Customer Service 866.965.0400

College kid from Saint Louis

FiveOhJob

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be awesome if you came to STL for a clinic, I would definately attend that. I can bring the red 5.0 down there, my white 96gsr or my mom's nasty *** white 04 yukon haha.

So when you say the polish shaves a bit of the clearcoat off the car to removes the scratches, how many times can you do this before the clear coat is basically gone and only paint is left?

That would be awesome if you came to STL for a clinic, I would definately attend that. I can bring the red 5.0 down there, my white 96gsr or my mom's nasty *** white 04 yukon haha.

So when you say the polish shaves a bit of the clearcoat off the car to removes the scratches, how many times can you do this before the clear coat is basically gone and only paint is left?

It depends on...

A) How much clear coat is on the car to begin with, and...

B) What compounds and the polisher you use to correct the paint with.

Now here's the good news. You are NOT going to cut any significant amount of clear coat off the car real fast using SHR and the PC. The PC sacrifices power for safety. That's why it takes so long to fix really bad damage when using the PC. This is generally true with any orbital polisher. Now if you pick up a rotary and some heavy cutting compound, you could wipe the clear coat AND paint off the car in a matter of seconds.

So my mustang should be fine.. it has 18k miles on it. Clear coat should have alot left, correct? As for my 96' integra with 180k.. idk about that one?

If you haven't taken a machine to them, there's no question that the Stang is okay, but it depends on where the other was housed. Garage or driveway? Is the paint faded?

I'll go take pictures of all the cars tomorrow and post them up. Only hand claybar/wax has ever been on the mustang, and my car. I've never used a machine before in my life. Paint is immaculate on the mustang, integra's paint still looks great.

I'll go take pictures of all the cars tomorrow and post them up. Only hand claybar/wax has ever been on the mustang, and my car. I've never used a machine before in my life. Paint is immaculate on the mustang, integra's paint still looks great.

Make sure the pictures are close-up like you see in my threads.

It will very easy to make that paint pop.Not much work at all. You may not have to use SHR on that paint but it's hard to say without seeing it in person. I would start with FMP/white pad after you get the wash and claying done just to see if it takes care of the scratches and swirls. If not, you can always move up to SHR/orange pad.

Thats what I was thinking. I claybar and waxed it about 5 months ago, and the car has only seen the road for a total of 3 hours since then probably. Still feels silky smoothe. The white cars outside are a different story. Those pictures will be up tomorrow after class.

It will very easy to make that paint pop.Not much work at all. You may not have to use SHR on that paint but it's hard to say without seeing it in person. I would start with FMP/white pad after you get the wash and claying done just to see if it takes care of the scratches and swirls. If not, you can always move up to SHR/orange pad.

:iagree::banana:

Cool. I've got 6 cars lined up as of right now. Going to start next week by hand on some with nice paint without many swirls as I normally did. Going to practice on one of the 3 cars I have at the house with the PC to get better with it before I tackle other customers cars. Probably start a thread with before/after pictures of all the car's I do and how it turns out. Maybe show my progression as getting better at detailing. See all your inputs and recommendations.

This is an outstanding picture you have taken that shows the amount of damage in your paint. It is in focus and you've used a light source to help highlight the damage. For anyone wanting to post a picture that shows the condition of your paint, this is how you go about it.

DSCN1208.jpg

With that said, it is going to make an excellent practice car.

thanks. it was very bright outside today and the sun was shining. should have gotten pictures of the mustang too, but didnt get around to it. should i start with the most aggressive polish at first? or should i use a finisher first to see if some swirls and scratches come out?

thanks. it was very bright outside today and the sun was shining. should have gotten pictures of the mustang too, but didnt get around to it. should i start with the most aggressive polish at first? or should i use a finisher first to see if some swirls and scratches come out?

On a car that old with that much damage, DEFINITELY start with SHR. That will take some time to fix.

Cool, will start this next week during spring break. My PC should be in on the 15th they said so hopefully Adams has some speedy delivery to get my pads and polishes here before the DA!

I'll create a thread to timeline my progress on my cars and see how I'm improving.

Cool AJ. Next time I'm in Louisville to visit my Godfather, I'll meet up with you and you can show me a few things! He lives by Polo Fields Country Club if thats anywhere near you.

Hell no! You have to actually have money to live out there! The buck doesn't even pause when it gets to me! :willy:

Look me up. He's probably 15 miles away. :thumbsup:

Archived