Customer Service 866.965.0400

Official Tint Thread : post pics

6spdg37s

So the most common "mod" people do to their car is tints...

IMO it makes the car. I figured heres a nice little thread you can keep moving with tint pics, info, and questions... :hi:

heres my g37s with 15% all around and 30% windshield:

IMG_1527.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMTctMjAxMDAyMTYtMTMyO.jpg

heres my 750Li with 15% all around and 30% windshield

bmwwindshield.jpg

for anyone in the metro ny/nj area:

i get all my tints done at : www.tireempire.com

Wil Johns Tire Empire

2044 Hylan Blvd

Staten Island, NY 10306

and/or

Island Sound Audio

3735 Victory Boulevard

STATEN ISLAND, NY 10314

(718) 370-1100

they both do so much business that your car is tinted in like 30 mins.. for cheap, its computer cut with a life time warranty.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So they just made tint legal in Illinois a few months ago so I really don't know much about it. So I have a dumb question, how does it effect night time driving? I live in the deer capitol of the world and great visibility at night is a must. Does tint make it harder to see at night? Keep in mind I live in a rural area so we don't have a lot of street lights and things.

So they just made tint legal in Illinois a few months ago so I really don't know much about it. So I have a dumb question, how does it effect night time driving? I live in the deer capitol of the world and great visibility at night is a must. Does tint make it harder to see at night? Keep in mind I live in a rural area so we don't have a lot of street lights and things.

more street lights equal easier to see clearly.

the percentage represents VLT visible light transmission ( i believe) the higher the percent the more light that passes thru. generally tint shops will offer

50,35, 30, 20, 15, 5 ,2 %'s

i live in suburbs and city so regardless i have decent amount of light i can see completely fine out of 15% and 30 % on my windshield. however, I used to have 5 % 3 cars ago and it was hard to see in suburbs and the city was fine...

your eyes also adjust. so after a few weeks you will see better than you did originally. 35% is a safe bet... JJ1087 has that..pics are somewhere on here I am sure..

Here you go......Illinois Window Tint Law - TintCenter.com

These are the only pics I have of my car with tints. Like I said, I have 30% all around (Except windshield - only dummies tint their windshields :willy:) If I could to do it again, I would go with 20%. 30% is a bit too light from time to time.

DSC00622.jpg

DSC00623.jpg

I know nothing about window tinting. Living in the southern Calif desert many of my neighbors have done this to their cars/trucks. My ex had it done to the back window of her Honda. Judging from how dark it was I would guess it was between 5 and 10%. When I asked her why she did it? She said "all my friends are having it done." About what I expected. In her defense that's the same answer I get from most of my neighbors when asked the same question. In my book, not the best reason for doing something. I've driven her car a few times and I didn't care for it. I couldn't see a thing in low light situations. Overcast day, rain, fog, etc. The rear view mirror inside the car was useless. I had to depend completely on the side view mirrors.

So I went on line and found the following. Just wondering. How much is true. That is, it blocks UV rays, keeps the interior cooler, etc., etc. and how much is just hype. Can anyone refer me to a web site that has "PROOF" that this stuff does what they say it does and isn't just a sales pitch. (See the red highlighted below. Is that FACT or just Snake Oil?) I'm more interested in actual performance rather than just "Looks." Looks being such a subjective thing. What looks good to you may or may not look good to me.

"Window films are offered in several different percentages of light transmission. These films help protect you in several different ways; they help protect you by blocking 99% of damaging ultraviolet sun rays, this protects you and the interior of your car. Window films will also help protect you in the case of an accident by bonding to the window--this will help prevent the shards of shattering safety glass from flying across the car during an accident. Films also enhance the appearance of the vehicle by giving it the custom look that sets your vehicle apart from everyone else on the road. It also helps protect your privacy, and helps conceal your valuables from thieves. Lifetime warranties are available on some automotive window films.

Huper Optic ceramic window films. These extremely high end films are more durable than conventional films, have superior clarity, and use nano ceramic technology. This technology means that all of the particles in the films are atom-fine. Ceramic films are 100% dye free and 100% metal free. The heat rejection they offer is greater than that of metalized films. Ceramic films offer maximum efficiency for reduced energy costs. These films are used worldwide, and offer the industries leading warranty. The end result is a high performance product that has its claims to being the first and the premium in the film industry. These films will not interfere with navigation systems, GPS systems, or radio reception in vehicles."

Thanks for any help guys.

Archived