Customer Service 866.965.0400

Backing plate supposed to be this unbalanced?

nooner

Question

Here is a video of me showing how unbalanced my PC is. I think the problem is a bad washer. The bottom seems to be somewhat "crushed" and therefore causing an imbalance.

CIMG0482.jpg

The washer next to a normal rubber washing standing on a table.

And here is a video

http://s573.photobucket.com/albums/ss175/nooner37/?action=view&current=PC1.flv

I think I have to talk with customer service about this... but I wanted to make sure this was a problem first.

17 answers to this question

I hear there are these new stores out there, I think they call them Hardware Stores, I'm thinking you can get a replacement for the one you crushed there for about 8 cents :lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack:

Thanks lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SDC3oYRaG8&feature=channel_page

about 7:38-7:51

But when I saw Junkman's video he says they are very hard to find they are like $10 or something. I think they are special, not just your everyday metal washer. It looks like 2 metal washers between a cork or something that is made to "give" a bit. I don't think I crushed it either, if I did, it should crush uniformly I would think since the backing plate is flat and the nut it goes against is flat.

But to answer my quesiton, it does look unbalanced? Or is that a normal amount of wobble?

Edited by C6Bill

Looks fine to me... keep in mind the backing plates are not perfectly "true" as they're made of a flexible foam, plus when you use it the 'wobble' would be canceled out as you should be apply some pressure.

If it makes you feel better, replace the washer, but as it is it seems fine to me. My PC wobbles just about the same amount when I freespin the plate

Looks fine to me... keep in mind the backing plates are not perfectly "true" as they're made of a flexible foam, plus when you use it the 'wobble' would be canceled out as you should be apply some pressure.

If it makes you feel better, replace the washer, but as it is it seems fine to me. My PC wobbles just about the same amount when I freespin the plate

Alright cool thanks.

:iagree:

I had the pleasure of meeting Adam today and I watched him free spin his PC and wow was it ever true (balanced).

He played around with mine switching pads and plates ect. and then I mentioned this infamous "washer". He took it off, and my PC worked great. It was just as true as his.

I fugure if the man himself told me to take it off and it is uneeded, the same man backing the 110% Unconditional Lifetime Satisfaction Guarantee, its good enought for me.

Now I know why I couldn't use the side handle on 6opm for more than 30 seconds without feeling that my hand is about to break off, that unbalanced PC REALLY viberates bad. I was able to try out the balanced PC and the difference was night and day. Not only was it soooo much easier to hold, but I think it did a better job faster too and no pad DUSTING!:banana:

Where else can you get this kind of customer service? :2thumbs:

Mine has the same wobble too. I think mine might be the pad.. like Dylan is saying, but im gona try some different washers and see if it takes the wobble away. On top of this when i first got my PC I was happily removing swirl and haze when my orange pad got ripped up just like this http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4280

Kind of a bummer but i managed to finish without the Velcro by applying constant pressure and being very careful, eventually the orange pad burst into flames near my gas tank causing this problem... attachment.php?attachmentid=103332&stc=1&d=1238272382http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=103332&stc=1&d=1238272382 rofl

Edited by Adam
Plugged in the image

I don't see how anyone can get the backing plate tight enough AND remove the wrench without the washer. If I remove the washer on both my PC's, the wrench gets stuck once I tighten the backing plate down. If folks remove the washer, I think that we'll see a few instances where people's backing plate come flying off while using the PC. That would stink.

Nooner was a special case which cannot be described with words. :confused:

yea i was sad too..im not sure why there hasn't been a recal but the stock fuel line going into the engine is in an uncomfortable position. The fuel line tends to rub a bit on the engine so the factory just put a piece of padding between the corner where the fuel line rubs on the engine. when that piece of padding wears down some of the fuel lines are cut and cause fires, prob like the one in this pic. so i have moded my fuel line so it will not break.

but anyway..

Yea Junkman i took that little washer off to see if the wobble would calm down a bit and i did manage to get it pretty tight. But i still had no improvement. So i just put the little washer back on (it is a fuss to get the wrench in there w/o that washer). Anyway my wobble isn't worse then this video on this thread but i can't understand why my orange pad got destroyed.. I think..since my car has a lot of curves, i have to keep even pressure when im going over those curves to keep the backing pad from tearing the pad apart. Especially when i have my pc on 6. I make sure the pad is dead center and the Velcro is secured.

Anyone else have this problem?

yea i was sad too..im not sure why there hasn't been a recal but the stock fuel line going into the engine is in an uncomfortable position. The fuel line tends to rub a bit on the engine so the factory just put a piece of padding between the corner where the fuel line rubs on the engine. when that piece of padding wears down some of the fuel lines are cut and cause fires, prob like the one in this pic. so i have moded my fuel line so it will not break.

but anyway..

Yea Junkman i took that little washer off to see if the wobble would calm down a bit and i did manage to get it pretty tight. But i still had no improvement. So i just put the little washer back on (it is a fuss to get the wrench in there w/o that washer). Anyway my wobble isn't worse then this video on this thread but i can't understand why my orange pad got destroyed.. I think..since my car has a lot of curves, i have to keep even pressure when im going over those curves to keep the backing pad from tearing the pad apart. Especially when i have my pc on 6. I make sure the pad is dead center and the Velcro is secured.

Anyone else have this problem?

I seldom buff at a speed of 6. I have never had any issues with my pads staying on the PC.

I don't see how anyone can get the backing plate tight enough AND remove the wrench without the washer. If I remove the washer on both my PC's, the wrench gets stuck once I tighten the backing plate down. :confused:

Been there done that... No issues... I have the washer on it now though.

I get a bit of wobble but when I apply pressure wobble really doesn't matter.:thumbsup: