Customer Service 866.965.0400

I love my mac...

Team Adam's

I'm computer "challenged." Thankfully my dad got me into Mac's in 87. They were called Apples back then.

Ordered my first Apple (think it was a II-E) with 2 MEGS of memory. That was an extra cost option, 1 meg was standard.

Dad told me I was crazy and I would NEVER need that much memory. :D:lolsmack::D

For the guys that complain about the cost of a Mac. Think I paid just shy of $5K for that II-e

My ONLY complaint with them is there is nowhere a non-computer person go and get training. I tried joining a few local MAC clubs,

but they are all geeks (I mean that in a nice way) that only talk puter-speak.

Within 30 seconds they lose me. I don't know the diff between a USB and an optical drive.

I still have an I-Mac and Mac book 20+ years later. If they wern't so easy to use, I'd go back to a yellow pad and a # 2 pencil.

You'd be a prime candidate to attend one-on-one training at an apple store. Not sure what they charge, but you bring your actual computer with you, they setup a work station and go thru the different programs. You can sign up for a focus on digital photography programs, video editing, general how to stuff, etc. We did this for my wife when we first switched and after 2 one hour sessions she was practically an expert.

You'd be a prime candidate to attend one-on-one training at an apple store. Not sure what they charge, but you bring your actual computer with you, they setup a work station and go thru the different programs. You can sign up for a focus on digital photography programs, video editing, general how to stuff, etc. We did this for my wife when we first switched and after 2 one hour sessions she was practically an expert.

Thanks Dylan. I'll have to check into that.

So a few years ago I got fed up with my PC commiting suicide. It wasn't like I had cheap machines either, my father in law custom builds super high performance PC's as a hobby and has for years. They were awesome units, but a few years in without fail something would go wrong and I'd lose info or be down for a week while he replaced a board, etc.

Anyhoo... I'll get off my Mac soapbox... do we have any other apple fans in the building? :hi:

Once you go Mac, you never go back. :glasses:

I write Mac and iPhone software for a living, so I'm pulling the bandwagon, not just on it. :) I'm a longtime user too, I've been using them since the System 6 days.

I'd also recommend checking out the Missing Manual series. The main one to look at is "Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual" but they also have books in the series on more specific topics like iPhoto if you want that too.

Also, if you have a Mobile Me account, check out the tutorial section on the website. They used to have up some nice video tutorials.

I'd also recommend checking out the Missing Manual series. The main one to look at is "Mac OS X Snow Leopard: The Missing Manual" but they also have books in the series on more specific topics like iPhoto if you want that too.

That title makes me chuckle because that is one of the gripes I have with ALL apple products; there are absolutely no manuals to anything when you purchase any Apple product. Granted most stuff is very self explanatory but not all.

Scott Kelby's 'Mac OSX book' and 'Killer Tips' book are both great as well for the convert.

The only things I dislike about my MAC is the fact there's no Active-X controls, so I can't view my security camera system for my house on my computer. And I don't like that I can't buy a computer game and play it on the MAC. But other than that, I love it!

I purchased a 27in iMac about two months ago and love it :grouphug:

I looked at a lot of programs to help run some windows software/games on the Mac and the easiest to use/most cost effective solution was http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

So a few years ago I got fed up with my PC commiting suicide. It wasn't like I had cheap machines either, my father in law custom builds super high performance PC's as a hobby and has for years. They were awesome units, but a few years in without fail something would go wrong and I'd lose info or be down for a week while he replaced a board, etc.

I picked up a 24" Imac and have been in love with it, so much so that a couple of months ago I picked up a macbook which has also been a dream to use.

My one complaint has been the wireless "mighty mouse" that came with my imac... the little scroll ball would get glitchy and have issues. I got to a point where I was so fed up yesterday I went in and got the new wireless "Magic Mouse" I love it... the whole mouse is a touch multitouch panel so rather than moving a scroll wheel or a track ball you simply swipe your fingers over the surface. It even has momentum so if you swipe hard and fast the screen continues to roll.

http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgraF477ieU

Anyhoo... I'll get off my Mac soapbox... do we have any other apple fans in the building? :hi:

I love my Macs... The roller ball issue is TOTALLY the norm and blowing it out helps but I binned it and got a Bluetooth MS one made for the Macs. Works well too. The magic mouse is really cool as well but I already have the continuos scroll mod added to my mac so I decided against it.

At work I have Parallels 5.0 installed with Windows 7. Amazing I can have the best of both worlds...

My Apple count is 6 so far with Apple TV coming soon

LOL... let the mac love fest continue... after much debate and the fact I'll be building a new network whenever we move into the new house I went out and bought myself a 2TB Time Capsule :D

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC343/Time-Capsule-1TB?mco=MTY5NjUyMDY

You'll love the Time Capsule, the thing is amazing !!!!!

Agreed! Works like a dream! :banana:

You don't need the Apple unit to do it though. You can hook up a regular HD to your wireless router in most cases.

Chris

LOL... let the mac love fest continue... after much debate and the fact I'll be building a new network whenever we move into the new house I went out and bought myself a 2TB Time Capsule :D

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC343/Time-Capsule-1TB?mco=MTY5NjUyMDY

I heard the majority of people were getting an 18-20 month life span out of these? Anyone have any positive or negative experiences?

I heard the majority of people were getting an 18-20 month life span out of these? Anyone have any positive or negative experiences?

Theres been mixed reviews. I talked to a friend who has had one for a long time (about 2 years) and he hasn't had any issues. I figure it is only a backup and with my applecare plan I get 3 years of coverage. Even if it does fail I'll have everything still on my imac and macbook so unless I have the most unlucky day ever and all 3 devices fail at once I should be good.

The widest reported issue with the TC has been related to the power supply, luckily that doesn't impact memory and worst case you take it to the apple store and have it back in a few days, data intact.

i was just looking into the software where you can run windows on your mac as well...

If you haven't seen it yet, check out Virtual Box. It's a Windows emulation app similar to Parallels and VMWare Fusion, but it's free. You still have to own a copy of Windows though like you do with the other 2, so there is some cost to get started if you don't have a copy of Windows laying around.

There are a few bells and whistles missing from the pay solutions, but it works well if you just need it for some occasional light use. I use it for testing one of my Windows ports and it handles that perfectly. If you want to use it for games or something else that needs 3D graphics, like a modeler, then you need one of the other two products.

Archived