Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay Bar?

694doorbird

Question

This past Saturday I washed, clayed and waxed the Sable. The hood felt like it was 100 grit sand paper and wound up using almost a whole bottle of detail spray to keep the clay bar lubed. By the time I got to the back of the car, my clay was just falling apart in my hands. I wound up getting a new piece to finish. Does mean the bar was used up and ready to be thrown out?

10 answers to this question

Yeah I leave my clay in the Adams container and just spray a few shots of DS into it. I did my G8 yesterday is prep for the winter and was AMAZED by the amount of crap on it. Behind the wheels was STUPID bad. So I got it clayed and put a coat of SMW on it. My clay was perfect (albeit dirtier) when I was done.

Looked beautiful but I'm sure now it has a coat of dust on it... Ugh... Poor DD.

Chris

could mean a couple of things, but if it was crumbing and falling apart it may have become too contaminated. If that starts to happen spend a few minutes working the clay in your hands, stretch and smash it, twist and fold it, flatten it then fold it back in on itself. If after all that its still crumbling then its time to dispose of it and move on to a new bar.

could mean a couple of things, but if it was crumbing and falling apart it may have become too contaminated. If that starts to happen spend a few minutes working the clay in your hands, stretch and smash it, twist and fold it, flatten it then fold it back in on itself. If after all that its still crumbling then its time to dispose of it and move on to a new bar.

That's exactly what I wound up doing. When I did the hood of the Sable (first time in three years), it felt like 100 grit sandpaper. So, it may have been just used up doing that.

Could be that the car was just WAY overdue for a clay job. If you were using a small piece of clay on a really bad car, I wouldn't be surprised if it was shot by the time you were done, especially if its a bigger car.

I agree with everyone above - when in doubt, ditch the old piece and get a new one.

Oh, and don't use too much detail spray. I'm guilty of this one.

Could be that the car was just WAY overdue for a clay job. If you were using a small piece of clay on a really bad car, I wouldn't be surprised if it was shot by the time you were done, especially if its a bigger car.

I agree with everyone above - when in doubt, ditch the old piece and get a new one.

Oh, and don't use too much detail spray. I'm guilty of this one.

I'm pretty sure this is what happened. I've never felt the paint on any of my cars as bad as this was. Never again will I let this happen!! Good thing I have a 1/2 bar left and only one more car to do. I'll have to order another one soon.