Customer Service 866.965.0400

Using the PC is worrying me

DanZr10

Question

So I ordered the PC kit and was very excited until i actually used it, I started with shr on a orange pad on my hood bc it was swirl city and after doing it just like junkman showed me in the videos, and as i was going to start the next section, i looked at the pad and it was completely blue which is the color of my car, so i freaked out and wipe off the residue and the paint looked fine compared to the rest of the hood but right now i very worried someone help :help:

16 answers to this question

If you got blue on your pad that easy you can not have clearcoat:willy:

:iagree: Did you buy the car used? Has it been in an accident, and the body shop didn't put down a clear coat? I would do some additional research. I've learned that poking around online can yield some conflicting results.

I had an issue with the finish of my wheels, and the correct answer was nowhere to be found online. Everything I found was either incorrect or not entirely correct, so you may want to dig a little deeper.

new member here trying to learn how to polish however i do work in a body shop and i am familiar with paint. i wonder if this is a possibility. SHR takes off a fine fine fine layer or clear correct? ok so maybe you have a 3 stage paint. a body shope would fix as base, tint coat, then clear. however factory would put the tint in the clear making it a 2stage paint job. i know they do this with the trailblazer, enclave etc red jewel color. they put the tint in the clear there for when you sand it you see pink powder on the sand paper instead of white. maybe since the tint is mixed into the clear your just seeing that fine fine amount of clear that it is taking off because its colored...make sense?

First, welcome to Adam's Forums. You should introduce yourself in the newbie area. :hi:

Next, yes... SHR does shave the clear coat ever so slightly but that is do to the lack of aggressiveness of the PC. On a rotary, SHR could get pretty wicked and shave off much more clear.

I don't know if that is your only question but these videos should answer your questions if you are wanting to know about the order that the paint correction products are used in and what they do.

new member here trying to learn how to polish however i do work in a body shop and i am familiar with paint. i wonder if this is a possibility. SHR takes off a fine fine fine layer or clear correct? ok so maybe you have a 3 stage paint. a body shope would fix as base, tint coat, then clear. however factory would put the tint in the clear making it a 2stage paint job. i know they do this with the trailblazer, enclave etc red jewel color. they put the tint in the clear there for when you sand it you see pink powder on the sand paper instead of white. maybe since the tint is mixed into the clear your just seeing that fine fine amount of clear that it is taking off because its colored...make sense?

Hey guys before you get all wrapped up on this Toyota does indeed still use sing stage paint on some cars and some colors. Some cars can be clearcoated in some colors but not others. It also depends on which factory built the car. If the car is built in 2 different locations they can each be different due to laws concerning paint and paint emissions.

Look at this thread: http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5550

On Tundra trucks generally solid colors are single stage and metallics are dual stage or BC/CC.

I think you are fine, but if still worried take a white cloth with some SHR and rub on the inside of a panel in a place that is obvious from the factory like the door jam right next to the manufacturers weight sticker and tire inflation specs. Check in a few areas if you want. I'd bet a weeks pay you have SS paint and are fine.

Awesome info... just goes to show that you learn something new everyday. :thumbsup:

Hey guys before you get all wrapped up on this Toyota does indeed still use sing stage paint on some cars and some colors. Some cars can be clearcoated in some colors but not others. It also depends on which factory built the car. If the car is built in 2 different locations they can each be different due to laws concerning paint and paint emissions.

On Tundra trucks generally solid colors are single stage and metallics are dual stage or BC/CC.

I think you are fine, but if still worried take a white cloth with some SHR and rub on the inside of a panel in a place that is obvious from the factory like the door jam right next to the manufacturers weight sticker and tire inflation specs. Check in a few areas if you want. I'd bet a weeks pay you have SS paint and are fine.

:iagree: ... 100%.

There is no way that you are going to rub through the clear coat and into the paint if there actually was clear on the car. I've done a few cars that were single stage and if the paint was thin anywhere, you could actually see it. I don't think you have anything to worry about. The PC and SHR ain't gonna remove a whole lot of anything fast. Just take your time and use a setting of 5 with 9-14 pounds of pressure. Follow it with FMP and the white pad and your damage should be gone.

The good thing about single stage paint is it is much easier to fix.

My wife had a matrix up until last year and I can verify that yes you most definitely have a clear coat, but if you're getting pigment in your pad that seems like it might not be factory paint. Did you buy the car used? If so have you run a carfax to find out if it was involved in a collision/potentially repainted??

There is absolutely no way the pigment can come up unless the clear is gone so figuring out what happend to your clear coat might be the first thing to do.

Archived