Customer Service 866.965.0400

Product Shelf life

Memphis Senior

Question

I'm a snow bird and split my time between my homes in Tenn and the southern Calif desert.

Rather than haul my supplies 2K plus miles each way, every spring/fall.

I've decided it would be easier to keep a supply of Adam's products in each house.

My problem: I just returned to Calif after 6 mo in Tenn.

I had bottles of SHR, BW, MSW, DS and Metal polish #1 & #2 sitting in my metal storage shed all summer.

Temps here in the desert routinely get to 110+ and inside the shed are prob in excess of 140-150.

The BW had changed from a liquid to a pudding like substance. The DS, SHR and MSW all looked on the watery side.

The metal polishes seemed to have evaporated to the point where there is a thick substance with a clear liquid on top.

The metal polish bottles were more than 1/2 full when I left. There is perhaps i/4" or so left in the bottles now.

I gave all the bottles a good shake and they seem to be returning to their original state.

Are these products still good? Or do I need to replace them?

Should I give up on the idea of storing my products in the heat/cold

(I left the waxes in the unheated garage in Tenn) and start carrying a detail bag with me?

Thanks for the help.

16 answers to this question

I really wouldn't try using them now :(

We're talking about over $100 worth of products. All the bottles are almost new with maybe an oz. or so used out of each.

I'm retired and living on a fixed income. I can't afford to just toss that much away.

The truck is a D/D so I can live with a little less shine/pop.

If you don't have some place climate controlled for them I would start bringing them with you :2thumbs:

I guess I could put them in the house. I don't A/C my desert home when I'm not there. So it prob reaches 92-93.

I only heat my summer place in the winter to 45 or so to keep the pipes from freezing.

Taking the stuff with me when I drive would work, but not very practical when I fly.

140-150 I think will cook most of them. Got any pics?

Didn't think to take any before pics. However as I said the BW looked like a pudding or custard.

The others looked "watery" with some thicker stuff lying in the bottom. Like it had separated.

I shook them some and they seemed to be returning to original consistency.

I'm thinking of taping each bottle to my PC, setting it to 3,000 or so and turning the PC

on for 20-30 sec or so, and see what happens.

That reminds me...I need to bring mine in out of my Vette that is sitting in the garage.

The temps at night here have been going down into the 40s.

How is retired life Nick??? I can't wait to reach retirement. Some people say they will be bored but I am not thinking I will be. :D

How is retired life Nick??? I can't wait to reach retirement. Some people say they will be bored but I am not thinking I will be. :D

I can recommend it highly Teresa. :jester::):jester:

BORED? All I can say is it's a good thing I'm retired. I don't have time to work.

It took me 62 years to get here and I'm going to enjoy whatever additional time the good lord sees fit to give me.

It's so nice to wake up in the morning and say to myself. "Let's see. What shall I do today?

Play golf, go fishing, detail my truck :pc: or go to my daughters house and play with the grand kids.

Or shall I just be real lazy and lay by the pool all day?" :banana::lol::banana:

That's why I live in the southern Calif desert in the winter. Then go to Tenn for the summer.

Why not? Do you have any data or experience with this problem?

From Adam himself....

You guys are great! So, the official temperature range to keep products from separating, or changing color:

Minimum: 45 degrees

Maximum: 85 degrees

Chemicals hate temperature change, and the more often the temp changes, the faster the products will spoil.

We heat the products to get the color to remain consistent, as well as getting the surfactants to work, which keeps the products from separating. By heating the products to that temperature again, about 95+ degrees, they reverse, separate, or change color.

Keeping product in the trunk over summer is a great way for things to get ugly, unless stored in a bag or sealed bucket out of the sunlight.

If possible, it's best to put your car care products in the wash room in the winter and summer, if your garage reaches temperatures outside of the range above.

My advice: Buy car care products just like you buy bread!

Buy it fresh, and often. Chemicals age at 10X dog years! :willy: So, a bottle of polish or wax that is a year old, is really 70.

Don't buy more product than you will use in a year, as the possibility of extreme temperature change is always there. (Unless you live on the beach in San Diego.)

Another thing to consider: We improve 50% of our line every year, and 100% of it within 2 years. Do you want the old news?

Technology never stops, and today's, "BEST," is only the best for a few minutes, before something better is developed.

Plan on using everything up by the end of the year, and get fresh goods in February-March, as we almost always take the winter to develop new products.

So, that's my $.02 on keeping car care products! :patriot:

<!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________

Adam@AdamsPolishes.com

flag_usahome.gif

I only have ONE (1) car to care for. There is NO WAY I'm going to use 12 oz of products like

MSW, FMCP, BCW, BSG, SHR, L & IC, VRT and Revive in a year. If I went really crazy I might use 1/3 to 1/2 a bottle in a year.

At $20-25 a pop, I can't afford to throw away well over a $100 worth of product each year and replace them with fresh product.

Remember also that this is a DD and not a show car. So I can live with a little less POP. I just want it to look good.

I CAN see me using 12 oz or more of things like WCW, CWS, DS, APC and GWC.

Carrying all of my Adam's products, plus my PC, cross country twice a year would just NOT be an option when I fly.

Even when I drive, it means they would be in the bed of my truck for 6-7 days each way. (Being retired I travel at a VERY leisurely pace.)

The bed of course is not climate controlled like the cab and could easily exceed 95 degrees for hours at a time each day.

Now what? :help::help::help::help::help:

I only have ONE (1) car to care for. There is NO WAY I'm going to use 12 oz of products like

MSW, FMCP, BCW, BSG, SHR, L & IC, VRT and Revive in a year. If I went really crazy I might use 1/3 to 1/2 a bottle in a year.

At $20-25 a pop, I can't afford to throw away well over a $100 worth of product each year and replace them with fresh product.

Remember also that this is a DD and not a show car. So I can live with a little less POP. I just want it to look good.

I CAN see me using 12 oz or more of things like WCW, CWS, DS, APC and GWC.

Carrying all of my Adam's products, plus my PC, cross country twice a year would just NOT be an option when I fly.

Even when I drive, it means they would be in the bed of my truck for 6-7 days each way. (Being retired I travel at a VERY leisurely pace.)

The bed of course is not climate controlled like the cab and could easily exceed 95 degrees for hours at a time each day.

Now what? :help::help::help::help::help:

Then break your product up into smaller bottles and only carry half of the stuff with you. If you did that, Adam's entire collection would easily fit in one Adam's bag. Heck, you could even buy one of those food storage bags and keep the product inside it. They don't fluctuate as easily with temperature changes.

OK A.J. How does this sound for a plan? Since I heat my summer place in Tenn to 45-50 degrees

when I'm not there in the winter to keep the pipes from freezing.

And I don't A/C my Calif home in the summer when I'm not there, so it's possible the temps

in that house could get to slightly above 95 degrees.

I'll take all my stuff to Tenn and leave it there. Then I'll buy the Adam's "sampler kit."

That will give me six 4 oz bottles. Maybe if I talk real nice to Ashley,

she might be able to find me a few empty 4 oz bottles. ;);)

If she can't maybe I can find some 4 oz bottles at Wal-Mart or someplace like that.

When I leave Tenn for Calif, I'll fill the 4 oz bottles with all my various Adam's products.

I'm sure 4 oz will be more than enough to last me the 6 months I'm in Calif.

If not there are several dealers and the Adam's warehouse within 90 mins or overnight shipment.

What do you think? Good plan? Not? Did I miss anything?

See, we Air Force paratroopers can think for ourselves. (With a little help from the Marines of course. :D)

Edited by Memphis Senior

OK A.J. How does this sound for a plan? Since I heat my summer place in Tenn to 45-50 degrees

when I'm not there in the winter to keep the pipes from freezing.

And I don't A/C my Calif home in the summer when I'm not there, so it's possible the temps

in that house could get to slightly above 95 degrees.

I'll take all my stuff to Tenn and leave it there. Then I'll buy the Adam's "sampler kit."

That will give me six 4 oz bottles. Maybe if I talk real nice to Ashley,

she might be able to find me a few empty 4 oz bottles. ;);)

If she can't maybe I can find some 4 oz bottles at Wal-Mart or someplace like that.

When I leave Tenn for Calif, I'll fill the 4 oz bottles with all my various Adam's products.

I'm sure 4 oz will be more than enough to last me the 6 months I'm in Calif.

If not there are several dealers and the Adam's warehouse within 90 mins or overnight shipment.

What do you think? Good plan? Not? Did I miss anything?

See, we Air Force paratroopers can think for ourselves. (With a little help from the Marines of course. :D)

Your plan sounds fine and if you can't find any 4 ounce bottles, I have some I can send you. :thumbsup: