Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clear Polish

Cygnus

Question

Is Clear Polish corrective at all or is just for cleaning and protecting? The description has the latter but doesn't mention correction at all. I noticed tonight I have a small scratch in my clear bra. The Clear Polish page says to not use abrasive polishes on it, so I'm wondering if Clear Polish will correct it.

16 answers to this question

I've been using Americana, BSG, DS, and WCW on mine (Clear Polish was delivered today). I don't know if it's "proper", but waxing and BSG seem to make it look better.

Just be careful when waxing at the edge of it. It's easy to get a little bit of build up at the seam. You can get left with a white edge. Americana is a real pain to get out once it dries in. So make sure you hit the edges really well when wiping.

Well, I ordered the clear polish along with some other stuff (more detail spray!), so I'll let you know how it works out on my clear bra.

I hope I can buff out some of the microscratches the installer left on it. After he finished putting the clear bra on, I went out to see how he was doing, and he was wiping the clear bra off with a dirty towel. I said "there are swirl marks in it now." He said "those aren't swirl marks, they'll disappear when it dries."

I'm not so optimistic. I'm hoping the clear polish can fix it.

I had a realization today about another Clear Polish use for me, the wind deflector. The deflector is the glass piece that sits between the roll bars on the Boxster to keep the cabin calmer. It's not really glass though, it's plexiglass. So Clear Polish should be perfect for keeping it looking good like it does the bra and headlights.

I asked the 3M installer when he did my car if I should use the clear polish on the 3M film part of my car. He said to just wash it and wax it - no polish. Maybe he isn't aware that Adam's clear polish in non abrasive? So what to do?

I'm guessing he wasn't aware of Clear Polish being made for bras. He probably thought it was something akin to Revive or FMP and that's why you got the answer that you did. Clear Polish is safe for use on it.

I had been simply washing and waxing mine, with no problems. The GTO has only 6,500 miles on it since '06, shouldn't need much more than that. However, on my DD Company Car, I installed the same company's clear film over the headlights when new and they are all marked up from being hit with road debris. Washing and waxing these did little more than clean them, and make them slippery. The Adams Clear Polish brought them back closer to original. I'd almost have to argure that there's no abrasive in the Clear Polish. While applying it, as it dries, I can feel it become slightly abrasive. No harm has been done to the, reletively new, Clear Bra on the Goat (with two applications to date), and I'll continue to apply the product to the Bra when I wax her paint.

Do a "test" spot in an inconspicuous area first, to satisfy yourself.

I asked the 3M installer when he did my car if I should use the clear polish on the 3M film part of my car. He said to just wash it and wax it - no polish. Maybe he isn't aware that Adam's clear polish in non abrasive? So what to do?

I agree with Cygnus, don't get the wax against the seam and if you do wipe it out immediatly, before it has a chance to dry.

I get wax against it every time I've waxed. I just make sure to wipe the seam really well. I always go right to it since I want to make sure that all of the paint is waxed for both looks and protection. Waxing is by hand with Americana, so I do ease up a little right at the edge to not risk peeling the bra. For the same reason, I do tape it off and treat it like a panel edge when using S&H or FMP with the PC. Getting the edge slightly raised will allow water and other contaminates to get under and start causing problems.

Before I purchased my Bottle of Clear Polish I called and asked, "No need to wax the bra anymore: the Clear Polish is both a cleaner and protectant". I agree with Cygnus, don't get the wax against the seam and if you do wipe it out immediatly, before it has a chance to dry. I use the plastic toothpick from my Swiss Army knife to clean out any that does get along the seam. Wax there makes the seam stand out. I use WCW and DS on mine. BSG shouldn't do it any harm, however I've not used that product, if it dries to a haze (which I think it does) I wouldn't use it since that means there's enough product to have to remove like a wax and if you get sloppy or don't get it all off it'll end up againgst the seam.

I'm having a clear bra put on my car next week. Should I only use only the clear polish on it? I mean, should I wax or use brilliant spray glaze on it after using the clear polish? (I'm assuming it's ok to use detail spray on it when needed.)

Thanks!

Where is the scratch located on the car? If in an inconspicuous area, I might try a light polish, buy hand, rubbing in the direction of the scratch. If in a fairly visibale area I'd leave it alone realizing the bra did what it's there for: to protect the paint.

Thanks for the info.

How bad is the scratch? Any pics?:confused:

To me it looks fairly bad. I finally got a decent picture of it. This was taking with a super macro at about 1 cm, so it's not as bad as the picture might lead you to believe. THe entire scratch is about 1.3 inches long.

From the sound of it, there's not much correction that I can do on it other than replacing the bra. On the plus side, it is in the bra and not my paint. ;) I'm just wondering how it happened. Only thing I can think of is that someone passing by brushed up against it with something.

4429752571_10a4d81609_o.jpg

I use Adam's Clear Polish and have not noticed any of the small fine scratches or maks in the clear bra being removed. It does seem to give the area covered by the bra, the same "pop" as the rest of the cars finish. I, like Dylan, use it to "clean and protect/prevent discoloration and yellowing". I tried a fine polish on a small "skuf" and it simply began to make the area cloudy, so I stopped.

Clear polish is SPECIFICALLY formulated for use on 3M clear bra material (and similar materials) It contains no abrasives. If you intend to use it for fixing scratches on your clear bra first try it by hand and see where it gets you, if that doesn't work step up to either a white machine polish pad or a blue hand polishing pad. The main use for Clear polish is more to clean and protect/prevent discoloration and yellowing, but I have used it in some cases to remove light scratches with the aid of a foam pad.

The material that clear bras are constructed of is kind of unusual... its soft, but rather resistant to scratching... proceed with the usual "least aggressive" approach and see where it takes you.

It really is a great product to address an area that many people have but don't have a solution to care for. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.

I may have to try this machine method on my 3m rally stripes...

Clear polish is SPECIFICALLY formulated for use on 3M clear bra material (and similar materials) It contains no abrasives. If you intend to use it for fixing scratches on your clear bra first try it by hand and see where it gets you, if that doesn't work step up to either a white machine polish pad or a blue hand polishing pad. The main use for Clear polish is more to clean and protect/prevent discoloration and yellowing, but I have used it in some cases to remove light scratches with the aid of a foam pad.

The material that clear bras are constructed of is kind of unusual... its soft, but rather resistant to scratching... proceed with the usual "least aggressive" approach and see where it takes you.

It really is a great product to address an area that many people have but don't have a solution to care for. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.

Archived