Customer Service 866.965.0400

PC 7427 ain't "cutting it" anymore

Krzdimond

Question

I have been using the PC for bout 3 years now, with great success. Problem is, I am now (and have for some time) getting customers that require more correction than the PC can handle. Yesterday I spent about 8 hours with various pads and products (polishes and compounds) to correct a black '04 Mercedes S class:mad: There HAS to be a better way! So, I started looking for another machine. This has gotten confusing. I was leaning towards the Flex 3401 VRG, but I am thinking that it is "just" a more powerful PC. I need something that can correct/level paint so I don't have to spend hours upon hours in vain with an underpowered/incorrect machine. And would like advice from someone that isn't "selling one":waxing:

So, is the 3401 "just" another PC, or is it REALLY a rotary with the safety of a DA? Should I get a rotary? Or will the 3401 work? I have a spare hood to practice on and I "learn fast":dance

9 answers to this question

The Flex is not just a more powerful PC. It is a significant upgrade. I moved up from a UDM 1.0 (faster PC) and it just took one panel to notice faster correction with a less aggressive pad and polish.

My recommendation is borrow one for a test panel or two and decide for yourself.

The Flex is worth every penny IMO. It can do rotary level correction. If you do want to go rotary though (which isn't a bad idea either) look at the Flex 3403 lightweight rotary.

Not only will you NOT be able to handle a rotary until you put a ton of hours under your belt with one, you'll probably end up paying to paint someone's car after you wipe the paint off the edge of a panel with one. The 3401XG is all you need, and it can still wipe the paint of an edge. If you manage to master it, then you can think about going to a rotary. You still won't be able to handle it, but you will at least have a healthy respect for the damage that it can do.

Be careful with this decision. There is a learning curve involved and you could end up sinking your business into debt if you screw up enough cars. You are NOT, and I repeat NOT ready for a rotary. Most people who use one that I've seen are not experienced enough to use one in a business, self company included. Most are hacks with a rotary.

THe Flex is a great machine as I own and use one. I also have several Rotaries .But as A.J. has stated a rotary is a big jump and reguardless of what you may hear there is a big learning curve with them . The Flex is a great in between and has more than enough power to handle just about any job .It to can do damage if not careful. Always have and maintain respect for the machine that you choose .Most of my jobs I use a combination of Flex and my 7424 XP . Also as A.J. always stresses.To do a test spot before you tackle and entire car .This way you can figure out what works then you can replicate it for the rest of the car.

Not only will you NOT be able to handle a rotary until you put a ton of hours under your belt with one, you'll probably end up paying to paint someone's car after you wipe the paint off the edge of a panel with one. The 3401XG is all you need, and it can still wipe the paint of an edge. If you manage to master it, then you can think about going to a rotary. You still won't be able to handle it, but you will at least have a healthy respect for the damage that it can do.

Be careful with this decision. There is a learning curve involved and you could end up sinking your business into debt if you screw up enough cars. You are NOT, and I repeat NOT ready for a rotary. Most people who use one that I've seen are not experienced enough to use one in a business, self company included. Most are hacks with a rotary.

Thanks, Junkman. Not to be facetious- by ANY stretch of the imagination, but isn't that what tape is for? I understand that there is a learning curve with a rotary, but if I don't start, I'll never learn.......

I'm thinking that the flex DA would be the next logical progression in tools and level of correction. I had to pass on a Mercury Grand Marque where the wife had used "an old pot scrubber" (HIS words, not mine) to remove tree sap because I KNEW the PC wouldn't fix it. Another customer, whose other car is a 70 Chevelle with slight 'orange peel', that he wants removed and he can't find anyone that willing to do it- outside of a body shop. This is the niche market that I am trying to get into. As my tagline reads "More than just a wash and wax". Now I just need to deliver;)

Robert

Thanks, Junkman. Not to be facetious- by ANY stretch of the imagination, but isn't that what tape is for? I understand that there is a learning curve with a rotary, but if I don't start, I'll never learn.......

I'm thinking that the flex DA would be the next logical progression in tools and level of correction. I had to pass on a Mercury Grand Marque where the wife had used "an old pot scrubber" (HIS words, not mine) to remove tree sap because I KNEW the PC wouldn't fix it. Another customer, whose other car is a 70 Chevelle with slight 'orange peel', that he wants removed and he can't find anyone that willing to do it- outside of a body shop. This is the niche market that I am trying to get into. As my tagline reads "More than just a wash and wax". Now I just need to deliver

Robert

I don't use tape for that reason as I don't want my panels trimmed in swirl marks. Also, I am able to tackle some serious scratches with the PC. It is all in the technique. Check out this thread (it will drop you in on page two).

Orange peel requires wet sanding. Talk about a working with a rope around your neck, that requires some serious experience, AND a paint thickness gauge (which are NOT cheap). The one for my car cost $2600! If you screw up a spot doing that, you have to repaint that panel. If that area is close to an edge, you will end up paying a pretty penny because multiple panels will have to be painted. That's why only the body shops will do it. That guy was looking for a sucker and you should thank your lucky stars that you didn't take that job. Do you realize how much work it is to block sand a car?

You couldn't pay me enough money to do it. Normally, the people who do it don't get paid enough if you ask me.