Customer Service 866.965.0400

Defective backing plate or Porter Cable?

SiegeX

Question

I've used my PC with the older 7.5" pads for ~6hr of total use and I recently took off the backing plate to find the black plastic washer/spacer has molded over the carbon fiber spacer that comes with the PC.

Has anybody seen this before? Do I have a defective backing plate or even worse a defective PC for this to happen? I would say that about out of the 6hr of use, the majority of it was at level 5 and only about 30mins were ever at full blown level 6.

Sorry for the out of focus pics, all I had on me was my iPhone. Hopefully they get the point across at what I'm seeing here.

8 answers to this question

Is the PC set up properly for 7.5 pads? Proper counterweight, etc? What kin of extension cord are you using (gauge)? Too much heat would be the only way to warp the parts, I think.

Is the PC set up properly for 7.5 pads? Proper counterweight, etc? What kin of extension cord are you using (gauge)? Too much heat would be the only way to warp the parts, I think.

I'll double check the gauge when I get home but I do know it is for 'shop use' and not just your standard run of the mill extension cord.

Funny you mention the counterweight because I had this very similar question in my other thread and the consensus seems to be as long as you use the PC on 5 and don't go crazy with the pressure the 5" counterweight should do the trick. I am fairly certain I didn't go gun ho on the pressure because I was a bit apprehensive using the PC at all on my new car, so I was pretty cognizant of that.

What appears to have happened is that somehow the black plastic washer was allowed to freely rotate against the backing plate which caused it to heat up due to the friction of it rubbing. This in turned softened the plastic such that it started to mold itself around the carbon fiber washer. Either that or the carbon fiber washer started to build up heat and that was transferred to the black washer which sounds equally as likely. However, I'm not quite sure how either scenario could play out because the backing plate was not loose in the slightest when I unscrewed it. Either way, I have a pretty fubar'd washer and I'm not sure how it got that way and if it's recommended to use the PC without it and just have the carbon fiber one.

:help:

I would definitely define that as abnormal, but the first move anytime you're not sure is to pick up the phone and call 866-965-0400 or shoot us an email tips@adamspolishes.com

Hi Dylan,

When you say "not sure" were you referring to how to properly use the PC, or what the cause of this warped washer could be?

If it's the former, at no point was I ever not sure how to use the PC because I watched and studied Adam's videos (as well as others) many times prior to ever putting the PC to my car due to my apprehension as mentioned earlier.

If its the later then I'll give you guys a call but this is the sort of thing that seems easier to describe in pictures so I was hoping I could get some consensus on what to do here before I make the call.

Hi Dylan,

When you say "not sure" were you referring to how to properly use the PC, or what the cause of this warped washer could be?

If it's the former, at no point was I ever not sure how to use the PC because I watched and studied Adam's videos (as well as others) many times prior to ever putting the PC to my car due to my apprehension as mentioned earlier.

If its the later then I'll give you guys a call but this is the sort of thing that seems easier to describe in pictures so I was hoping I could get some consensus on what to do here before I make the call.

First off, here's a chart which describes the proper extension cord to use with the PC-7424.

pc_extension_recommend.jpg

Second, call the number that Dylan posted and speak with Ashley. She will send you a new backing plate at no charge. Don't bang your head over the small stuff. Adam's has a 110% satisfaction guarantee. This is when you use it so use it!

Post back up after you talk to Ashley. :thumbsup:

Hi Dylan,

Actually... BOTH! :D

If you ever need help with a detail specific question you can call or email... if you ever have an issue with a product we sold you can call or email. Our support doesn't stop once you've started using the product... we 110% stand behind everything and the beauty of the modern world we live in is that the pictures you posted could be shot via email to myself, Ashley, Adam, or any other member of the team while we're on the phone with you. As you'll come to see we're all about speedy results.

Only reason I mention it is if you have any kind of issue the resolution is always much quicker when its brought directly to our attention, the forum is a slow means to communicate with us. I just happened to be on the forum shortly after you posted it, but otherwise the team wouldn't be on it and we don't want you to have to wait for a resolution to something, especially if it wasn't your fault.

Archived