Customer Service 866.965.0400

Whats a good stereo?

ExpressThis13

I know I said I dont like alpine but I decided to look anyway and I came across the CDA 105 and have been reading reviews about it and watching videos on youtube and it seems like a really nice unit for 200 bucks off of crutchfield with a free ipod cable and shipping :). The other thing I really like is its all flip down and u can change the display colors which is nice because pontiacs all red on the inside so I didnt want bright blue with red dash lights. I think I may have just found my headunit. Thanks for all the advise everyone and if I do go alpine I like keeping the same system all around so I would want alpine speakers as well so whats good speakers. I have no idea about the difference between the type s and type r speakers and all that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Eric.

My suggestion is to go to a store that has an audio section. Best Buy or something like that. Everyones hearing is unique.

What sounds good to me, may not sound good to you. Listen to several HU's and see if they sound good to you and

have the features you want. Also look at things like, are the preset buttons to small to use with gloves on if you drive with gloves.

Does the layout work for you or does it seem confusing to use. Remember you'll be trying to change things while

driving 60-70 -80 mph down the interstate. You don't want something that's going to divert your attention from the road

for more than a second or so. Same advice for the speakers. Listen to several different brands.

Also different models within the same brand. Then pick the units that sound good to YOU.

I know you don't want to go crazy price wise, however a decent setup won't be cheap.

For a decent HU Plan on $100 plus/minus $20. I'm partial to Pioneer, but that's just my opinion.

You can spend more but then you'll be paying for Bells & Whistles you may or may not want/use. Your choice.

Door speakers: A Decent pair can be had for as little as $50. Good ones will run you $100 or more for 2 or 3 way speakers.

GOOD component speakers with separate tweeters will set you back $100-200 per pair.

Subwoofers: Plan on about $100 EACH for subs. You can get them cheaper, but you won't be happy with them.

Speaker wires: Don't forget good speakers depend on good wiring. Plan on anywhere from $35 to $100 or more PER KIT,

Depending on what you end up with you might need 2 or 3 kits. Follow the manufactures recommendations for gauge.

Amplifiers: These will set you back about $125 each. Really good ones $200 to $250.

Some guys will run 1 amp to each sub, plus 1 to the door speakers,

total of 3. You can also go with 1 for the sub or subs and one to the door speakers. Least expensive way to go is 1 for the

sub or subs and use the one in the radio to drive the door speakers. Up to you.

Just remember to MATCH the speakers to the amps. If you're trying to drive a speaker that can handle 300 watts,

with an amp that only puts out 100 watts, you're not going to get the performance the speaker is capable of.

This is what I started with 8 years ago. One 10" JL with an MTX amp. driving it.

The box above the speaker is a CD changer. No longer necessary if your HU accepts I-pods.

(BTW- NOT all I-pods work with all HU that say "I-pod compatible."

If you have one, make sure the HU you're planing to buy will work with YOUR I-pod.)

I had 4 Kenwood 2 way speakers in the doors and a Kenwood HU at the time.

I used the HU to drive the door speakers. This setup cost me about $400 total including the wires

but not the cost of materials to build the speaker box and cover it.

A very adequate setup for most people. NOT GREAT but most people would be happy with it.

10JLMTXampKenwood6changer.jpg

After several years I outgrew the above set up and went to this.

Two 10" Infinity subs in a custom made box. (My room mate made if for me) The box is upside down.

The speakers now fire at the floor. I did this because ALL of my passengers complained

about the vibrations from the sub in the original set up.

It was like having a small child constantly kicking the back of the seat according to them.

A side benefit is they sound better (IMO) this way. The sound hits the floor,

then resonates throughout the cab. I'm no expert, just my opinion.

SpeakerBoxCovered.jpg

This is the box installed. Subs are out of sight and fire at the floor. One amp on each end.

I have a 12 CD changer in the middle which I no longer use. I've got the I-pod hooked up now.

(If anyone is interested I'll let the changer go for cheap.

That includes 3 extra 12 CD magazines. Used less than a year.)

Interior3.jpg

This is my Pioneer HU. The AVIC-N4. According to the owners manual it not just a radio.

It's a "DVD-MULTIMEDIA-AV NAVIGATION SERVER." :confused:

All I wanted was a HU that had GPS that would fit my truck.

Interior7.jpg

Interior6-1.jpg

I have Infinity component speakers in the front doors and Infinity 2 ways in the rear.

I also used Infinity amps (2). One for the subs and another for the door speakers.

I wanted something with a little more thump. Total cost about $2400 including HU.

That does NOT include the material for the custom made box and materials to cover it.

Also doesn't include $1,000 plus for sound deadening you can't see, but definitely makes a difference in the sound.

Also I did all then installation myself. If you're having a shop do it for you, add 20-30% to the cost.

DSCN1375.jpg

Hope that helped and didn't confuse you to much.

Be VERY careful Eric. It can become a sickness very easily.

:help::help::help::help::help:

I want to get a aftermarket stereo for my GP because my factory one is skipping and I don't know why but its getting very aggravating and plus the fact that I cant listen to my ITouch on it because of no way to plug it in. I dont like alpine at all but what im thinking is pioneer or pioneer premier but im not big on car stereos so I figure maybe someone here could shed some light on this subject for me. I also want some subs for my GP but dont want to drop 600 bucks to do it either. Help me out and point me in the right direction.

1. I do like fancy Headunits with moving displays

2. I dont want to wake up the whole neighborhood with stupid *** bass

3. Keep a decent budget. Im not trying to get all this for 200 bucks but I dont want to spend a thousand either.

I'd go to Automotive Innovations and tell them exactly what you want. They're the only ones I would trust locally with my cars.

They sell nothing but good equipment.

Chris

Man, Domenick, that's some impressive stuff. :thumbsup:

Thanks Rich, and all my friends call me Nick.

This is the truck I wanted 55 years ago when I was in high school but couldn't afford.

Then I wanted to build it for my son when he was in high school.

But the mortgage, food, family needs, collage funds, life had to come first.

So my son never got the cool truck either. Do you kids still say "cool?"

Now that I'm retired and have both the time and the money, I decided my grandson and namesake,

was going to have the cool truck my son and I never did when he goes to high school.

I told my daughter if I live long enough he's going to get a truck that cost $250K for his 16th birthday. :banana:

Hopefully it will be the coolest one in his high school parking lot. :glasses: Of course I get to drive it until then.

Oh BTW, he just turned 4 last month. :burnout:

I'd go to Automotive Innovations and tell them exactly what you want. They're the only ones I would trust locally with my cars.

They sell nothing but good equipment.

Chris

I plan to go hit those guys up this weekend and see what I can get. Im gonna hit em up for some rims to.

I plan to go hit those guys up this weekend and see what I can get. Im gonna hit em up for some rims to.

Ask for Michael... Tell him Chris with the Black G8 sent you... He'll add 10% to the price... lol :D

He's a good guy.

Chris

• 2 months later...

I got a cheapy Kenwood with 2 front speakers (never installed them as yet) for $110 awhile ago. While the oem was okay, discs were not reading like they should and we wanted to be able to plug in mp3 player.

Sucks that GM thought it necessary to incorporate some aspects into the oem radio. I threw it out as it wasn't working well anymore any way. I used to go on a car owners site and their trunks were FILLED with one speaker box. That never made sense to me. I would rather spend the money on a decent unit and speakers but where they would not need any modifications.

Archived