Customer Service 866.965.0400

Can I use glass cleaner as window washer fluid?

NightMare Silverado

Question

24 answers to this question

I don't use the rain x because it makes my windshield wipers skip. Even the rain x treatment does that to ALL my cars in the past and present. I ONLY use non rain x WF but I DO buy the winter and summer stuff as it TOTALLY works.

Nice post dig. Funny should bring this up, I have been very happy with my current mix for washer fluid. 124oz of water 4oz of shampoo. My fleet van was out of fluid so I decided to mix up some shampoo and water.

It hasn't degraded the sealant, cleans really well, and smells great everytime I need the wipers! It does leave a bit of a film where the excess product builds up around the sides of the windsheild, but the pro's outweigh the cons... I'm really happy with the mixture.

Saddly that mixture here in good ol' upstate NY would mean on big block of great smelling ice in my washer container.:lolsmack:

Nice post dig. Funny should bring this up, I have been very happy with my current mix for washer fluid. 124oz of water 4oz of shampoo. My fleet van was out of fluid so I decided to mix up some shampoo and water.

It hasn't degraded the sealant, cleans really well, and smells great everytime I need the wipers! It does leave a bit of a film where the excess product builds up around the sides of the windsheild, but the pro's outweigh the cons... I'm really happy with the mixture.

The fluid that comes standard in most cars now is pretty mild... most of them are using Optikleen. Its biodegradable, no alcohol, no solvent, cleaner and really is the best choice for the application. I've tried Waterless (full strength and diluted) and our Glass Cleaner (full strength and diluted) neither has really worked all that well for me.

All my testing showed that the optikleen didn't degrade the sealant any faster than expected, at least not noticeably.

I normally use the RainX but I would hate for it to negativily impact the Adam's sealant.

that's why I thought about using the glass cleaner from Adam's b/c their products work hand-in-hand. I figure the cleaner may not eat away at the sealant as much as some other brands...if that makes any sense

I never had a problem with rainx winter either. The one I DID have trouble with was 15 years ago and PEAK made a winter fluid with ammonia in it. The car I had at the time was my maroon '86 hatchback cavalier.

I never was much for car cleaning then (paint was faded out when we got the car), but even then I noticed white spots all over the leading edge of the roof in front of the sunroof. In the car before that I learned the hard way to check the label for the freezing point of blue stuff.:o

I like the green bug formula, but usually wait till mid May to put it in.

The orange "winter" Rain-X brand W/W Solvent stained the hood on my wife's white Volvo XC 70. Had to use a clay bar to get it off! We just use the traditional blue stuff sparingly.

I don't use the rain x because it makes my windshield wipers skip. Even the rain x treatment does that to ALL my cars in the past and present. I ONLY use non rain x WF but I DO buy the winter and summer stuff as it TOTALLY works.

I have never had either one of those problems.

Eh I haven't added washer fluid to my car in 2+ years so I figure I'll make the next 2 years smell like lime:)

If it took to years to refill the reservoir, I would use regular glass cleaner.

We don't know how the under hood temperatures will affect the Adam's glass cleaner over a 2 year period.

Very, very expensive instead of using other brands intended for cleaning windshields

Which brings up the question:

What do you use for windshield fluid?

I like using the Rain X brand

I change over from orange (for melting away ice) to the green bug remover in the warmer month's

:iagree:Except, I use the orange year round. During the summer here, the washers are very rarely used. I can go almost a year on one refill of the reservoir.

Title says it all. I had to use my wipers today and since I have an extra gallon I thought of using it. So will their be any negatives to doing this?

Very, very expensive instead of using other brands intended for cleaning windshields

Which brings up the question:

What do you use for windshield fluid?

I like using the Rain X brand

I change over from orange (for melting away ice) to the green bug remover in the warmer month's

Archived