Customer Service 866.965.0400

New car. Do I need a PC?

Darth_Emma

Question

Let me start this with my usual "I'm a detail noobie, so I need your advice."

I just got a new Camaro 3 weeks ago and it's been in the garage since I bought it. I am getting ready to buy my detailing supplies for it (of course I'm buying it all from Adam's!). Anyway, I have started assembling my wishlist and it's getting a bit pricey to get all the goodies I would like to have. My question is this, should I get a Porter Cable for a brand new car? It doesn't have paint problems. I will wash and clay the car first. But, am I wasting my money to get a PC or will hand polishing and waxing do just as good a job on a new car? I've never done serious detailing before, so I thought I'd ask you very knowledgeable folks. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Darth_Emma

17 answers to this question

I used my PC on a brand new (18 miles) car, and saw a measurable improvement. I'm sure you'd see vast improvements by hand as well though, just from the products doing there thing. If you can swing it, get the PC. I've never seen a negative comment about them. Maybe hold off on some products, start with the necessities?

Let me start this with my usual "I"m a detail noobie, so I need your advice.

I just got a new Camaro 3 weeks ago and it's been in the garage since I bought it. I am getting ready to buy my detailing supplies for it (of course I'm buying it all from Adam's!). Anyway, I have started assembling my wishlist and it's getting a bit pricey to get all the goodies I would like to have. My question is this, should I get a Porter Cable for a brand new car? It doesn't have paint problems. I will wash and clay the car first. But, am I wasting my money to get a PC or will hand polishing and waxing do just as good a job on a new car? I've never done serious detailing before, so I thought I'd ask you very knowledgeable folks. Thanks for your help.

Just depends how bad the swirls are. IF they are micro you can handle it by hand. If not a pc is in order.

you dont "need" any of it but you can definitely polish a new car into shineworld. I say if you want it get it it seems expensive but if you detail the car 5x it will pay for itself compared to 65$ at a "detailer" you can also do your DD, boyfriend/husbands car ect. I really enjoy getting down and detailing for 8-10 hrs on a day off so its something to do as a hobby too.

PC! PC! PC! If the finish is completely and absolutely without flaw - by hand would be all we would ever need. But, we're talking about a factory, mass produced finish........the PC WILL help perfect the "look" with each use.

Get the PC and set yourself apart from the masses!!!

Just depends how bad the swirls are. IF they are micro you can handle it by hand. If not a pc is in order.

Well put Jesse, and I agree! Sometimes, a dealership doesn't swirl a car to death before they get it to you. It's rare, but I've heard of people taking delivery of swirl free cars.

If you are one of those lucky people, then go for the hand goods!

Thanks either way, and we are here to answer any questions, so fire away!:thumbsup:

Adam and others:

Thanks for your thoughtful responses. Based on what I've read here, I think I'll go for the PC. My 2002 Toyota Highlander has never been properly detailed, so it could certainly use it. Also, I want to make my new Camaro stand out. To me, the Camaro is not just a car, but a lifelong dream (well at least since I was 16) come true.

I will be ordering the Adam's Premium Kit this weekend. What the heck, I might as well just get everything in that kit and be ready to tackle any job.

Thanks again, everyone.

I would go with the PC if you can swing it. If you don't get it now and are already planning on getting one, chances are you'll get it later down the road. I think it will be a definite plus for your Toyota. I did my cars by hand for many years. When I finally made the jump to the PC, I couldn't believe I hadn't done it sooner. I have a new car on the way, and I will be using my PC on it. Either way, I think you should be fine.:cheers:

Edited by Daytona Blue Z

Adam and others:

Thanks for your thoughtful responses. Based on what I've read here, I think I'll go for the PC. My 2002 Toyota Highlander has never been properly detailed, so it could certainly use it. Also, I want to make my new Camaro stand out. To me, the Camaro is not just a car, but a lifelong dream (well at least since I was 16) come true.

I will be ordering the Adam's Premium Kit this weekend. What the heck, I might as well just get everything in that kit and be ready to tackle any job.

Thanks again, everyone.

Can't go wrong with that kit.

My brother got the same car as yours only yellow with black stripes. Post up some more pics of that Camaro. Don't think I've seen a gray one yet.:thumbsup:

Do the baggie test on your 02 after you wash and dry it, and that will let you know what is necessary. Next you will probably want more clay after you do your 02, especially if you drop it like I did! Whoops! :)

I found that the clay bar process (with Detail Spray as a clay lube) was the single best thing I did to help the finish. It is amazing how much better the finish feels and looks after completing the clay bar process. And then working out the swirls etc. is the next even better improvement. This stuff just works. :thumbsup:

And then after the 02, you can take a look at that nice Camaro..

I also believe that getting the finished in good shape (after clay, SHR, FMP) and waxed really helps the ongoing maintenance. The bird poo and dirt come off really easily then, at least in my opinion. I am all for getting mine in good shape so the ongoing maintenance is easy.