Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clear Coat on Wheels

Midnight1700

Question

10 answers to this question

I've got a set of wheels that has the clear coat coming off. I need to remove all of the clear coat so I can polish the wheels to make them look good. Is there an easy way to remove the existing clear coat on the wheels?

A gel stripper has always worked well for me in the past. I doubt they're powder coated but if they are you'll know it pretty soon. It doesn't like to come off... lol

You can get the paint stripper at Lowes or the like. Just follow the instructions.

Chris

A gel stripper has always worked well for me in the past.

You can get the paint stripper at Lowes or the like. Just follow the instructions.

Chris

Is there a specific brand you'd recommend over others? Will it be labeled as automotive use only?

I've had a similar interest in removing my crappy clear from my wheels. Once the clear is off, will polishing be enough? Or is it time to polish then re-clear coat (durability aside). I don't mind the upkeep of uncleared wheels, as long as I can get billet results or close to it.

Getting billet look out of non billet wheels is probably not going to happen.

I've gone to Lowes and just bout good 'ol gel paint stripper in a can just like shown above. Read the back and see what it says.

You have to let it sit for a bit, but it WILL remove it. Then using a stiff brush I scrubbed off all the crud.

Chris

Keep us updated.:2thumbs:

I'll make sure I take before and after pictures of the wheels. I hope to get going on it this Saturday afternoon. Saturday morning I'm putting on a Motorcycle Wash and BBQ for our bike club. I will be introducing some of the Adam's products. I'm really looking forward to this.

Archived