkman requested. Check it out if you like, but keep in mind this information is not being posted because I am dissatisfied with the results. I am actually pretty happy with them:2thumbs:

//---************

With that said, any and all comments are welcome!

Basically I slow cut then use Adam's method. Allot of work, but it does give me the results I want.

OK, I had about 2 hours daylight, still not sunny though. I took some picture and video of my working the cent of the hood. Keep in mind I have worked the entire hood already, but wasn't happy with the results due to poor technique.

Here is my mini tripod that I will mount my PnS camera to. I will be working the area in the "dip" of my hood. Basically between the lines :-) I broke it up into 3 sections that took me about 2 hours in total to work the three sections. (Notice I found a use for the Walmart MF towel...good tripod cusion)

3953913701_b254c9d9d4_b.jpg

Here is a before photo of the area I am going to work. This area has previously been worked...but I am sure I was using WAY TO MUCH pressure, and likely moving a little fast.

3954694168_048df04be0_b.jpg

I'll go ahead and post the results here now for those not interested in my technique..or lack there of:(

3954694416_6da1015974_b.jpg

3953913899_3b055df856_b.jpg

3953914217_b2f9ec62dd_b.jpg

Now for the video. Keep in mind this is NOT a video camera. Just an old PnS, so quality is lacking.

Video 1 and Video 2 go together. I ran out of battery just after starting, so it is 2 videos. This is when I first start. Before the camera starts rolling I simply spread my 3 pea sized drops over my area. This is on speed setting of 3. I am applying NO PRESSURE.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrnspueiVCA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrnspueiVCA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cMHR1rFep4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cMHR1rFep4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Video 3 I picks up with the orange pad at speed 6. Between video 2 and this video I made an additional pass at speed 3 and a pass at speed 5, both starting with a spritz of DS. Starting with speed 6 I add more DS. I still have no added any product. Here I am applying pressure with just 3 fingers, basically jest enough pressure so the PC stops bouncing all over. You see a few times get get a little heavy on it so I back off and then apply just enough pressure to keep it from bouncing around.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJK_bxdesYg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJK_bxdesYg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Video 4 I start with the white pad, 3 pea sized drops and speed setting of 5. I initially spread the product on speed 3. Between videos 3 and 4 I worked the orange pad on speed 5 with some FMP. I am applying the same pressure I described in the previous video.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tE195L1u-o&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tE195L1u-o&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Video 5 I attempt to show the results with halogens. But those are heavy to hold up in the air like that, so not sure this really shows anything.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7hb2snjvZo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7hb2snjvZo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

So what do you think of the results? And be honest. If it were your car would you be happy?

Thank you for your time

Edited by MitsukiGT

First off, I would be extremely happy with those results :2thumbs:

Secondly, I was the one who asked for the video.

Third, now you are moving a little too slow.

Fourth, hold that PC like you mean it, it won't bite !!!!! By holding it like that you have a habit of leaning on the front of the pad and not keeping it level :hi:

Keep practicing you are getting where you want to go :rockon::rockon::rockon:

But your learning, that is the key :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That was why I asked for the video, not just for us but for you to see what you were doing. It's kind of like golf, nobody ever thinks their golf swing is anything different than what it FEELS like when they are doing it, but when they see it on video they know what it really looks like :help::help::help:

Your technique looks fine if you are doing it exactly as it shows in the videos ( a tad slow but that is better than too fast). I see nothing wrong with it at all other than that. Just remember, you can't do the slow cut until there is enough product on the pad. I never use a brand new pad to do the slow cut, always one that has been used and is still damp with product.

Another thing, I didn't get my paint where it is by buffing alone. I had to (and still need to) wet sand spots around the car. Perfection takes more than you should probably try to achieve, unless you have the know how. I was going for perfection because I wanted to know how to get there. It didn't happen overnight and I screwed up a few times to a cost I won't disclose. Now I know, but the learning curve is steep and costly.

Like someone else said, 99% is pretty darn good. I'd be happy with it because no one else is going to notice the flaws that you are pointing out unless you are showing your truck at SEMA.

Edited by Junkman2008

Ouch:(

That wasn't at all meant as a dig, but if we're being honest all out perfection on a pickup truck seems a little less reasonable than perfection on a Ferrari.

As for your video I think everyone touched on the keys. Your pad should be moving approximately 1 inch per second, if it helps try counting while you move to keep a rythm. Good catch also on the leaning/angel of the pad. To get the most correcting ability out of the pad you want it in full contact with the paint. Anytime you lift an edge you'll get dusting as well as cost yourself some correcting power as only a portion of the pad is in contact.

Overall your technique seems solid... just keep practicing.