Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brake Questions

OIF Vet

I have a question for you mechanics on here. My brakes started to squeak when breaking and when my truck gets going from a dead stop. I have only 36,450 miles on my truck (2005). I had my rotors turned back in 2007 so my question is do you think that I need just new pads or rotors and pads? Any information would be great. Thanks.

Rob

It is normal to squeak When your trucks sets for a little the rotors will start to rust etc. which will make it squeak which is nothing to worry about. On the other hand it might be your wear sensors on the pads. Some pads have this some dont. The wear sensor is a metal bar that is attack to the pads when they get low the metal hits the rotor which tell you that you need new pads. If you pull off your tire you can tell if you need new pads. I am 99% sure it is not the rotors.

I have only 36,450 miles on my truck (2005). I had my rotors turned back in 2007 so my question is do you think that I need just new pads or rotors and pads? Any information would be great.

(Front Brakes I am going to guess). Did you buy the truck new? New pads and just have the rotors turned. I usually get between 40,000 - 50,000 out of a set of front brakes and I use Semi-Metallic Pads. Look at the pads and see how much is left before it gets down to the metal part of the pad. Could be a wear sensor telling you that your pads are get wore to the point of replacement. I always have the rotors turned when I do a brake job on a vehicle.

Not sure if you can tell where the sound is actually coming from, but I had a problem like this, and it had nothing to do with the brakes. I used to live on a gravel road, and a rock had managed to get stuck somewhere in the area of the brakes and caused them to squeak. I took it in, they found the rock, removed, and the noise was gone. Not that this is your issue, but I just wanted to let you know it's possible it's not the brakes.

Thanks guys. I am the only owner of my truck and I have never replaced the pads. I've had the rotors turned but that was a few years ago. When I brake the front end stays straight and there isn't any sway or vibration. Here is another questions. Since I am running a 33" mud terrain tires should I upgrade my rotors to slotted and or drilled? I was going to just buy Hawk LTS pads for the front and rear but I've been hearing conflicting stories about the rotors. Thanks again guys.

Rob

Let me turn you on to the Wagner brand of brake pad. Absolutely no squeaking and no noticeable brake dust unless you don't wash the car for a month. O'reilly's carries them with a lifetime warranty. Not cheap but worth every penny. I run them all around my Corvette.

Let me turn you on to the Wagner brand of brake pad. Absolutely no squeaking and no noticeable brake dust unless you don't wash the car for a month. O'reilly's carries them with a lifetime warranty. Not cheap but worth every penny. I run them all around my Corvette.

You had me worried for a minute AJ when I read the first few words. Let me turn you on..... :lolsmack:

I don't mind spending a few extra dollars when it comes to brakes. Thanks for the information.

Rob

Wagner brand of brake pad.

You might want to price the Wagner Brand for your truck. I have had three sets of pads and have been impressed with them and one set of brake shoes.

Absolutely no squeaking and no noticeable brake dust unless you don't wash the car for a month.

I have the Wagner Semi-Metallic Pads and they do not put out alot of dust but it will show if you do not wash your truck for like a month or two. I could not keep the rims clean on the Mercedes and changed them to Wagner Semi-Metalliac and now the rims stay clean.

Also, I am going to try one set on Hawk out and compare the two brands. I plan on installing them in the next couple of weeks.

Archived