Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help convince mom not 2 pay dealer 4 paint protect

MitsukiGT

Question

You guys got any links or other information to help me convince my mom not to pay extra to the dealer for the paint protection? She refuses to believe that they use crappy products and says it must work because the car she had it done to didn't have any rust on it for the 10 years she had it.

I told her that stuff they used probably was well worn off after a year (maybe I'm wrong), and they used cheap product and probably didn't clay the car. Junkman told me they use some crappy sealant or something, but I can't find that post. I'm going to have her read this thread.

Anyway, anyone got any better way to tell her than "the dealer uses crappy products"?

She loves the way my G8 looks with Adams products and wants me to do her new car (won't be black...thank God). But still insists on getting that dealer paint protection.

So experts help me out here:pc:

13 answers to this question

Your Mom shouldn't waste her money. I use to sell lots of aftermarket items and that was one of them. Granted, the paint protection does protect your car a very small amount. Detailing and waxing it yourself with high quality product is the much wiser way to go. Better results by far.

Dealer cost for Paint Protection 10 yrs ago was $39.99...car buyer cost $159.99. Guess who lost on that deal??? You can buy an awful lot of Adam's product for that price!!

Tell Mom to just say "NO"!!

Your Mom shouldn't waste her money. I use to sell lots of aftermarket items and that was one of them. Granted, the paint protection does protect your car a very small amount. Detailing and waxing it yourself with high quality product is the much wiser way to go. Better results by far.

Dealer cost for Paint Protection 10 yrs ago was $39.99...car buyer cost $159.99. Guess who lost on that deal??? You can buy an awful lot of Adam's product for that price!!

Tell Mom to just say "NO"!!

here is a direct quote from junkman from another forum if this helps.

"I have seen this question come up on just about every car care forum known to man. Here's the real scoop. The 3M Clear Bra is the only paint protection available that is actually some type of protection. Not only does it work but you can clearly see and feel it on the car when you get close enough.

Anything else (and I mean EVERYTHING else) is complete BS. Don't let some fancy, smooth talking salesman talk you into buying this crap. In most cases, they whip your car back to the detailing section and wax the thing, then roll it out to you like something was done to the car. Total BS. Don't get screwed out of your cash by falling for this gimmick."

I use to always get the dealer protectant by whatever name they called it. And believe it was once worth it Even others would remark they could tell it was my car by the way it looked. However, in recent years I believe it is not what it once was. There are much, much better ways to go. Lyn, the gf of 20 years (yes we're senior citz) had it applied to her new Mazda CRZ-7 and it was a lousy application and results. They actually put swirl marks on a brand new car and completely missed the middle of the top. I do think it has some value in protecting the interior, however, there are spray cans of interior protectant readily available ( Adam...there may be a business opportunity here). On my Vette ( new in 2006) I passed on the dealer and got better results at a detail shop for ONE THIRD OF THE PRICE ( Mom..did you read that, 3 times better for 1/3 the price)..... Price and quality wise I would surmize you can do even better (especially with your contact on this forum)...take advantage, you'll be glad you did and so will he. :banana:

After disconvering Adams I would no longer get the dealer doggy stuff !!

Thanks everyone, that is some solid information to use :)

What do the dealers use for leather? I already have some of Adam's leather products (both bottles..haven't tried them yet). When I bought my truck (3 years ago) I fell for everything they offered, Paint, Underbody and interior.

I actually think the underbody was worth it, nice thick coat of a tar like substance.

Todays cars and paints are light-years better than what was on the market 25 years ago when "Paint Protection" packages might have actually had some minor benefit. Think about it -- you harly ever see a 10 year old car with any rust on it these days, where as 30 years ago you'd be surprised to find a 10 year old car that DIDN'T have rust on it.

Thanks everyone, that is some solid information to use :)

What do the dealers use for leather? I already have some of Adam's leather products (both bottles..haven't tried them yet). When I bought my truck (3 years ago) I fell for everything they offered, Paint, Underbody and interior.

I actually think the underbody was worth it, nice thick coat of a tar like substance.

I agree...living in MI the underbody is the only thing I would have paid for. Nothing else.

Try out your Adam's Leather products. They work wonders on the interior. It keeps your leather soft and pliable so it doesn't crack.

This should line it out for her... also don't forget to make sure she understands the part I highlighted in RED. This is the key...

You're ready to buy a new car and off you go to start visiting dealerships in your area. After looking at what seems like a million new cars, you finally find the one that you want. You go inside to set up your financing and while you're sitting there, the dealer suggests adding a paint protection treatment that maintains your car's glossy paint job. He promises that it will protect the paint from weather damage and can make this one time offer to you for a mere $1500.00 extra. You might think this is a good deal because certainly you want to make sure that your car continues to look as good as it does now. Before you sign on the dotted line, there are some things that you need to be aware of.

Costly paint protection systems from dealers are only costly to you. The dealers paid very little for them and jack up the price, depending on how much they think the prospective client may be willing to pay. This is why when you balk at the price, they offer to do you a favor and cut it in half. This might seem like a better deal but what you should consider that if he can offer to cut the price by 50%, he could've offered it to you at that price in the first place. This is already a hint at his dishonesty.

Now that you see that you are dealing with a person who has questionable ethics, your radar should be fully engaged. Common sense dictates that a business man is out to make a profit, usually a substantial one and uses you to obtain it. If he's cutting the price in half, he can usually go a whole lot lower.

If you take a moment to read the fine print in the warranty for this "exceptional value" as he might put it, you will note that it’s your responsibility to take the car in periodically, usually every 60 days, to have the protection renewed. Failure to do so will void the warranty and you just spent all that money for nothing. Dealers do this because they are playing the odds that most people are not going to bring the car in for all of the scheduled treatments. Things come up in life, people forget or they can't get the time off from work to take care of it. This puts the odds in the dealer's favor, so they get to sell paint protection plans and warrantees knowing that they will be getting paid for doing little or nothing.

There are many paint protection systems on the market that you can do yourself at your own leisure. They will cost little in comparison to what the dealers are offering to sell it for and you can be assured that you will get the same quality protection at a fraction of the cost.

After you have politely listened to your salesperson's spiel about why you just have to have this paint protection system, smile and say no. Take your car home, do some research and find a protection system you can use do and maintain yourself.

According to the Cars.com article “Getting the Best Deal: Financing & Insurance”:

All new cars are built with rust-resistant galvanized steel (or aluminum or fiberglass) and treated with a rustproofing agent at the factory. Experts say dealer-applied rustproofing is unnecessary, at best. Paint ’sealant’ is a similar story: Factory paint is sealed and durable and can be protected effectively with a coat of wax you apply yourself.

sounds like you're fighting for a lost cause there Mitsuki... best thing to do is just let her learn the hard way. When she shows up on that 61st day b/c she was busy the day before and they tell her "sorry... you missed your scheduled treatment, warranty void" it'll be the last time she does it.