Customer Service 866.965.0400

All this Toyota stuff...

Marylander

I'm surprised a Prius could actually hit 90! :lolsmack:

I was thinking that, too. My wife has one... it must have been a long ride up to that speed! :willy:

In all seriousness, I've driven my wife's car (2004 Prius) and pushed the gear lever over to N while holding the gas to the floor. Guess what? Goes right into neutral. And I've slammed on the brakes while accelerating at WOT around 40mph. Guess what? It stops. My honest opinion is that there may have been a very few real sudden acceleration cases/sticking pedals, but 99% of what's beating down Toyota is people jumping on the "I'm a victim" bandwagon. And a lot of driver error.

Agreed as well Rich and Jeff, the number of instances that were reported were not that many. The media loves stuff like this though, and like always, blew this up to be a HUGE deal. (I generally feel that the mass-media is populated by a high percentage of sensationalist goons, however.):willy:

There are recalls on most makes, but since Toyota doesn't get as many, seems they got a bunch of bad press.

Toyota employs a lot of people in this country, and I hate to see anyone lose their jobs over something that was an issue, blown out to be a HUGE issue.

I still drive a Ford, now with over 135K on the clock, and like the fact that it's been in for zero recalls since 2003, when new.

Must also say, my wife's V8 Land Cruiser/ Lexus is a strong runner with 105K on the clock, 10 years old, and the only issue was a broken door handle.

Toyota has made excellent vehicles for many years, however, they are engineered by humans, built by humans, and eventually, driven by humans.

Lot's of room for error when humans are involved, as perfect is reserved for ONE entity, and that' not the Toyota engineer, worker, etc. :)

they are engineered by humans, built by humans, and eventually, driven by humans.

Lot's of room for error when humans are involved,

Adam that is very well said.

Greed, to big to fast.:(

Sometimes that happens too, where a corporation puts profits above customer service.

BTW: I drive American (made in the USA) and German (assembled in USA).

Edited by DieselDude

I was very shocked to see a prius doing 90+!! The guy driving said he tried everything but was afraid to put into neutral because the car may flip over.(how that would even be possible I have no idea)

Sometimes it is just better to keep things simple!! There is so much computer control junk in a cars today that anytime something goes wrong or has a bad day the car goes nuts. The Firebird may not burn very clean, but there is not much that can go wrong!:burnout:

I was very shocked to see a prius doing 90+!! The guy driving said he tried everything but was afraid to put into neutral because the car may flip over.(how that would even be possible I have no idea)

Sometimes it is just better to keep things simple!! There is so much computer control junk in a cars today that anytime something goes wrong or has a bad day the car goes nuts. The Firebird may not burn very clean, but there is not much that can go wrong!:burnout:

I heard that guy say the line about putting it into N but was afraid it would flip and literally laughed out loud -- Come on, the guy's 61 years old and doesn't have any basic common sense about driving and physics?!? And this "uncontrolled run" lasted 20 minutes?!? In traffic? Think about how long 20 minutes is. Really, dude? Really?!?

If only every car just had a clutch and a competent driver. The world would be a much safer place.

In 1983 the Big Three inserted a mole into the Japanese auto industry whose job it was to plant little bugs in the future design pipeline which over time would lead to the issues they have today and more profit for the struggling US auto industry. Who here writes screenplays?

I think the problem is very real, but probably exaggerated. I think part of the problem is people panic and lose all common sense, you know like hit the brakes or put the car in neutral.

I hate to see American owned dealerships and factory workers get hurt by this but as far as toyota is concerned they are getting what they deserve. They've been too ****y for too long and it's catching up with them. They need this to get knocked down a few pegs so that they will get back to what made them a great car company.

I think the problem is very real, but probably exaggerated. I think part of the problem is people panic and lose all common sense, you know like hit the brakes or put the car in neutral.

I hate to see American owned dealerships and factory workers get hurt by this but as far as toyota is concerned they are getting what they deserve. They've been too ****y for too long and it's catching up with them. They need this to get knocked down a few pegs so that they will get back to what made them a great car company.

:iagree: Toyota seems to have been making the same mistake that GM, Ford and Chrysler made in the 70s and 80s -- dull products, resting on their laurels and not listening to the customers.

A buddy and I went to the DC auto show this year. It struck both of us that Toyota's entire current lineup is really boring. Just a lot of trucks, SUVs, Corollas and Camrys, all very cookie-cutter and "beige". And the materials used in the interiors was pretty low-rent, especially compared to Kia, Hyundai, Ford, GM, VW, Audi, etc. No sporty cars, no GTs, no niche vehicles -- literally nothing to get excited about.

The sad part is that Americans continue to line Japanese pockets. The Toyota dealership in my town just expanded.........and I'm talking a MAJOR expansion. But our Cadillac dealership, our Dodge dealership and our Chevrolet dealerships are all gone now. I will NEVER buy a Japanese company owned car. They may employ Americans, but ultimately the biggest profit goes back to Japan.

I will NEVER buy a Japanese company owned car. They may employ Americans, but ultimately the biggest profit goes back to Japan.

X2!!! I'm not Japanese so why would I drive one!

**This is just my view and my view alone!I realize people on here have many different kinds of cars, I just feel better buying American!!!

Edited by BrianT

I think alot of people did not come out about problems because there was no recall. My fathers friends wife has i belive to be a 01 camry. One day she reached in the door to start it, it went into gear went out of the garge across the street into a church parking lot and just went around in circles to someone stop it. Conciendce(SP) or not it might have something to do with the problem they are having now. And for Toyota problem, in Japan they look at things different then we do here in America:patriot:. They knew about this problem all along but in there culture making a recall is a huge sign a failure in their part. Also the head guys only new about it and only recognized it when it was a huge problem because they couldnt back door it anymore. Also in Japan they need to fight to get everything they have that why they kept it to there self for so long.

As for the American auto makers i think they went wrong like Rich said back in the 70's, 80's. They were putting out strong motor wise cars/trucks but they were using recycle metal and they were total crap. During this time toyota and all the other brand were coming in the market and were putting out a good product for the money that why toyota started to become so popular.

And i wish people would see that all the money goes back to some way shape or form japan. I under stand they do employee Americans but if we here in American were self suffiecnt in the Auto industry we could do the same also. But people dont seem to realize it. They also dont realize that if you buy pomogrant anything the are probably funding some type of terrorism. Because in Afghanistan there crash crop is pomogrants so the terrorist are getting ahold of the crash crop selling it to Americans and profiding the money to destory are country how ever it may be. People think that when terrorist say death to America they actual mean death. They mean anything whether it be money wise or shorten are food supply.

As for me i never cared for japanesse cars. i thought there were to much glitz and glammor to them. And the gas mileage and line up are horrible, could never understand why people think they get good gas mileage. I always saw the eye in chevy they give a good products for the most part because everything break get use to it. And the mileage is spot on.

I do not diss anybody for buying a japanesse car i just do not care for them. Also sorry for some mispelled words.

The sad part is that Americans continue to line Japanese pockets. The Toyota dealership in my town just expanded.........and I'm talking a MAJOR expansion. But our Cadillac dealership, our Dodge dealership and our Chevrolet dealerships are all gone now. I will NEVER buy a Japanese company owned car. They may employ Americans, but ultimately the biggest profit goes back to Japan.

Same here, I find it funny when people knock American build cars and trucks but anytime someone gets in my car or truck they ALL talk about how nice they are. People need to let go of the 80's bias against American made cars. Yes, they made crap then but they make some good products at a good price now :patriot:

I'm surprised a Prius could actually hit 90! :lolsmack:

Now maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't the driver have turned the key off???? I know steering and braking may be a little harder, but not impossible. And besides, it was on a hiway where the road is mostly straight anyway.

He claims he tried everything. And even the cop said the guy was literally standing on the brakes. He was afraid to shift it into neutral, so I imagine he was afraid to turn off the key too. Yeah, he had options, but he was scared..... I guess. :confused: