Customer Service 866.965.0400

Its That Time Of Year

airhog

Question

Its that time of year again winter. Just wondering what is the best methods and products to use to protect the vehicle for the harsh winter months? The winters are very harsh here and this one might be very bad. It can get to -40 C or -40 F. Any suggestions?

13 answers to this question

Like the others have said... Machine Superwax, then good washings whenever possible, and Waterless Wash if/when appropriate for touchups. You also have to realize that in harsh winter conditions there's only so much you can do -- the car is going to get dirty. Just do what you can to keep harsh stuff and salt/chemicals off it, then give it a good detailing next spring. :cheers:

Little known fact that -40 is -40 C or F as the temperature scales converge at that point. That is nasty. I'd go with the MSW and follow up with a nice Paste Wax on top. After that get your self a nice big bottle of whiskey and/or bourbon and call it a winter and fix whatever needs fixing in the spring.

I thought Americana was supposed to last as long or longer than MSW?

I am currently contemplating this same situation, while winters in CO are not nearly as brutal, it is tough to reapply a wax in the middle of winter unless we get some of those 70 degree days - but those never seem to happen on weekends :willy:

I was hoping to apply 2-3 coats of americana to hopefully get me most of the way through winter...

I thought Americana was supposed to last as long or longer than MSW?

I am currently contemplating this same situation, while winters in CO are not nearly as brutal, it is tough to reapply a wax in the middle of winter unless we get some of those 70 degree days - but those never seem to happen on weekends :willy:

I was hoping to apply 2-3 coats of americana to hopefully get me most of the way through winter...

2 thin coats of americana is as durable as a single coat of MSW... but for the purposes of all out protection and giving no thought to appearance MSW is the way to go... who cares how deep your finish looks when its just gonna get pelted with road salt anyways??

2 thin coats of americana is as durable as a single coat of MSW... but for the purposes of all out protection and giving no thought to appearance MSW is the way to go... who cares how deep your finish looks when its just gonna get pelted with road salt anyways??

Exactly! Not really going for the all out good looks - just something durable to make it as far through winter as possible.

Thanks for the info!

Where is here? Because if it gets to -40 below anything, I sure don't want to be there. I will stay in sunny Florida thank you very much. Also detailing here is the same year round.

:pc:

Here is in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. Also thanks everyone for the great replies this will help me. I will get to the wax before it gets too cold.