Customer Service 866.965.0400

Toyota Clearcoat???

Chris@Adams

Question

15 answers to this question

I have a 2002 Toyota Higlander. How do I know if it's been clear coated? (it's my DD and gross right now, but I'll be detailing it in the spring)

Hey Terri

To tell if your paint or any other is clear coated or not is use some cleaner (SHR) or a cleaner/wax and use a micro-fiber or terry towel and apply a little product on the surface or your towel and rub it in for a few seconds and then check your towel.

This is another of the reasons why cleaner/wax is good, because you can check your paint or if your like me when I go get test hoods at junk yards when I'm after a single stage or clear coat black hood I just get out my tin of cleaner/wax paste and a terry towle and know which is which.

Now if you see your paint on your towel (don't be alarmed it's just old dead oxidized paint)then you have a single stage paint, but if you don't see any paint it's a clear coat.

Just remember that if your paint is white then use a darker colored towel and ofcourse if you have a dark colored paint then use a white towel to help show the pigment of the paint or clear.

Hope that's helped

By the way like the camaro:2thumbs:

It is probably cheaper not to clear coat, and a lot of Toyota's never get any real care. As it has been said many people treat them as appliances. It is probably a good place to save money so they can design other things, like gas pedals. :lol:

Apparently they didn't even do that right.Even though I still think its a software issue.Which time will tell.

Okay, my Toyota forum had this TSB. If you look at it closely you will see my color 040 as not one of the scratch and acid resistant paints. I know mine is also single stage paint. So I am going to assume that code 056 and 068 are also SS paint. Read the note on refinishing at the bottom, it implies to me that 202 black is also SS paint, when refinishing you need to shoot a clear over it to get a better finish. I think this is due to paint shops will not get the same finish out of SS paint that Toyota does so it requires a clear to get the luster. Now just because I found 3 codes I think are SS paint, I think there are more as I have been told by other Tundra owners that on Tundras if it is not metallic paint it is single stage.

Also, although this is a '07 message, Toyota tends to keep their colors for years when they are popular.

Archived