Customer Service 866.965.0400

Question on Americana Wax Application

TR6speed

Question

I realize Americana Wax has been out for some time now, and I ordered my just after it came out, but I have not used it as of yet.

Now for my dumb question. I will be getting the car ready for an annual Corvette show next month. My plan was to first clay the car if needed (plastic bag test). Then apply a coat of Fine Machine Polish and remove it. Next a coat of Super Machine Wax. Wait about a half hour or so and then remove it. Wait 12 hours ( I was just made aware of this) and wipe the car down with a plush microfiber towel. Then I was going to apply a coat of the Americana Wax. Does this appear to be the correct procedure, or is the Super Machine Wax needed?

18 answers to this question

That sounds right to me.

I think you can add some revive polish in there before MSW as well.

I found out the hard way you only let the Americana sit for 5 minutes or so before you wipe it off or it will be very hard to remove. So wax a panel, then wax the next, now remove the wax from the first, etc

When you get to the show you can add some BSG to make it look nice and shiny.

Edited by MitsukiGT

Thats a prefect process TR6. The MSW isn't "needed" but it does add a nice base of protection going forward. Keep in mind 2 coats of Americana is about the same durability level of one coat of MSW but with far more "bling"

I would skip the Brilliant Spray Glaze as it will just hamper the finish of the Americana if its been applied so recently. If anything I'd double up on the coats of Americana... 2 coats over MSW seems to be the magic combo to get a really deep/wet finish. Thats currently what my TBSS is treated with and its been the best combination so far.

DSC_5410.jpg

DSC_5403.jpg

image0004-1.jpg

DSC_4976.jpg

Edited by Dylan06SS

How long should one wait before using BSG?

If over the top of MSW 12 hours at least... if over Americana I'd wait at least until after the next wash.

Americana has a much deeper/richer shine than BSG so topping it with another product serves only to add another step, time, and wasted effort. I find people get a little product happy sometimes and applications become more like therapy than an act of necessity. As the Americana begins to settle in and lose some of its "just waxed" appeal and bump with BSG isnt' a bad idea... but Americana won't need that for awhile IMO, it holds it shine pretty well.

Of course this is based purely on my own personal experience and people should feel free to experiment as they see fit. There is no "right" answer for every situation... just be careful that the benefit you see from adding BSG over another product isn't just placebo effect. :thumbsup:

Thats a prefect process TR6. The MSW isn't "needed" but it does add a nice base of protection going forward. Keep in mind 2 coats of Americana is about the same durability level of one coat of MSW but with far more "bling"

I would skip the Brilliant Spray Glaze as it will just hamper the finish of the Americana if its been applied so recently. If anything I'd double up on the coats of Americana... 2 coats over MSW seems to be the magic combo to get a really deep/wet finish. Thats currently what my TBSS is treated with and its been the best combination so far.

DSC_5410.jpg

DSC_5403.jpg

image0004-1.jpg

DSC_4976.jpg

Thanks , and by the way, that is one fine loking Trailbalzer SS you have there. The wife drives an Extended TB.

I just got saw the americana for the first time on a demo car, that stuff is impressive!

When I wipe it off, it is ok to use DS if I need "help" getting it off like when wiping off the MSW or just strait MF towell?

and how long should I wait before adding a second coat?

And do you think WCW will make it last longer than shampoo wash, or is it about the same.... is it a wash between the two processes? :lolsmack:

Edited by nooner

If you apply it in the shade on a cool surface, and don't let it sit for too long (usually around 5 minutes is good when using a paste, unless it's really humid then wait a little longer) then the residue should wipe off very easily without the need for any Detail Spray

I use the old Adam method, of using a Plush Micro Fiber polishing towel and my pc. Is that not a good idea for the Americana wax?

That's fine if you like doing it that way but as long as you only do one or two panels at a time without letting it sit too long it comes off really easy with just a MF :hi:

I just got saw the americana for the first time on a demo car, that stuff is impressive!

When I wipe it off, it is ok to use DS if I need "help" getting it off like when wiping off the MSW or just strait MF towell?

and how long should I wait before adding a second coat?

And do you think WCW will make it last longer than shampoo wash, or is it about the same.... is it a wash between the two processes? :lolsmack:

I don't like the use of Detail Spray with Americana for removal and it shouldn't really be needed. The gloss enhancers and polymers in the DS seem to not like the natural ingredients in Americana. If you're applying 2 panels at a time with thin coats and going back to remove within 5-10 minutes it should buff off easily with just the MF.

I don't think theres any problem with doing back to back coats of Americana other than it will cut durability. Pastes tend to continue to harden over a period of a few hours. Keep in mind the hotter it is the longer you should wait for subsequent coats. To speed this up you can do a post application wipe down with a clean MF and some distilled ice water in a sprayer. It helps to harden the wax and prep for a second coat sooner.

WCW will not strip the wax or anything so its just as safe as a traditional car wash (with Adams pH neutral shampoo) if not safer. I've even gone to doing post detail wipe downs with WCW just to cut down on static and get any remaining polish/wax dust I may have missed.

I use the old Adam method, of using a Plush Micro Fiber polishing towel and my pc. Is that not a good idea for the Americana wax?

Thats fine, but given the short cure times it seems like more work than its worth.

Sorry I made such a big deal of this. That stuff is so expensive I didn't want to waste any or whatever.

IMO, that stuff is SO much easier to deal with than MSW. I even had a phone call and forgot about it and 15 mins later went to wipe it off and it was no problem at all. However the MSW took DS and a MF towel and using the light to check. Missed a spot, more DS and more MF wiping and when I think I finally had it all.... I drive it outside and the light shows more "streaks".

The americana is an outstanding product.

Sorry I made such a big deal of this. That stuff is so expensive I didn't want to waste any or whatever.

IMO, that stuff is SO much easier to deal with than MSW. I even had a phone call and forgot about it and 15 mins later went to wipe it off and it was no problem at all. However the MSW took DS and a MF towel and using the light to check. Missed a spot, more DS and more MF wiping and when I think I finally had it all.... I drive it outside and the light shows more "streaks".

The americana is an outstanding product.

I wouldn't worry about wasting it... you go sooooo many coats out of a single can. I've done about 10 treatments to my cars and it still looks like I haven't made any impact into the jar. :2thumbs:

If you apply it in the shade on a cool surface, and don't let it sit for too long (usually around 5 minutes is good when using a paste, unless it's really humid then wait a little longer) then the residue should wipe off very easily without the need for any Detail Spray

:iagree::2thumbs:

I wouldn't worry about that, a friend of mine details for a living, he's probably done over 50 vehicles with his first jar of Americana, and is maybe 1/4 into the tub. This stuff will last forever for a regular old chap like you and me, that is unless your waxing 3-5 times a week :glasses: