Customer Service 866.965.0400

your thoughts on 3M clear bra?

Darth_Emma

Question

I just got a quote for about $650 to have a 3M clear bra installed on my Camaro. I'd love to know what you folks think about those. I hear they do a great job protecting from paint chips, but some think they add a bit of "orange peel" look to the areas they are applied to.

My car has no chips in the paint yet (it only has 200 miles on it). I am seriously considering this. The same guy who is going to tint my windows also installs these, so I can have both done the same day.

As always, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Can you see my bra? :D

Good choice Emma...

You know what's cool here is that it's TOTALLY removable and it doesn't scratch the finish like other methods do!

I have my WHOLE front end covered up. I can see the line but MOST people can't tell until they get close. G8's are known for their thin paint so IMO it was well worth the money. In NO way would I compare this paint with a BMW or Mercedes. This paint is pure CRAP! Oh and I got a rock chip on the TOP of my trunk last winter. People in CA and other warm climates really have NO idea the abuse our cars take. From sand to salt and everything in between.

If it looks like crap in a few years... Peel it off. :2thumbs:

Chris

You could clearbra the entire hood after you have the custom paint work applied.

Do the front clip up to the seam lines and then cover the hood. You shouldn't see any seams at all then.

Heck some people wrap their entire cars in film.

well what I would do personally is just go with a front clear bra only on the bumper itself and if you are worried about the hood go get a tradition hood bra to just put on during the work week to help keep it protected and take it on the weekends. I would do the same for my car but the dang paint on my mirrors, bumper, and hood are so chipped up it wouldnt do me any good.

Terri, the first chips that I got were on my hood. I guess the stone bounced up over the nose and I can see the 3 spots that it hit. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Yea, see, that's the thing... If you only put the clear bra on part way, you'll be kicking yourself when you get a chip just past where you stopped. It's one of those things that keep us freaks up at night! :lol:

Rich

Thanks. I have decided to have the clear bra put on my Camaro. My only decision is whether I want it put on the hood too. I think I will ask him if he can just put it on the facia, bumper, and mirrors. The hood doesn't some to the nose of the car, so it isn't as exposed to chips.

The main reason it, I want to have some paint work done on the hood. After the paint on the hood has cured for a few months, then I'll have him put the piece on the hood.

I attached a picture to show you what I mean.

Terri you have heard all the pros and cons. I had one put on my G8 about a month after I bought the car and I already had chips on the nose and I was trying to stay back too. I personally would rather see the line than all the chips that this low nose would have on it. maybe some people have better roads and not as much crap kicked up, but I know how Ohio is. A co-worker here is having his clear bra put on his G8 this weekend because of all the chips he is seeing. You will see the bra, it is a personal decision of chips or the look of the bra. I chose bra.

I thought about getting one for my Jetta, but then I had the following thoughts:

1) Seeing the line across the hood would bug me just as much as seeing a few little chips

2) $650 would be enough to get the bumper repainted 5 years down the line, if needed

3) I'm planning on putting 100K or more miles on this car. Stuff is going to happen anyway

4) It's a freaking Jetta. :jester:

:iagree: I was thinking about this for the new Volvo. My wife took it to Dallas the past couple of days, and when she got back, I saw that she had acquired of couple of rock chips on the bumper. You have to get down and be looking for them to find them, but they're more noticeable since the car is white. However, this is the family car, so it's going to be driven quite a bit. I just don't like already seeing rock chips on brand new paint. It's knowing they are there that drives me nuts.:willy:

Check out the thread I did a while ago:

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4806

The Clear Bra is for Protection, not perfection and does not add to the paints "Orange Peel" much, if at all. My GTO a show car and places well even with the bra (both at local and National events). It isn't very visible unless you're right up against it or pack wax up against the seam. I don't trailer the car, I love to drive it and don't want the clear or paint damaged. Yes, the same money would probably get the bumper repainted down the road, however you only have the original paint once.

I thought about getting one for my Jetta, but then I had the following thoughts:

1) Seeing the line across the hood would bug me just as much as seeing a few little chips

2) $650 would be enough to get the bumper repainted 5 years down the line, if needed

3) I'm planning on putting 100K or more miles on this car. Stuff is going to happen anyway

4) It's a freaking Jetta. :jester:

I think that's what they do from the pictures I've seen. I'm not crazy about the hood seam either. They also do the back of the mirrors, but they do that from edge to edge as well. I think it will look ok. Thanks for your advice.

I think I will have them put the clear bra on the bumper and facia and not put it on the hood at all. I don't like the idea of having a line on the hood either. Also, I'm thinking about having hood spears painted on my hood.

On your color I don't think you will notice the lines or orange peel. If I drive my cars on the interstate I put on a Colgan traditional bra.As soon as I reach my destination I take it off. No more than I take road trips it works for me.If you go with a clear bra you have to make sure your paint is corrected before install.:pc:

www.colgancustom.com

I think it depends on the car. Maybe doing your bumper would be good. The camaro shouldn't be too bad at taking rocks to the front. I was looking at my buddy's 2010 camaro ss the other day and was thinking that a clear bra wouldn't help him a ton.

Now with a car that has a design like my Boxster, I think it's a must have. The low, sloping hood is a rock magnet and gets beat on. I've had the car for 2 months now and it has already paid for itself. Mainly because I got pelted 2 weeks ago driving home from Vega.

Archived