Customer Service 866.965.0400

questions that i hope you guys can answer

03silvss

Question

so first of all i just have a basic question, if a customer doesnt want paint correction but still wants a coat of wax should you still clay the whole vehicle before applying?

second im wondering how the guys who are running detailing shops make money, if you were fast and good at what you do you might be able to do a car in half day (7-12:30) so how would you be making money on a few cars a day, if you had other employees you would be doing more cars but would have to pay there salaries, theres also heating, power, and payments on a building. so tell me guys how do you make a living at it.

8 answers to this question

When I bill customers it is per the service performed. If your customer wants to pay for clay, then clay. Keep in mind when you are running a business that time is money. I am not sure what you charge for your services but if you create a business plan with calculating your fixed and variable cost then you can judge how much you should be charging for your time. Then add the difference for the cost of the products you will be using for each service which will give you a ball park figure to charge. I hope that helped. Good Luck

so first of all i just have a basic question, if a customer doesnt want paint correction but still wants a coat of wax should you still clay the whole vehicle before applying?

second im wondering how the guys who are running detailing shops make money, if you were fast and good at what you do you might be able to do a car in half day (7-12:30) so how would you be making money on a few cars a day, if you had other employees you would be doing more cars but would have to pay there salaries, theres also heating, power, and payments on a building. so tell me guys how do you make a living at it.

My basic details start at $125 and that does not include any type of paint correction or claying.I will ask the customer if they want to spend more money to have a better surface and even show them the baggie test.9 out of 10 will say just wax it and dont worry about it.I still firmly believe my little town of 10,000 people sets my prices.No way in he!! anyone around here is gonna pay $250 plus for a detail even if I told them I could make the car brand new.I've got about 5 regular customers who now what a real detail is and they will pay to make their Mercedes or Escalade look like it should.The customer is always right and I do what they want.

I think most commercial shops around here (in the DC area) offer some sort of Wash/Machine Wax/interior clean/tire dressing "detail" for around $75-100. As far as I know none of them ever list "claying" in the process. So no, if a customer didn't ask for it or turned it down on your offer, don't worry at all about it.

Or look at it this way -- before any of us became true detaling nuts (you know, back in the Armor All days :D) we had never heard of clay or even realized our cars needed it. A wash and wax was all we gave our cars and we STILL stood back and said "yea, that looks good!". Well, that's the average driver. :2thumbs:

When i worked for the local Volvo dealer i was able to get 4-5 cars a day but i was able to work fast and that was the key. I was beat though when i got home every night. I have a small detail business i do in my spare time and my basics start out at 125 as well and then i explain what services can be added and what price. Most of my customers have no problem paying cause they know the products i use are first class (Adams) and the car is perfect when they get it back. But I do specialty cars so guess that doesn't count, I rarely do daily drivers anymore.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Archived