Customer Service 866.965.0400

Newb routine by hand

scarhead

Question

Hi, I'm a newb here.

Been washing/waxing/detailing with the Wal*Mart special products for years and this weekend I plan on doing a full Adam's detail on my G8 and my girlfriend's Maxima (which needs it BADLY). I got hooked on the detail spray and decided to order TONS of other Adam's products :rockon:.

I've been reading and researching tips & tricks on the right processes to fit my routine but most of the how-tos I've seen have to do with PC machine polishing. Problem is I don't have a PC (yet), so I will be doing everything by hand. No big deal because I enjoy doing it.

I was going to do the 5 step Wash, Clay, Revive, Wax, VRT.

My question is where does Swirl & Haze Remover fit into the process? Would it be after clay, before revive? Should I even bother using SHR by hand?

My G8 has the typical "been washed with a dirty mitt" swirls, nothing major at all.

Thanks for any tips on this, and I'm sorry if it's been covered but I haven't seen anything by searching.

22 answers to this question

SHR goes before Revive Polish like you said. If your swirls are very minimal you might be able to get away with mixing the Revive and SHR on the same pad, and if that doesn't work you can always separate them into 2 individual steps. When using SHR by hand make sure you apply pressure, work in one direction, then the perpendicular direction, repeat until the product turns almost clear, wipe off the residue with an Adam's MF towel, and inspect your work. Don't be discouraged if they don't all come out on the first pass, as many people need to do more than one pass especially if they don't have a PC. Post some before/after pictures if you can and welcome to the forum

Check here for how to apply SHR by hand.
Oh duh...yeah I should have checked the videos first...I'm going to watch the DVD when it comes in. In this post I am looking for some first hand experience of using SHR and Revive manually.

And I saw pics of your G8 in another post, looks awesome man!

Don't be discouraged if they don't all come out on the first pass, as many people need to do more than one pass especially if they don't have a PC. Post some before/after pictures if you can and welcome to the forum
Thank you for the tips! I will definitely post some pics of my weekend's work. I have my G8 looking pretty good with the typical Wal*Mart purchased products, my paint should look like a mirror when I'm done with it this weekend.

My GF's Maxima is what I really want to do, because it gets washed MAYBE once a month...probably one coat of turtle wax a year. Her car is where I really want to practice and learn how to do a great detail job. I don't mind taking all day working by hand...because when it's done you get instant gratification just by looking at what you did.

Edited by scarhead

I was going to do the 5 step Wash, Clay, Revive, Wax, VRT.

You may want to VRT the trim after the wash. That way if any of the polish gets on the trim it is easier to get off.

Also the scenes from the DVD are available on the forum (click the 'Detailing Videos' link) or just go here http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx if you don't want wait for your DVD.

Oh yes... Don't forget the pictures!

Thanks for the tips!

Yep junkman's videos are going to be on my playlist. Does he have any videos for hand polishing? I've only seen the ones with the PC. This may sound dumb but I really want to learn how to do a sweet detail by hand first...what works, what doesn't, etc. even if it's more work.

I feel that it will help me in the future when i move to machine polishing.

Thanks for the tips!

Yep junkman's videos are going to be on my playlist. Does he have any videos for hand polishing? I've only seen the ones with the PC. This may sound dumb but I really want to learn how to do a sweet detail by hand first...what works, what doesn't, etc. even if it's more work.

I feel that it will help me in the future when i move to machine polishing.

AJ only does the PC video's, polishing by hand is too much like work :jester:

I do both my cars by hand, one of them is a black Vette. I use the Swirl and Haze Remover WITH the Revive......at the same time. I use more Revive than the S&H when I do it that way. Just put it on, let it haze up, and wipe it off.

You can use the S&H by itself, but why do an extra step if you don't have to.

Hope that helps you out.

Rich

Awesome thank you for the tip Rich. I've been doing my research and can't wait until my order arrives. Hopefully UPS comes through.

My black G8 isn't too bad, like i mentioned it just has the typical swirl marks from dealer prep, dirty drying towel, etc.

My GF's maxima is what i really want to do, its a neutral/goldish type color that will shine when it's waxed, but the finish is getting beat in its 118k mi. history, so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with it.

When you're ready to start, be sure to start from scratch..........with a good washing with dawn to remove the old wax, then clay bar, and go from there. That way you'll get the optimum results. And if you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. We're here to help. :2thumbs:

When you're ready to start, be sure to start from scratch......

Cool thank you for the responses...I already see this is a great place for tips, tricks and everything else...I already keep whatever car I have looking great with my arsenal of autozone and walmart products, but after getting my G8 (and falling in love with it) I really want to step up to another level and learn how to detail at a pro/semi-pro level. That might sound dumb but it's something that I really enjoy doing.

Oh I will! Got my 1st Adam's shipment yesterday, 2nd should be here today...yeah I realized my first order wasn't enough, ordered more a day later.

Going to tackle the G8 in the morning, then gotta change brakes on friend's G6 then I'll tackle the Maxima in the evening...hopefully it doesn't rain!

Thanks! One question - For the Revive polish, I know it's a good idea to use post-clay, is that pretty much the only time? Since it's a paint cleaner, i'm assuming it strips off any wax you have on there.

I plan on putting a few more coats of buttery on next weekend and maintain it with detail spray, is it a good idea to skip the revive?

:iagree::welcome:

SHR goes before Revive Polish like you said. If your swirls are very minimal you might be able to get away with mixing the Revive and SHR on the same pad, and if that doesn't work you can always separate them into 2 individual steps. When using SHR by hand make sure you apply pressure, work in one direction, then the perpendicular direction, repeat until the product turns almost clear, wipe off the residue with an Adam's MF towel, and inspect your work. Don't be discouraged if they don't all come out on the first pass, as many people need to do more than one pass especially if they don't have a PC. Post some before/after pictures if you can and welcome to the forum

Thanks! One question - For the Revive polish, I know it's a good idea to use post-clay, is that pretty much the only time? Since it's a paint cleaner, i'm assuming it strips off any wax you have on there.

I plan on putting a few more coats of buttery on next weekend and maintain it with detail spray, is it a good idea to skip the revive?

You want to use it PRE wax. If you're looking to make your work pop, put a coat of Brilliant Spray Glaze as a last step after you're done waxing. You can use the Detail Spray between washings to keep it looking clean and shiny. :thumbsup:

When you're ready to start, be sure to start from scratch..........with a good washing with dawn to remove the old wax, then clay bar, and go from there. That way you'll get the optimum results. And if you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. We're here to help. :2thumbs:

I agree with Rich!:burnout: