Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need Input/Suggestions

OIF Vet

I have been doing a lot of thinking this winter on what I need to do to black my truck out. I already have a powder coating shop lined up for my wheels. They are going to charge me $75 a wheel. I think that it's a pretty good price. As far as my chrome bumpers go, I was thinking about 2 options. First, take them in to get painted. Second, go the Line-X route. I think that the line-X will add a nice tough look to the bumpers. I still have to call around to get price quotes on getting the bumpers painted.

So if you have any suggestions or imput please let me know. Thanks.

Rob

Why not have your bumpers powder coated as well?

Something to consider though, the shinier the powder coating the easier it is to scratch and show the scratch. Like on a CC paint.

Now this because I use to do this on the side as well, And found this out the hard way.So i started powder coating and playing around with flat panels and would scratch them up and start wet sanding them, man did they have a ultra smooth finish and a shine that was as good as any show car paint!

Anyway, anyone can type what they have did or have done so here's a LT1 intake I powder coated for a buddy a couple years back, He wanted it to look like the corvettes intake so I sanded and polished the ribs out and of course powder coated it red and then just to add to the shine under the clear and to hel it stay that way for as long as he or anyone else for that matter had this intake LOL!!

This is after I chemically soaked and glass beaded and then a bake-off to make sure there is no trace of any grease-oil or grim

2280632280_eab7791cd2.jpg

And starting the process of polishing the ribs out. They look alright but had a little trouble after it came out of my oven. I had to resand and polish again but they came out much better.

2279843719_39b840ca22.jpg

Put this one in here because of the next pic and not confuse anyone. Since I had polish the ribs already I applied powder coating tape so as not to get any red powder on the ribs and other areas I didn't want it.

2279847031_98e738edab.jpg

Here's just out of my oven and letting it cool off very slow. No I do not cook anything it this oven it is just for powder coating with only!!!

2279852711_bf18ec8c72.jpg

And after it's cooled off and the tape removed.

2279854605_5edfd1e875.jpg

And talk about easy to keep clean, just use your favorite car wash soap and water. Another thing I used to keep powder coated parts clean with was glass cleaner. (in this case just use some adams glass cleaner or detail spray)

But powder coated parts are nice!:thumbsup:

Great pictures Daniel. I've heard some bad things from people concerning the bumpers being powder coated. Is it easy to chip? If so, how hard is it to fit them? Since you do it on the side, is $75 each a good price for the wheels? Also, what should I be looking at for the bumpers (ball park figure)? Thanks.

Rob

:patriot:

I still have to call around to get price quotes on getting the bumpers painted.

So if you have any suggestions or imput please let me know. Thanks.

Rob

Do you want them shiny or just black? I have thinking of doing the same thing to my truck, but am considering 'wrapping' the bumpers, grill, and tailgate insert. If I sell the truck the wrap could be removed.

I didn't do my bumpers, but I did the LineX idea on my body panels (below the molding line). For a vehicle that gets off road time - I'd highly recommend it! You can get it textured or smooth and practically any color you'd like. I had mine red to blend in but black would've looked nice with my accents.

Rob Since your said you are wanting an all black look on your truck. I would probably do the Line-X on the bumpers. It is going to take more to scratch/chip the Line-X than paint. My car came with a painted bumper and you would not believe the chips in the paint.

My secretary had the rims on her car powder coated and they look great.

Archived