Customer Service 866.965.0400

Using the Porter Cable on corners?

Darth_Emma

Question

I've watched all of Adam's and all of the Junkman's videos about polishing cars with the Porter Cable. I notice that in the videos they are using the PC on the large flat sections of the cars. I'm sure it is easier to use those areas for demonstration purposes in a video.

I am wondering about using the PC on the corners and smaller areas of the car. For example, on the spoiler, the quarter panels around the wheels, or around the edges of the bumper. On the of my Camaro there is no way that I can place the entire Porter Cable pad flat on the spoiler - only a portion of the pad will be in contact with the paint at any time. I have also heard that by using a machine to polish around the corners that I might burn through my paint.

I have a brand new Camaro and I do not want to mess up the paint on it (obviously!). Can anyone tell me what the proper technique is to polish the smaller areas and corners of the car? Should I even use the Porter Cable in those areas or should I use the "Adam's flip pad 2-sided hand applicator"

(shown here: http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-483-adams-flip-pad-2-sided-applicator.aspx) on those areas.

Thanks for your help.

17 answers to this question

I just watched the Junkman's videos that demonstrate how safe the PC is for noobies. I think he answered my question - I can use the PC all over the car with no fear. I will try it with the large pads to start with and buy a set of small ones if I need them. Thanks all.

How did this work out for you when you used the big pads?

But you didn't have any problems using the PC on the edges, spoiler etc...

I used the little pads in a few places, but I only did that to try them out. I really think I could have done everything just fine with the larger pads. If there were any small areas I missed, I used a hand applicator to get into those. It was easy!

It went fine. Like Adam suggested, I just used the VRT on the trim before I polished and waxed. It really makes it easier to wipe off anything that gets on the trim afteward.

But you didn't have any problems using the PC on the edges, spoiler etc...

I just watched the Junkman's videos that demonstrate how safe the PC is for noobies. I think he answered my question - I can use the PC all over the car with no fear. I will try it with the large pads to start with and buy a set of small ones if I need them. Thanks all.

I do the whole truck with the large pads. The only thing I have used the 4" pads for was for waterspots on the wife's sunroof and a bird poop stain on the front bumper. The 4" pad in a drill definitely heats up compared to when they are installed on the PC. Just be careful and check the pad frequently.

Yes, I've watched it twice in fact. I notice Adam says not to use the drill on the corners or you could burn through your paint. I assume that is only with the drill and that using the spot pads with the PC would be okay in those areas.

Ok, reality time though, do you guys really swap to the smaller pads to polish the small areas? Or do you just go over those areas at lower RPM with the larger pads on the PC perhaps at lower setting? Better question yet is, am I worrying about nothing? My husband says I do that sometimes! ;)

YES!! The PC won't generate the heat a drill can (random orbital vs. rotary). I switch to the 4" pads and use them with the PC on the front of my Camaro under the lights (pretty much the whole front end) and around the license plate in the back. The rest of the car gets the large pad and PC. Hope that helps. Haven't needed to use the 4" and a drill yet

Yes, I've watched it twice in fact. I notice Adam says not to use the drill on the corners or you could burn through your paint. I assume that is only with the drill and that using the spot pads with the PC would be okay in those areas.

Ok, reality time though, do you guys really swap to the smaller pads to polish the small areas? Or do you just go over those areas at lower RPM with the larger pads on the PC perhaps at lower setting? Better question yet is, am I worrying about nothing? My husband says I do that sometimes! ;)

Archived